Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
astralepic
AF Newbie

IAC overall length

Hey everyone, here's what I've got going. I've got a 93 GMC Sierra 350, TBI. I've read I think every post on the internet as to what my issue may be and here's where we are. This started as a very sparodic rough idle, but proceeded to get worse. I pulled the Idle Air Control using the information in my Haynes manual. The first thing I noticed is that it was so loose that I could literally turn it with my fingers. I decided to go ahead and pull it out to check it by moving it side to side. By bad luck chance, I moved it in. Looking back into my manual, this isn't bad except that I do not know the overall length for the IAC itself. Can anyone tell me what it is?

93 GMC Sierra, 350 TBI, 2WD, 230,000 never any major mechanical work needed. I really need help on this one or I fear this may be the end.

Thanks!
astralepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
sechracer
AF Newbie

Not sure what the actual length is, but autozone sells one for it for about $28 new, all you need is the oem # off of it to crosss reference. For the price, I would check out a new one, not to mention you can take the measurement off the new one right there in the store.
sechracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:31 PM   #3
astralepic
AF Newbie

Re: IAC overall length

Straight out of the box huh? I assumed their was some type of variance considering the manual said to measure the old one and compare to the new one. I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
GMMerlin
I know stuff

You don't want to install the new one if it is turned all the way out...this could damage it.
Using your hand, just push the pintle in a bit then install the valve..turn the key on, then off 2 times then start the vehicle.
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #5
astralepic
AF Newbie

So I purchased a new IAC and still have the same issue. Out of the box, the pintle was quite a bit shorter, but I tried it anyways. I don't know that the idle was worse, but it definately was not better. Decided to take existing and compare to new one. Moved pintle out and engine seemed to idle just a touch better. Don't think this was my issue, but for $28 I can atleast begin to look elsewhere.

I went ahead and bought a new O2 sensor, but it'll be the weekend before I can get to it. I'll keep you guys posted as to the outcome. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. I also plan to put new AC Delco plugs in too. Will check distributer and rotor button, but both appeared fine just days ago.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
dougo
AF Newbie

you most likely you have carbon holding open the e.g.r. valve or the valve is
stuck open .
dougo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:21 PM   #7
astralepic
AF Newbie

I can move the diaphragm in the egr valve using my fingers. If I can move it, do you still think it may be stuck open? The valve is less than $50, so I'm tempted to just replace it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra