Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 11:15 PM   #1
gameguy85
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to gameguy85
Exclamation 94 ford ranger-Clutch is going to the floor and I cant change gears. Please help!

I have a 94 ford ranger. When i push in the clutch i can't change gears. i am at my wits end because have checked the fluides and none of them are leaking and don't know what to check now! Please help! Thank you to all.
gameguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 07:01 AM   #2
dnewma04
AF Newbie

Re: Clutch is going to the floor and I cant change gears. Please help!

Strange, mine started doing the exact same thing this morning. Have't had a chance to check it out yet, but mine will go into gear, but even with the clutch fully depressed, it is still partially engaged.
dnewma04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
dnewma04
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Clutch is going to the floor and I cant change gears. Please help!

Well,

I checked it out a few minutes ago and it appears that the master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch was bone dry. I Refilled but cannot for the life of me figure how to bleed it and thus far, have not regained a properly functioning clutch. No feel until 90% depressed.

Also, I noticed that where the tube enters the trans, there is an 1/8" of play in the tube. Now, I can't see how far in the actual tube connects, as it appears to be either some proprietary connection, or it's recessed out of view with a hex head connector. The play in the tube has me suspicious.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:46 AM   #4
dnewma04
AF Newbie

Play in the tube is now understood and supposed to be there. The bleeder valve is on the driver side, just above the hyraulic clutch tube and has a small rubber boot covering it.

To repair, fill the reservoir and then pump the clutch repeatedly until you get some feel and hold it down. (best to have someone else do this while you open the bleeder valve). This will release pressure and force air and DOT3 fluid out. Repeat this process 4-5 times or whatever is necessary to regain pedal feel. If even after this is done, you may want to replace the master and slave cylinders and repeat these steps.

Good luck.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:42 PM   #5
FX4 Offroad II
AF Newbie

Gameguy85- My advice to you, would be to replace both the master and slave cylinder at the same time, or will cost more to fix later unless you're lucky you found the defective part and the other is not damaged. What's happening there with the clutch is a seal is leaking air back into the slave or master cylinder everytime you depress the clutch, but does not allow the fluid to leak out. So there fore you have a sneaking leak that cannot be found unless you take both the slave and master out and inspect it. Also since the transmission has to be moved back to check the slave cylinder, I'd replace it before putting the transmission back together. The master clyinder is easier to replace than the slave cylinder, but if the system is dry, more likely the seal will be cut on one of them,caused by the defective part, even if they are not defective in the first place.
FX4 Offroad II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 10:16 PM   #6
dnewma04
AF Newbie

It is looking like a slave/master cylinder replacement is what i will be forced to have. Not a good time of year for this...
Old 01-20-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
Yeldarb43
AF Newbie

im in the middle of the same thing. good time to replace the clutch anyway w/ 160k on it. I was wondering though... this must be related to the cold weather. I mean we got a cold snap and boom my pedal went to the floor. Does the cold do something to the seals on the master/slave cylendar... did it get real cold when yours went?
Yeldarb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:33 PM   #8
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 110578

My brother and I Have been working on his 95 Ranger for 3 weeks now because of the same problem. We've replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, and evan the hydrolic clutch line and we still can't get it to take a gear when it's running. We,ve talked to several mechanics and they said that air must still be getting in the system somehow and if that happens then the clutch will never work. We're going to go ahead and take it to a trusted transmission mechanic and see what they can do. I'll keep you all posted on any results.
110578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:46 AM   #9
Yeldarb43
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Clutch is going to the floor and I cant change gears. Please help!

I just finished installing my clutch and master/slave cylinder and it works great. My new components had instructions suggesting taking out the master cylinder from the firewall and positioning it with the pushrod end down while you fill the reservoir which should let air out of the master cylinder that can get trapped. Then reinsert the master cylinder and bleed like normal.

Last edited by Yeldarb43; 01-26-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Yeldarb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:36 PM   #10
coooll4
AF Newbie

Hi . I have a 93 ranger and have had the mechanic replace the master , a new clutch,pressure plate,and throw out bearing and it still would not go into reverse unless I shut the key off. I'm at wits end with this. From reading the other messages it must have something to do with the bleeding.If anyone actually knows how to fix this problem please let us all know,cause it sounds like we all have the same problem....thanks(also replaced the slave cylinder)
coooll4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:18 PM   #11
blurdvision
AF Newbie

you might have your pilot bearing checked......happened to me...clutch would go all the way...fluid was fine.....but couldn't get it in gear.....one thing to try is shut the truck off.....push the clutch in and see if it will go into gear then....
blurdvision is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier