Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
gary evans
AF Newbie

98 windstar 3.8 oil pressure

my 98 windstar with 86k has started to display the oil warning light at idle after it has been driven about 15 minites. it has clean 10w-30 oil. the light goes out above 1000 rpms. i changed the oil sending unit without effect. where is the oil pump? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because im scared.
gary evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Re: 98 windstar 3.8 oil pressure

The oil filter screws onto the oil pump. The oil pump is attached (by six bolts) to the "front cover" of the engine. The two bolts furthest apart are installed with 10Nm torque... the remaining four bolts with 25Nm torque. There an "o-ring" of sorts between the pump and the cover. The pressure relief valve is part of the pump (I believe).

You may want to look at a replacement pump ... probably avail at AutoZone or NAPA.. before removing yours, just to see what's what.

My reference is a '99 3.8. I would think the oil pumps are the same on both models.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
gary evans
AF Newbie

i gather from this that the pump is not in the timing cover, but on it under the oil filter-----otherwise it would involve tearing off the front of the engine (alternator, a/c, etc. If I tried this, the van would have to go to salvage. You have given me hope. Many thanks---Gary
Old 02-19-2005, 11:54 AM   #4
wiswind
AF Moderator

Sorry to say....but the "front cover" and the "timing chain cover" are the same thing. Try visiting www.autozone.com and see if they have instructions for replacing the oil pump. You should not have to remove the front/timing cover....but there is not a lot of room in there.
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Space is at a premium, ....but I believe the oil pump is removable, from below, with engine in place.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:44 PM   #6
gary evans
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 98 windstar 3.8 oil pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Ounce
Space is at a premium, ....but I believe the oil pump is removable, from below, with engine in place.
thank you fellows-----i got the autozone print-out and replacing the pump seems possible without tearing the engine apart----i ordered the pump from NAPA so i hope that does it----any thoughts on the problem if this doesn't work? i guess the oil pan would have to come off next to check the pick-up and if that were ok it would be wrecked main bearings and i throw it away. many thanks and i will let you know how it turns out----gary
Old 02-28-2005, 07:36 PM   #7
gary evans
AF Newbie

Angry Re: Re: Re: 98 windstar 3.8 oil pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary evans
thank you fellows-----i got the autozone print-out and replacing the pump seems possible without tearing the engine apart----i ordered the pump from NAPA so i hope that does it----any thoughts on the problem if this doesn't work? i guess the oil pan would have to come off next to check the pick-up and if that were ok it would be wrecked main bearings and i throw it away. many thanks and i will let you know how it turns out----gary
well, i changed the oil pump and put in 20-50 oil and the oil light still comes on at stop lights----it van has no other symptoms,--smoke noises, oil consumption,etc. but i am frightened of getting 1000 miles from home with this thing and having it blow up. any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:46 PM   #8
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Did you happen to notice the pressure relief valve? Is it part of the replacement pump? .. or is it a separate item stuck into a recess "under" the pump in the front cover ... and held in place by the pump?
Old 02-28-2005, 07:56 PM   #9
wiswind
AF Moderator

I seem to remember the pressure relief as being part of the pump assembly on the '96 3.8L....from reading repair information.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:58 PM   #10
wiswind
AF Moderator

I seem to remember the pressure relief as being part of the pump assembly on the '96 3.8L....from reading repair information.

There is an Oil level sensor also.....I wonder if that is having something to do with this...........
Old 02-28-2005, 09:19 PM   #11
gary evans
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 98 windstar 3.8 oil pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswind

There is an Oil level sensor also.....I wonder if that is having something to do with this...........
you know, i didnt ask the mechanic if he changed the presure relief valve. the spring and stuff was in the box with the pump from napa and since he charged me $175 maybe he did take the front cover off and did that too. I was in too much of a hurry when i picked it up. the oil light flickers when you first stop and then glows bright after you sit for about 5 seconds. if you shift to park or neutral the jump in rpms puts the light out. would an oil level sensor ever cause this? is it worth taking the oil pan off to check for crud? i dismissed that as a possible problem thinking that since the light is out till the oil heats up, crud restriction of the pick up would be more likely when the oil was cold. should i stop driving this thing?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:04 AM   #12
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

The front cover would not have to come off to replace the pressure relief valve... I'm thinking it is sandwiched between the oil pump body and the front cover... and would come loose in the box just like you describe.
It should have been replaced by the mechanic to eliminate that possible problem. My guess is your whole original problem is a broken spring in the pressure relief valve....its the only thing that would "suddenly" give you your symptoms.

Go back to the mechanic and insist he address this concern.

Of course, IF the pressure relief valve was replaced and IS working then MAYBE there is a pickup tube concern....but I don't believe it!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:59 PM   #13
gary evans
AF Newbie

12 ounce----the mechanic said he did not replace the relief valve because the front cover would had to come off. the light is tending to stay off more, sometimes just flickering and sometimes staying off, so i guess it is better. the mechanic said he thought the engine just had that much wear, so i will probably just drive it awhile more and see what happens----many thanks for your help, gary
Old 03-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #14
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I pretty sure the mechanic is wrong on this issue. I have seen an exploded view (somewhere) that indicated the pressure relief valve is temporarily held in place by a clip-in retainer ... then when the oil pump body is bolted on, the relief valve is finally captured securely. What ever it took... why wouldn't he complete the job?

The pressure sender is telling you there is a problem... please don't destroy your engine!

Is there someone out there who has actually replaced the pressure relief valve on a 3.8?
Old 03-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #15
Winny_the_Pooh
AF Newbie

Well, I presently have my timing cover off and oil pump off. I'll take a look and get back to you. May be this weekend though.
Winny_the_Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar