Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
BMCI
AF Newbie

Water on Driver's Floor

I have a 2001 Taurus which I bought used. I have had an ongoing problem with water appearing on the drivers side floor. The used car dealer thought they had fixed it by applying seam sealer behind the wheel well. It didnt and now thet are no longer interested in helping me as it has been some time since the I bought it. Here are the symptoms: The problem is far worse in the winter - I think the floor feels damp even when there has been no rain or snow. Not sure if the heater is affecting this at all. What I am sure of is that when I drive in the rain and especially snow, the floor gets soaked. Only on the driver's side. I dont think the floor gets wet unless I'm driving it. I took off the plastic cover in the tire in the wheel well and did notice what appeared to be a rubber cover (?) through which some electrical cables were running through. Well, the cover was torn. I tried a makeshift repair on it but I dont even know if that is contributing to the problem. To me. the floor seems soaked but nothing else. I am hoping to avoid expensive auto bodyt repair. I want to fix the problem and then trade the car in. I think I wil;l have to replace the rugs though. Anyways, any thoughts would be most appreciated. I'm desperate and my feet are wet. Thanks.
BMCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Banjoman10
AF Regular

Re: Water on Driver's Floor

I would hazard to guess that your air intake (for the heating/AC) box drain is clogged, and the water instead of draining, flows into the heater/airmix box and from there it drains out to the floor. The access to that drain is from underneath the car, I believe some kind of mechanical device - even a coat hanger - might do the job. (Don't even think about using a household drain cleaner!) A simple test culd be is to open the box (engine compartment, passenger side just in front of the bottom edge of the windshield) remove the clips, then cover, take out the HEPA filter (it is by now clogged anyway, if you haven't changed it) and pour in water. If the floor gets soaked you know for sure it's the clogged drain.
Banjoman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
yotermanic
AF Regular

Ford has a TSB for that body style Taurus for water leaks. They have a rain hat extension to install on the HVAC intake and more goodies. A dealer will probably print it out for you for no charge. The fix takes less than a hour.
yotermanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 07:17 AM   #4
BMCI
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Water on Driver's Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoman10
I would hazard to guess that your air intake (for the heating/AC) box drain is clogged, and the water instead of draining, flows into the heater/airmix box and from there it drains out to the floor. The access to that drain is from underneath the car, I believe some kind of mechanical device - even a coat hanger - might do the job. (Don't even think about using a household drain cleaner!) A simple test culd be is to open the box (engine compartment, passenger side just in front of the bottom edge of the windshield) remove the clips, then cover, take out the HEPA filter (it is by now clogged anyway, if you haven't changed it) and pour in water. If the floor gets soaked you know for sure it's the clogged drain.

Banjoman:

Thanks for your help. I did what you suggested. The filter was completely black and had some pine needles leaves etc. I poured in the water and sure enough some began leaking into the passenger side. My problem however is on the drivers side and not the passenger side. Not sure if the water is somehow migrating or whatever. If I could indulge you in a few questions: can you help me locate the drain on the underside of the car so I can attempt to clear it with a hanger? If I pull back the rugs and run the heat/defrost, I should be able to see the leak right? What is the clogged filter called? Do you think it's a big job to replace the rugs, assuming I can fix this leak? Thanks you so much for your help. It is sincerely appreciated.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
yotermanic
AF Regular

That filter is the cabin air filter. The air comes in and into your AC ducts. Usually they leak on the passenger side but on mine it crossed over in the vents and came out on the driver's side floor vent, soaking my carpet. To fix it, remove the cowl and there should be a cover there. Ford makes an extension for that cover under a tsb. Ask for a rainhat extension. Now, on the passenger side of that cover where it bends towards the bottom of the vehicle is a piece of tape. Remove the tape and put a dab of silicone over that hole. At the base of the cabin air filter housing is a bunch of foam sealant. Scrape this sealant off, as it funnels water inside as well. The cowl panel may be warped, check how it fits against the windshield. If it is not flush, replace it as well. The water may have gotten down to your blower motor/resistor as well, we usually just replace them at the dealership instead of waiting for them to fail. The carpet isn't too hard to replace once you get th e seats out, just be careful and watch for pop pins. Good luck with it.
yotermanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:54 PM   #6
BMCI
AF Newbie

Re: Water on Driver's Floor

Yotermanic:

Thanks for your help. I will try this and report back. Thanks again.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon