Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
Pat_OD
AF Enthusiast

Lawsuit against GM....DEXCOOL

Now i'm pretty goddamn pissed off my 3.4L has a blown head gasket and i know its not due to the way i drive or where i live, because im not an asshole driver and i live in Baltimore, Md where the weather is pretty steady. Anyway i have no doubt in my mind that Dexcool is the reason behind my head gasket. I was looking on google and found this site http://www.cwcd.com/CM/MassTorts/MassTorts5.asp and this one http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...m_dexcool.html . I talked to my dealership and they said that they have no clue what i was talking about. That just pissed me off and i flipped out on the guy, felt damn goooood after all the money i've spent on this crap ass car. Anyway any1 else here think dexcool may have damaged your car?
Pat_OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:42 AM   #2
3.4imp
AF Regular

I know for a fact dexcool is the cause of failure for my intake manifold gasket. my mechanic told me so. It's a big money maker for gm. whenever you get your head gasket problem fixed, have mechanic put old school green radiator fluid in. it works better
3.4imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:38 AM   #3
Manny_boy
AF Regular

Re: Lawsuit against GM....DEXCOOL

A worker in Autozone told me yesterday, that they got word from their corporate office to remove DEXCOOL from all Autozone Shelves, permanently.
Manny_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
3.4imp
AF Regular

Gm Is Playing Us Like A Fool. That F****ng Pisses Me Off. I Thought 96 & Older Impala's Were Built Better Than The New Camary Oops I Mean Impala. It's Just That There Both Fwd Under Powered And Bland.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:50 AM   #5
IFIXCARZ4U
AF Newbie

AND STILL ANOTHER BUNCH OF GM BASHERS
General motors did not invent freakin Dexcool the just use is because it is enviromentally safer than the old green stuff. Although Dexcool is a barrel of recycle Donkey P*SS. it is not GM's fault.
IFIXCARZ4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:21 AM   #6
3.4imp
AF Regular

We Didn't Ask U!
Old 02-14-2005, 04:48 AM   #7
redimpss5
AF Enthusiast

WOW, this whole thread has answers from fans that have no clue!! 1st, I have a 95 impala, and I put dexcool in it and it did not come that way from the factory!!!!! Check this out..I have no problems with it either! But, let me add..I do maintain my cars myself, so no one will lead me down a road to rob me! I bet, that some people here still think you need to change oil every 3000 mile to make your engine run good, listen up folks!! Things change and the hillbilly that you let work on your car has no clue!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

In my neck of the woods,(Central NY) a lot of the stores are now carrying a "universal mix" antifreeze which can be used in any vehicle that uses Dex Cool or he ethylene glycol green antifreeze. My question is, has anybody used it yet, and what is their opinion of it? I couldn't find any green antifreeze at our local Wal Mart, just the new universal and a bottle or two of DexCool.It seems that the stores will probably drop the 2 different antifreezes and just carry the universal stuff. I want to make sure that this new formula is better than the Dex Cool and just as good as the ethylene glycol I am used to using in the past.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:49 AM   #9
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

The new stuff that you can use is Zerex G-05; that's a better alternative to DEX-COOL; wish I would've known that for my brother-in-law; DEX-COOL helped ruin his motor in his '99 Buick Century; it was running fine one day, NO LEAKS AT ALL, I pressure checked his cooling system and never heard a hiss at all, yet it still overheated and it melted his cylinder head. Thanks GM, you really screwed us over. Does anyone know if there's any lawsuits pending against them?
theFREAKnasty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:32 PM   #10
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Okay... Let me start by saying I have been doing a lot of research lately into this mess concerning Dex Cool. I have a '97 Venture that needed the intake gaskets replaced at around 62-63,000 miles. I've been thinking about replacing the Dex with the old ethylene glycol based antifreeze. This morning I called a local radiator shop that has been in our area over 75 years and is well respected. I wanted to get his opinion on the matter. He told me that he is working with some people concerning the class action suit, and couldn't comment much at this time, but he was able to tell me that he believes the problem with the gaskets is not really related to the antifreeze but rather poor design of the engine and poor choice of materials that went into the gaskets themselves. I asked him about switching over and he said you could, but what he really reccomended was keeping the Dex in the engine and replacing it every year. He said if the lawsuit comes out and the consumer wins big, you have a better chance of a claim if you still have the Dex in. He said the main focus of the lawsuit is the sticker GM put in the engine compartment stating the Dex was good for 5 years 150,000 miles, which is wrong. They made the mistake of putting that there, when it was found that Dex really doesn't last as long and should be replaced more frequently than is stated. He also said the Dex can break down sooner than the ethylene glycol based green antifreeze, warranting the yearly change. I plan on continuing the research and post anything else I can find. He also stated that he wouldn't put DexCool in a vehicle that did not come with it as the engine and components need certain ingredients in the green stuff that the Dex doesn't have, one of them being silica.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #11
mike1224
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mike1224 Send a message via MSN to mike1224 Send a message via Yahoo to mike1224

hey all, heres some more info:
http://www.wcpo.com/wcpo/localshows/.../20299ce7.html
http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/techinfo/?article=35

would GM continue to put a product in their vehicles thats been causing problems in so many vehicles (GMC, Chevy, Buick, etc)?? It could be the way the owners take care (or don't) of their cars. The 5 year 150,000 is just a reccomendation on the longest you can go. Just because you can get 300 miles to the tank until it is bone dry and you're sputtering doesn't mean you are going to, does it?
I'm not trying to stick up for GM, but theres some of people that never do ANY maintainance on their vehicles. And yes, theres always a "bad" part made, seals not properly sealed.

P.S. a side note chevy no longer puts the 5yr/150,000mi "promise" on later model stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by balls_to_the_wall
Some people are alive only because its illegal to kill them.
mike1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:58 PM   #12
3.4imp
AF Regular

thats a good idea to keep dex in and wait for the class action suit, but you might as well hold out for the lotto. I doubt chevy would admit they're at fault. It would cost them so much it would cripple them. I think they know they're at fault but when they see the money they make off of repairs they say instead of admitting to wrong doing lets just gradually work in a new coolant into the picture and hope the public will shut up. then they can take the money they made off the repairs and invest in foriegn markets, then when they loose their butts in that they'll just have a price hike.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:24 PM   #13
Pat_OD
AF Enthusiast

The 5year/ 150,000 mile thing for DexCool is under PERFECT OPERATING CONDITIONS We all know that theres no where u can drive that ur gonna have perfect operating conditions.
Pat_OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:49 PM   #14
camcam33026
AF Newbie

intake gasket

my intake started to leak with less than 4000 miles on my car im sure it wasnt the DEX that caused it. its a common problem with this engine.
camcam33026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #15
rtebeau
AF Newbie

I just recently had to have the intake manifold gasket replaced in my impala @ 53k miles - cost me about $1400 to have all the work done. I don't think this is normal. I checked out the websites about dexcool, Any possibility this can be related to the dexcool issue? If you can send me an email with IMPALA as the subject as my email filtering software will allow it through.

Remove noreply- on the email account (this prevents web bots from picking up the email address in text searches and adding to spam lists)

Thanks,
Richard
noreply-rtebeau@yahoo.com
York, PA
rtebeau is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS