Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
cwetch
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to cwetch
Remove or disable the GPS on my 2004 GTP

Hello all, can somone please tell me how to remove or disable the onstar GPS tracking system on my 2004 grand prix competition. I dont like the idea of somone knowing my location at all times. I have been searching for this info and cant find anything about it. I figure since it is my car i shouldnt have to have it on there if i dont want it. Somone said to remove the fuse but i dont think it is that easy. It may turn onstar off but the gps is still active. Where is it and how do i get it off.
Thanks
cwetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
KX2000GTP
AF Regular

Re: Remove or disable the GPS on my 2004 GTP

I have a 2000 GTP wiht onstar active...first off, let me say that I think it is a little rediculous to remove the GPS...if someone steals your car you have no way to track it. By they time the police recover it, IF they recover it, it won't be worth having...and there is another claim on insurance. Just a few things to consider for you.

On my 00 the onstar system consists of two boxes mounted in the trunk, right below the passenger side rear speaker. This biggest box is the AIU module, the one that controls GPS tracking, airbag deployment notification and a few other features. If the AIU wasn't there GPS would not be able to respond.

I believe around 2002 the two seperate boxes became one.

check in the trunk and see if you have those boxes. Removing them could be your solution.
KX2000GTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
cwetch
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Remove or disable the GPS on my 2004 GTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX2000GTP
I have a 2000 GTP wiht onstar active...first off, let me say that I think it is a little rediculous to remove the GPS...if someone steals your car you have no way to track it. By they time the police recover it, IF they recover it, it won't be worth having...and there is another claim on insurance. Just a few things to consider for you.

On my 00 the onstar system consists of two boxes mounted in the trunk, right below the passenger side rear speaker. This biggest box is the AIU module, the one that controls GPS tracking, airbag deployment notification and a few other features. If the AIU wasn't there GPS would not be able to respond.

I believe around 2002 the two seperate boxes became one.

check in the trunk and see if you have those boxes. Removing them could be your solution.
Thanks. Mine doesnt have it there. Just my amp for the stereo system.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
KX2000GTP
AF Regular

I thought that my onstar was the amp for the stereo also...it wasn't...
Old 02-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #5
cwetch
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Remove or disable the GPS on my 2004 GTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX2000GTP
I thought that my onstar was the amp for the stereo also...it wasn't...
The amp says "Monsoon" on it. Same brand as my stereo. I called the dealership and he said " I think it's behind the glove box"
tough to get to if it's not there. Has anyone else heard of the onstar system being behind the glove box?
Old 02-10-2005, 09:58 AM   #6
KX2000GTP
AF Regular

It's very possible, would make it harder for a thief to remove the GPS if stealing the car. Unfortunatly makes it harder for the owner to remove it also. Have you called Onstar yet? They helped me rather well when I had issues with my AIU module.

Well, so it says monsoon...i guess that's not onstar then... my bad.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
KX2000GTP
AF Regular

Don't call onstar...they don't want to help at all. Take the car to the dealership and have them contact the TAC, GM TAC, T.A.C. something like that. (I couldn't really understand the person on the other line). Supposedly, the TAC, will tell the dealership service person where the onstar hardware is and the dealer has to remove it.

I'm tryin to help, but it seems that onstar and GM don't want to remove the onstar from the cars., and don' want you to know how to either...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix