Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
GREENFREAKENFOCUS
AF Newbie

Stalling Problem 2002 Ford Focus 56000 Miles

I GOT A 2002 FORD FOCUS SE WITH 56000 MILES IT JUST STARTED SPUTERING AT LOW RPMs. I THOUGH I HAD BAD FUEL ADDED STP FUEL CLEANER TO THE GAS TANK AND PROBLEM PERSISTED. THE ENGINE LIGHT TURNED ON TOOK IT TO THE MECHANIC THE CODE WAS CYLINDER 3 WAS MISFIREING. HE GAVE THE CAR A TUNE UP (NEW PLATINUM PLUG, CABLES, AIR FILTER, FUEL FILTER ETC...). I PICKED UP THE CAR AND WAS FINE THE FOLLOWING DAY SAME PROBLEM STARTED AGAIN. TOOK THE CAR BACK TO THE MECHANIC AND SAME CODE CYLINDER 3 MISFIREING. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE INTERMITEN. THE MECHANIC IS REPLACING THE IGNITION COIL TODAY. HOPEFULLY THAT WILL FIX IT. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM OR SOMETHING SIMILAR??? I HAVE BEEN READING ON LINE THAT FORD FOCUSES HAVE A LOT OF STALLING PROBLEMS. ANY RECOMENDADTION. i WILL PICK UP THE CAR TODAY 3/25/2005. I WILL KEEP YOU GUYS INFORMED TO SEE IF PROBLEM IS FIXED.

JULIO
GREENFREAKENFOCUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
Mustangman25
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Mustangman25
Re: Stalling Problem 2002 Ford Focus 56000 Miles

Please do write what happens after he replaces the coil...I've had sputtering and stalling problems on my 00 Focus with about 67K miles, and replaced the wires and plugs which didn't do much...I read on another forum that someone had the same problem, and they changed out their ignition coil which solved the whole thing. If you say the same thing, I'll take it that a new coil solving the problem wasn't just a one shot deal, and that it actually does work. I found an OEM parts store online that has it for $55, so if that and less then an hour of my time is all it takes to fix it, then I'll go ahead with it. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2005, 06:54 PM   #3
GREENFREAKENFOCUS
AF Newbie

Problem Solved

Picked Up The Car From The Mechanic With The New Ignition Coil And The Stalling Problem Went Away.
GREENFREAKENFOCUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:27 PM   #4
Mustangman25
AF Enthusiast

Great news...I'll have to order a new coil now. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-03-2005, 11:55 PM   #5
vintweed
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to vintweed

Tell your tech you want the ECU flash upgraded to the '04 spec code. That should of been done as part of his diagnosis/repair as far as I'm concerned...
My '02 sometimes stalled when pushing in the clutch from high speed/coasting to a stop...
The '04 flash fixed this, and other issues as well
vintweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
Mustangman25
AF Enthusiast

I don't know how much that would do...this isn't just a stall, but a very very rough idle. I've read on numerous other sites that a new coil will solve the whole problem, so I would consider that to be a pretty good solution...cheaper too.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
focus379
AF Newbie

Question Re: Stalling Problem 2002 Ford Focus 56000 Miles

Are you guys still having problems with stalling or did the new ignition coil solve everything? My 2002 Ford Focus has a rough idle (sometimes stalls) and resists acceleration within the first few minutes after starting the car. The Ford dealer said he didn't know what was causing it and has never heard of the problem before. He fixed something about the air bypass filter/system, but that did not solve the problem AND it cost me $180. Is this similar to the problems you guys had???
focus379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 04:34 PM   #8
Mustangman25
AF Enthusiast

Yes...still experiencing rough idle from time to time. The coil and plug/wire replacement certainly helped, as did a new fuel pump under the Ford recall.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #9
focus379
AF Newbie

Re: Problem Solved

Has your car stopped idling? See my notes at the end of this thread.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:44 PM   #10
focus379
AF Newbie

Red face

I've also noticed that if I shift the car to neutral from reverse or drive, it seems to "reset" itself. I can feel it knock itself out of the rough idle and the problem seems to go away. Sometimes I have to do it 2-3 times, but it makes the rough idle stop. Any suggestions? What does the lack of acceleration mean?

The car only does it when I'm starting it cold or for the first time in a few hours.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
Mustangman25
AF Enthusiast

Hmm...the other times I've heard of this problem, it's only after the car has warmed up. I've noticed as well that shifting it into neutral definitely helps some, but doesn't totally solve the problem. I would try some of the things mentioned in this thread, (coil, wires, plugs, fuel pump) starting with the cheap stuff first, to see if they make any difference at all.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:04 PM   #12
bkwfocus
AF Newbie

2000 Ford Focus rough idle now stalls

my 2000 focus se, 2.0L SPI, with 82k began to recently run rough at idle then progressed to stalling at longer lengths of idle. The condition starts once the engine warms after 2-5 minutes. I 1st tried gas treatment. I replaced the ignition coil as suggested in the other threads, but it has not improved the problem. I had the fuel pump recall-replaced 2 years ago. I would guess that a bad fuel pump would exhibit loss of power at all engine speeds? Before I proceed to replace plug wires and plugs, any other helpful suggesions?
bkwfocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:09 PM   #13
Mustangman25
AF Enthusiast

There are a bunch of threads on this...a common cause is parts of the EGR system, especially the DPFE sensor. Plugs and wires will help, could be a vacuum leak, or a multitude of things.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:28 AM   #14
lethomas15701
AF Newbie

Not Starting after warming up...

I have no idea if I have the same situation as everyone else here. Recently, I have been experiencing problems with my 2001 Ford Focus SE where if I take it to run errands, it will start fine initially and then I will turn the car off run an errand and go back to start the car and it won't start. If you sit and wait, anywhere from 20 minutes to 5 hours, it will eventually start. If it doesn't start you can run it but you have to do the two foot driving method, one foot on the gas at all times. I took it to a Ford Dealership and they replaced the entire Fuel System. The day after I got it back, I had an errand to run and it happened again. I took it back to the same dealership and they kept my car for a week, testing it and claim they could not get it to happen. Since I got it back, it has happened to me several times. I called the dealership and the only thing they could suggest is to replace the coil, plugs and wires because that "might" be the problem. I hate to put more money into fixing something that might fix it, no guarantee. I have obviously replaced the entire fuel system for no reason already. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated...
lethomas15701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:34 AM   #15
Mustangman25
AF Enthusiast

Replaced the entire fuel system??? I think that that dealer was taking you for a bit of a ride there...the emissions system, specifically the EGR system, as well as a possible vaccum leak could be the problem. You may want to have your dealer look at that, and possibly a different dealer...I wouldn't trust one who tried to rip me off like that.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max