Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #1
gpowellpec
AF Newbie

2001 Grand Prix Overdrive Problem

Was driving a 2001 Grand Prix and heard a whine like alternator whine under load. Stopped to check it out and found the battery positive side terminal had separated from the battery. Did not find this til after had shut the car off. Had to jump the car and drive it to a store to replace the battery. The whine stayed. Eliminated alternator as problem (as diagnosed by local Chevy dealer) by replacing it. Now chevy dealer says it is the trans pump and the entire trans needs to be replaced. It does not shift into overdrive (Maintains 3000 RPM at 70 MPH) and the whine stops when the shifter is in 3rd gear position. Could the electronics have gotten out of whack or fried while running with no battery connection and is preventing upshift? Could the electrics in the trans have been damaged? The trans shifts ok in other gears and there was no trans problem before the battery crapped out.
gpowellpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
Goatmann
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 Grand Prix Overdrive Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpowellpec
Was driving a 2001 Grand Prix and heard a whine like alternator whine under load. Stopped to check it out and found the battery positive side terminal had separated from the battery. Did not find this til after had shut the car off. Had to jump the car and drive it to a store to replace the battery. The whine stayed. Eliminated alternator as problem (as diagnosed by local Chevy dealer) by replacing it. Now chevy dealer says it is the trans pump and the entire trans needs to be replaced. It does not shift into overdrive (Maintains 3000 RPM at 70 MPH) and the whine stops when the shifter is in 3rd gear position. Could the electronics have gotten out of whack or fried while running with no battery connection and is preventing upshift? Could the electrics in the trans have been damaged? The trans shifts ok in other gears and there was no trans problem before the battery crapped out.
I own an '01 G.P. SE with a 3.1. Purchased it about 45 days ago. My car exhibited the same problem verbatim that your car has. The verdict, after the service writer took a ride with me to verify my concern, replace the tranny.
Goatmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
94sportsedan
AF Regular

the shift solenoids could be the culprit. They can emit a squealing noise. Maybe due to the voltage issue one of them got screwed up. Most of our tranny whine is due to these solenoids, my opinion.
94sportsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
gpowellpec
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 Grand Prix Overdrive Problem

Chevy house said bad pump, need to replace transmission. Local transmission shop said splines on shaft for overdrive are stripped. Trans shop put scanner on computer and said all electrics check okay. Went with the trans shop to replace ($1350 versus $2750 at Chevy house)
gpowellpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:47 AM   #5
roucka
AF Newbie

Transmission?

Hello;

I read your difficulties your having with your 2001 Grand Prix GT which is the exact model/yr/make I've got whereby couple mnths ago I experience the exact situation. The whining sound was accompanied with the car not going over 70mph. Originally my local mechanic told me over phone describing the possibilities as either: -Fuel Filter - Timing Belt - Transmission Chip or worst case scenario the Transmission itself.
The more possibilities I heard made me quickly pick-up a 2-4 of Budweiser, that aside I took the car to Roy Foss whom sold me the car whereby it turned-out to be the "Catalytic Converter". As the car has only 60,000 it fortunately was under warranty up until 100,000 whereby it was covered. Not sure if this helps, but I figured it couldn't initially have been the Transmission as it didn't have enough miles on it.

Hope everythings resolved for you. Trust me when it gets back on the road you'll find yourself driving 110mph to the local smoke-shop.

Mancini---
roucka is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix