Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
Tom O
AF Newbie

How interchangeable are 4.3/vortec parts?

The shop that is putting another motor in told me that there was a vortec 4.3 with 80 k on it that they could bring in well I just saw it the other day and I told the guy it's not the same for one thing it has no balance shaft or aluminum oil pan but he swears that the only difference with the vortec engine is the heads and intake manifolds the balance shaft is nothing. Is this true will it work ok as long as they swap all the sensors? or are they putting in a nightmare for me.
Tom O
Tom O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:41 AM   #2
frstrtdblzr
AF Newbie

Re: How interchangeable are 4.3/vortec parts?

I have to say I am sorry I don't know the answer to that exact question but ido know that I got a proportioning valve from a wrecking yard that was out of an s-10 pickup truck and I have an s-10 Balazer with the 4.3 vortec and it would not work, we would have had to cut and grind and weld and a lot of other stuff to get it to work so I would make sure I found out the answer to my question from someone I really trusted before I trust them if you have any doubt at all which it sounds like you do.
frstrtdblzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:57 AM   #3
Tom O
AF Newbie

Re: Re: How interchangeable are 4.3/vortec parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frstrtdblzr
I have to say I am sorry I don't know the answer to that exact question but ido know that I got a proportioning valve from a wrecking yard that was out of an s-10 pickup truck and I have an s-10 Balazer with the 4.3 vortec and it would not work, we would have had to cut and grind and weld and a lot of other stuff to get it to work so I would make sure I found out the answer to my question from someone I really trusted before I trust them if you have any doubt at all which it sounds like you do.
Thanks for the reply, well I really don't see the balance shaft as a being a big deal if it is there just to smooth out the motor at idle. I am going back to see them today to tell them about another possible problem they are going to have to check the lobe lift on the cam as they are different on the z, w, and 96 and on acording to Haynes. I'll see if I can find out what year the block is (I like to know just how bad I have been lied to) I'll let you know how it goes. Oh and they must be a little worried they keep on saying I should put in a v8 lol.
thanks Tom O
Old 01-14-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
Tom O
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: How interchangeable are 4.3/vortec parts?

Well the engine number is 10105867 which is from 86 to 92. They have rebuilt the short block and put the vortec heads on and are fitting the sequential manifold on now. The mechanics dad told him the crank sensor isn't needed so they are going to try that first I talked to the mechanic and told him that it is needed for timing and injectors and he thinks that is the case too (You have to listen to dad first though right) he was saying that he was having a bit of a problem fitting the manifold I'll find out more tomorow.
Tom O

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10