Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
microlost2000
AF Newbie

how much to change timing belt

i have a 94 passport v6, with 116k miles, the guy that sold it to me told me he never change the timing belt on it, how much does it cost to get it done in the dealer? since it has the Isuzu engine on it, is it better to go to the Isuzu dealer? and how difficult to change myself? i am short in money, if it is too expensive, then i might do it my self.
microlost2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:23 PM   #2
RodeoJunkie
AF Newbie

Re: how much to change timing belt

I spent close to $400 and did it myself. I changed out a lot of parts while I was in there, but I'm glad I did. The belt itself cost $50 here in Memphis at an Isuzu dealer. I bought a kit from NAPA that included the tensioner pulley, Idiler pulley, timing belt. The kit cost $136. While inside I repalced the: water pump $68, auto tensioner $66. I then bolted all that back up, went ahead and cleaned the outside of the radiator while I had it off with some of that PurplePower Cleaner. Installed radiator, I put a new thermostat in while I was at it $12 for it and the gasket. My old thermastat was bad, the rubber on the inside was bad, was allowing fluid to pass while closed. I replaced all outside belts (P/S,ALT.,P/S) $30.
Once all was back on I put radiator flush $5 in and filled up with water and drove for a couple of days. I then flushed the raditaor and put in antifreeze $10. What sparked this whole thing was my Fan Bracket locked up.........me being a novice on Isuzu looked in and thought it was the water pump........WRONG! You can't even see the water pump on the V6 3.2L. I had to change that out $158. (Total cost $544)
Since I had it down, I figured what the heck, I bought my 97 used and it had 50,000 miles on it then. It's got 83,000 on it now and I knew the timing belt, regular belts, water pump, or tensioner had NOT been replaced. After reading different post on this web site they say dont change one with out the other when fooling with the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner.......so there you go. The job itself is not hard just time consuming, I bought the manual from Auto Zone when I first bought the Rodeo. The instructions and pictures are to the "T". It helped me a lot. This web site is also great, there are guys on here that know this like the back of their hand. SO DIVE IN!!!!!!
OH, the prices I quoted may be cheaper than what you find, being a Fireman, we get a GRACIOUS, and much APPRECIATED discount at NAPA. There is no telling what it would have cost me if the dealer did everything I did..........GOOD LUCK!
1955 Chevy 2DR Sedan Bel-Air "sweet"
RodeoJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:13 AM   #3
Canucklehead
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Canucklehead
Re: how much to change timing belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlost2000
i have a 94 passport v6, with 116k miles, the guy that sold it to me told me he never change the timing belt on it, how much does it cost to get it done in the dealer? since it has the Isuzu engine on it, is it better to go to the Isuzu dealer? and how difficult to change myself? i am short in money, if it is too expensive, then i might do it my self.
I got mine done at the dealer a year and a half ago and it cost me about $650. That included the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, three new drive belts and coolant replacement. Labor was $227.50 ($65 an hour for 3.5 hours) and parts were just under $400.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU