Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
morado33
AF Newbie

Unhappy Key Stuck! HELP

My key is stuck in the ignition. The car turns on, i just cannot pull out the key. I've had to park my car at work with key still stuck in the ignition until I can get this matter resolved. The key is a regular key, does not have a chip. Please help, any suggestions r greatly appreciated.
morado33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:58 AM   #2
SOLSTER
AF Regular

not to offend, but a search of "key stuck" turned up 5 hits. try this thread:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ight=key+stuck

I saw another thread with a simliar title, so do a search on those keywords, I'm sure that's a good place to start.

SOSLTER
Old 03-11-2005, 08:35 AM   #3
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Re: Key Stuck! HELP

I've been meaning to add this to the FAQ's since this has popped up a could of times in the last month. And it is there now.

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
mscorderosman
AF Newbie

Sounds like the teeth on the inside of the ignition lock are broken, and cannot let the key out. You need to replace the ignition lock cylinder and replace the keys. Only way to do it.
mscorderosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Re: Re: Key Stuck! HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscorderosman
Sounds like the teeth on the inside of the ignition lock are broken, and cannot let the key out. You need to replace the ignition lock cylinder and replace the keys. Only way to do it.

no.

Car Show Tips

Old 03-11-2005, 07:11 PM   #6
morado33
AF Newbie

Hey everyone thanks for the advice. But one thing I did not mention is that I was able to get the key out once I opened up the panel under the steering wheel, but it happend again. I just need to try to figure what to do so it won't happen again. I'm gonna try a couple of things and I'll check back.
morado33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #7
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Key Stuck! HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by morado33
Hey everyone thanks for the advice. But one thing I did not mention is that I was able to get the key out once I opened up the panel under the steering wheel, but it happend again. I just need to try to figure what to do so it won't happen again. I'm gonna try a couple of things and I'll check back.
There is an ignition lock cable that runs from under the steering wheel to under the floor console shifter. If the cable binds up on anything the key will not release. Removing that panel may have moved that cable enough to release the key. Try to reposition the cable if it happens again.
G/luck!
Joel
Old 03-12-2005, 11:20 AM   #8
ammie
AF Newbie

I've had that happen to me about 2 years ago. Dealer fixed it no charge because it was under warranty. Had something to do with a cable (somewhere) LOL
~Ammie
ammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:03 PM   #9
rodeoron
AF Newbie

Hey Pal I Had The Same Problem A Couple Times Myself, On My 01 Rodeo, I Found That The Gear Shifter Was Not Locking In The Park Postion, Played Around With Shifter And Finaly Locked, By Locked I Mean You Have To Pit Your Foot On The Brake To Realese. But I Think Its A Problem With The Shifter Linkage,

I
rodeoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
Uncle Pow
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Pow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoron
Hey Pal I Had The Same Problem A Couple Times Myself, On My 01 Rodeo, I Found That The Gear Shifter Was Not Locking In The Park Postion, Played Around With Shifter And Finaly Locked, By Locked I Mean You Have To Pit Your Foot On The Brake To Realese. But I Think Its A Problem With The Shifter Linkage,

I
Same here, I just worry that this may lead to a bigger problem over time and eventually I won't be able to get the key out at all....
Austin, TX
Uncle Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
mag1964
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Key Stuck! HELP

I had this happen to me. There is a black cable that runs from the steering column to the shifter. You can push up on the cable and it will release the keep, however it will continue to lock until you get it fixed. I took it to the dealer and they had to take the dash out to replace screw that came out, I believe it cost me about $200 bucks. Of course most of it was labor.
mag1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:33 PM   #12
egc519mzl
AF Newbie

I was able to find a pattern on how to remove the keys from my friend's 98 auto Passport.

- Press and hold the button on the shifter with your thumb.
- Turn the key counterclockwise (towards the lock position) with light pressure. You will hear or feel something engaging inside the switch assembly
- Release the button on the shifter
- Voila! I was able to fully turn the key to the lock position.

This is only a workaround to remove the keys. I will try to do the following in order and see which one will fix it.
1. I will try a duplicate or the spare key and see if I could remove it easily.
2. I will try to look at the black cable that runs from the steering column to the shifter
3. Replace the ignition lock.
egc519mzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #13
alphabakada
AF Newbie

I had this problem and ended up taking everything apart and figuring out how it works to get it fixed. The problem can either be electrical or mechanical.

Image1

There are four main components in the electrical part of this sytem: 1) the stop light switch above the brake pedal 2) the selector park switch inside the selector housing 3) a relay switch that connects to the two aforementioned switches and 4) a solenoid that interfaces with the mechanical side of the system.

Image2

To check the relay switch, replace it with one from under the hood (I used the headlight one). To check the switches, activate each one seperately while listening to the relay switch. Each one should cause the relay to click. To check the solenoid remove the cover around the selector and look to see if it is operating. It should engage when the brake is depressed or released.

The mechanical side of the system consists of a mechanism in the steering column connected to a cable that runs to the selector. It keeps you from A) being able to remove the key unless the selector is switched to park and B) being able to put the car in gear without the key switched to on.

Image3

If the cable is too tight (short), the keys will get stuck in the ignition. If it is too loose (long) then you will be able to shift the car into gear with the keys switched to off.

There is an adjustor on the selector end of the cable that will allow you to prevent either from happening (see Image2 above). To adjust the cable, detach it from the selector mechanism and unmount the adjustor. Remove the lock from the adjustor. There are tabs on either side holding it into place (see Image4).

Image4

Remount the adjustor and reconnect the cable to the mechanism. Put the key in the ignition switch (if it isn't stuck there already) and then turn it to the on position. Grab the cable housing near the ajustor and pull it away from the adjustor. This will cause the mechanism in the steering column to push flush against the pin that pops up from the ignition switch. Put the adjustor lock back into place and push it in firmly. It is designed to pull the cable housing into the adjustor to allow just the right amount of slack in the cable.

That should do it!

Last edited by alphabakada; 01-03-2008 at 09:40 AM.
alphabakada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #14
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

if the above post by alphabakada is verified by another, this info and photos (especially if they can be made larger) seems like a perfect candidate for addition to the FAQ, imo. good info. thanks.

//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.
trooperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #15
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

I added it to the FAQ/s

Car Show Tips

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD