Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance
Non-Performance This is the place to discuss interior, exterior, and other non-performance related modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 10:50 PM   #1
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie
HOW TO: Remove Front/rear dash and install deck, remove door pannels

Well after gettin annoyed seeing soo many posts on how to install a deck and remove the front dash along with rear, i'm going to once again take a load of time and write somthing up for you all...

This should be good for 95-05 cavaliers

Front Dash removal...

I will rate this a medium on skill range. For the removal you will need the following.

1)7mm socket
2) Patience

Lets begin;

1)Take out both cover pieces at either end of the dash (pop them out with a screwdriver). Also remove the one bolt for each side. Placement shown by circles on pictures.

2)Unscrew the centre defroster vent on top of the dash, then pop it up with a screwdriver and remove the two bolts underneath it.

3)Open the glove box and there will be 3 bolts (black) shown in pictures with circles. Also there are two brass bolts be careful not to drop them.

4)The dash top will now be loose and will be able to be removed. Wiggle it loose above the gauge area because there are a few small clips that hold it together.
5)Once the dash cover is off, you must remove the 3 bolts that hold down the trim plate around the radio and gauges. There are also clips all the way around it so (take your time because the trim plate will break fairly easily) just gently pry it loose with a small screwdriver. Pull the trim plate back and you will have access to the gauge cluster and your radio.

6) Since you don't want to cut the dimmer switch, carefully manuver to sit on top of the exposed vitals of the dash and be sure not to puncture the air bag...
7)... Reinstall in reverse order.....

Aftermarket deck install....

1) With the dashed removed, there should be 2 screws holding the facotory deck in place remove these 2, and deck will slide freely out to a certain point.
2) Out of the back of the deck there is a wire harness and antena..

"If you have a pre-2000 car.. this doesn't apply to you

If you have a 2000+ J-Body then your factory head unit/radio/cd player/stereo/whatever is a CLASS 2 unit. Class 2 radios are wired differently than anything most stereo installers have dealt with.. and there's a LOT of misinformation out there about them.

Here's EVERYTHING you should need to know about them:

1. If you remove the factory radio from the car.. you will lose your factory door chimes and OnStar (if you even have it). That's it! Proof.. from YOUR owners manual:

Removing the factory deck will NOT affect your airbags (it's a separate circuit entirely!), your DRLs (also separate), your cruise control (again, separate), your oil change light (you don't even have one!), your sex life (well, maybe)...

If anyone tells you otherwise.. THEY ARE WRONG! (Feel free to tell them this. Better yet... let me tell them this!)

2. If you WANT to keep your factory door chimes and/or OnStar... you need to either relocate the factory deck using a T-harness or replace the factory deck with a new module for the chimes and OnStar speaker.

3. If you don't give a crap about factory chimes.. you can buy a $15 harness and hook it up using that! You don't have to spend $100 or more on a T-harness and relocate the factory deck. Your airbags WILL still work.

Of course.. you'll also need a deck mounting kit.. and a GM antenna adapter.. and whatever harness you choose that you need.
Want to know more? Go to my web page!

http://members.shaw.ca/johnz24/howto/2kaudio.html

I hope that helps some of you.. remember, don't believe everything you read... there's a LOT of misinformation out there.

...j "

~John Lenko ^ JBO

Now with all that 2000+ year crap covered... The actual wiring of all this together can be found in the install kits or when your purchase a deck from www.crutchfield.com they send all you the info free of charge..

Rear dash removal...

1) Lower the back seat, and remove the 4 clips that hold the plastic trim pieces to the rear dash.
2) Next, remove the 2 plastic trim pieces. To do this, pull them slightly toward you, and angle them toward the ground. The small clips that hold them in will pop out of place.
3) Pull the rear seat belts through the slots in the back deck, and then pull the slots inward a bit. This will allow the piece of rear deck that is under the sides to come free.
4) Now just start pulling, and jiggling it a bit. You may also need to bend the centre of the dash up slightly, being careful not to crease it. It will eventually slide out.
5)If you are trying to remove the rear speakers, simply push in the little clips that are facing you. You will need to disconnect the speaker wire connection. The factory speakers are held in by 4 screws. Remove those and the factory speakers will pop right out.
6) The Rear Speakers Are 6X9's, but you can either make or buy adapters so you can use a component speaker system.
7) Reinstall in reverse.

Door pannels....

1)Roll the window down. This will make replacing the door panel easier and put things into view better

2)Remove the screw that holds the triangle-shaped plastic piece over the mirror bolts.

3)Next, go down to the door handle grip, and remove the 2 7mm screws out of there.

4)Go along the outside edge of the door panel and remove all those screws.

5)If you have power locks, you will need to disconnect the wires that run to the lock switch. Simply pop the trim piece out that holds the power lock switch, and disconnect it.

6)If you have manual windows, you will need to get the GM tool to remove the window cranks.

7)Now the only thing stopping you is the clips that run along the top edge, by the window. Gently pull up, and rock the entire door panel side to side.

8)When you are putting the door panels back on, be sure to get all those little clips at the top of the door back on and make sure they are tight, otherwise the door panel won't sit right.

With all that said.. There shouldn't be anymore posts about how to install or remove front/rear dash, door pannels or deck installation.

Kudos (credits) to;

John Lenko-2000+ issue
Team forward motion- removal pics and some steps
Me (CRJ)- re wording it all so that it can be easy for lamens

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL

Last edited by Classicrocjunkie; 07-29-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Classicrocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:08 PM   #2
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Re: HOW TO: Remove Front/rear dash and install deck, remove door pannels

If i left anything out besides the actual wiring it up of it all... let me know and i'll add it..

1 more thing i forgot.. when connecting the wire harnesses.. please don't use wire crimps or wire nuts.. i've seen it too often where they have come undone and taking the dash apart gets annyoing over time..... Soder the wires and black tape them off....

2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Old 11-23-2004, 04:03 PM   #3
movin2stereo
AF Enthusiast

I never had a problem with crimps(butt connectors).Just make sure you have a good tool that crimps tight.

Stickerchick.com,best decals on the net
Click here

My $12.00 Sunfire
movin2stereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:35 PM   #4
KustmAce
Grande Boleros de Fuego

Stuck, though you spelled "panel" wrong, but dont worry, I fixed it for you!

Old 11-27-2004, 08:51 PM   #5
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Re: HOW TO: Remove Front/Rear Dash and Install Deck, Remove Door Panels

Thanks Tim, this should help out with the amount of posts about dash removal..... probably not considering we make them Stickys and Newbies still post....

2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Old 11-28-2004, 12:46 AM   #6
cko
AF Newbie

Remove 97 Rear Dash

Hi, I tried to remove the rear speakers from a 1997 Cavalier. However, when I took the side plastic panel out, I broke the pin inside. I found out that you couldn't just remove the plastic panel by pulling. Can anyone help me out? Please tell me how to remove the rear speakers. Thanks in advance.
cko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 01:55 AM   #7
93_R/T_TT_Stealth
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth Send a message via MSN to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth Send a message via Yahoo to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth
Re: Remove 97 Rear Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by cko
Hi, I tried to remove the rear speakers from a 1997 Cavalier. However, when I took the side plastic panel out, I broke the pin inside. I found out that you couldn't just remove the plastic panel by pulling. Can anyone help me out? Please tell me how to remove the rear speakers. Thanks in advance.
lesson 1 - dont just pull things apart - if you dont know what ur doin - cause for example u broke something - most people know that just about 90% of cars these days have interiors held together by - clips-self retaining pressure plug screws - push pins- snap tabs ect... - if you dont know what ur doin ask b4 u do it - or open a damn manual for gods sake or check online for a diagram or a manual - someone or something will always help ya out - other wise u gonna be driving around in a car full of broken rubble an cracked panels an broken moldings an shit- dont just get antsy an pullshit until u hear *crack* or snap .... i mean look Classic was nice enough to post all this info an now its almost worthless because u were thickheaded an did something b4 u knew - so u basically fucked it up man...now u have broken items an u are mostlikly gonna have to get new or salvaged replacements- Good Luck!

93_R/T_TT_Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 04:33 PM   #8
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Re: Re: Remove 97 Rear Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_R/T_TT_Stealth
lesson 1 - dont just pull things apart - if you dont know what ur doin - cause for example u broke something - most people know that just about 90% of cars these days have interiors held together by - clips-self retaining pressure plug screws - push pins- snap tabs ect... - if you dont know what ur doin ask b4 u do it - or open a damn manual for gods sake or check online for a diagram or a manual - someone or something will always help ya out - other wise u gonna be driving around in a car full of broken rubble an cracked panels an broken moldings an shit- dont just get antsy an pullshit until u hear *crack* or snap .... i mean look Classic was nice enough to post all this info an now its almost worthless because u were thickheaded an did something b4 u knew - so u basically fucked it up man...now u have broken items an u are mostlikly gonna have to get new or salvaged replacements- Good Luck!

Thats one way to get a point across... but when removing the side pannel, you can feel tension around where the clips are. Get your hand right under there and brace it better... as for your broken part... your SOL... live with it or junkyard or buy a new GM piece....

2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Old 11-28-2004, 07:18 PM   #9
cko
AF Newbie

Thumbs down REPLY 93_R/T_TT_Stealth

REPLY to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth

1) Research - From Jbody, Forward Motions, or this forum, there are not much information about removing the rear dash. It is lacking of details on removing the rear dash online. On the other hand, removing the front dash contains lots of details from Brad Marx and Vincent Keene. Moreover, rear plastic trims are different to different years of J-Body.

2) Dash Diagram - Show me an online rear dash diagram. You can NOT find it. Did your research before bullshit! Do NOT just saying something that just in your mind, and NOT existing in this world. There is NO such thing of online diagram. Bull Shit!

3) Resources - I have a manual, a Cavalier expect to ask, and to work with. If I got so many resources, what's the point of setting up a forum and posting instructions online? If I got so many resources, I don't need to talk to a jerk like you.

4) Experiences - You won't know anything by just looking at a book. I can't imagine someone still thinks reading a manual can tell you everything. Come on, Do it yourself is the only way to learn.

5) Expert - Be realistic, NOT everyone is an expert. If yes, what a wonderful world! Are you an expert of Cavalier? I DON"T think so!

6) Car - I just asked for suggestions and advices. NOT your personal opinions! It's my car. It's not your fucking business of which part I broke. And you don't even have a clue which part I broke.

7) Cavalier - How much you know about Cavalier? Have you removed a rear dash? You know how it looks like when you remove it? How's the thing is designed? What's the different between different years of JBody? You didn't even say one thing that is related to Cavalier and the rear dash. Don't just post useless shit online.

8) Listen 93_R/T_TT_Stealth - FUCK YOU

Thanks for Classicrocjunkie for posting the instructions and your replies. However, due to a stupid asshole, I am not going to visit this forum again.
cko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 09:45 PM   #10
93_R/T_TT_Stealth
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth Send a message via MSN to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth Send a message via Yahoo to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth
Re: REPLY 93_R/T_TT_Stealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cko

1) Research - From Jbody, Forward Motions, or this forum, there are not much information about removing the rear dash. It is lacking of details on removing the rear dash online. On the other hand, removing the front dash contains lots of details from Brad Marx and Vincent Keene. Moreover, rear plastic trims are different to different years of J-Body.

2) Dash Diagram - Show me an online rear dash diagram. You can NOT find it. Did your research before bullshit! Do NOT just saying something that just in your mind, and NOT existing in this world. There is NO such thing of online diagram. Bull Shit!

3) Resources - I have a manual, a Cavalier expect to ask, and to work with. If I got so many resources, what's the point of setting up a forum and posting instructions online? If I got so many resources, I don't need to talk to a jerk like you.

4) Experiences - You won't know anything by just looking at a book. I can't imagine someone still thinks reading a manual can tell you everything. Come on, Do it yourself is the only way to learn.

5) Expert - Be realistic, NOT everyone is an expert. If yes, what a wonderful world! Are you an expert of Cavalier? I DON"T think so!

6) Car - I just asked for suggestions and advices. NOT your personal opinions! It's my car. It's not your fucking business of which part I broke. And you don't even have a clue which part I broke.

7) Cavalier - How much you know about Cavalier? Have you removed a rear dash? You know how it looks like when you remove it? How's the thing is designed? What's the different between different years of JBody? You didn't even say one thing that is related to Cavalier and the rear dash. Don't just post useless shit online.

Thanks for Classicrocjunkie for posting the instructions and your replies. However, due to a stupid asshole, I am not going to visit this forum again.

wow ya dont have to take it out on me cause u are impataint an break shit cause u dont know what your doin - there is diagrams alot of the time u have to pay like a buck or 2 to get them but to me if i didnt know what i was doin a few bucks would be worth it rather than having broken shit in one of my cars ...
dont go down on me like i am the idiot - ur the one that broke ur parts buddy - nobody to blame but yourself-
an hey thanks for the #8 rule or w/e u call it - it doesnt bother me that u say fuck you or w/e is on your mind - i am not gonna go commit suicide or anything cause some amature newbie is tryin to talk shit to me....

they also make a tool for removing the clips it looks like a pry bar with a a flat angled end with a notch in it - in the store they list it as a door panel removal tool ... i think ya can get one for like $10 - they dont cost all that much - pick one up it will help out on alot of things when your dis-assembling them... good luck-
Old 11-28-2004, 09:51 PM   #11
93_R/T_TT_Stealth
AF Enthusiast

an as for the info on removal why would i say anything crj just did a big post on the removal of rear dash?
even when its a car that i am for say puttin in a stereo system that i have not much knowledge about i will look it over until i am cofident that i am not goin to destroy someone esles shit - i can think of a time that i really had an issue with unless its external on the car an the shit is seized or rusted on - even then i usually put a lil pb blaster on it an in a few minutes it comes of fine.. so dont act like i am puttin useless info on here when what i said was in a post that was already fully explained by someone else -
Old 11-30-2004, 07:34 PM   #12
KustmAce
Grande Boleros de Fuego

Re: REPLY 93_R/T_TT_Stealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cko

Quote:
Originally Posted by cko
Don't just post useless shit online.
Irony, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cko
I am not going to visit this forum again
Promise?

Now, everyone, stop whoring up this sticky! I hate pruning threads, and I dont want to have to do it to this one.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:14 PM   #13
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Re: HOW TO: Remove Front/Rear Dash and Install Deck, Remove Door Panels

Thanks Tim!...

2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Old 12-28-2004, 11:08 AM   #14
blitz/littledevil
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to blitz/littledevil
wow that first part was helpful now i wont totally screw up everything when i try to wire my new system to my deck it was well put
and yeh that cko guy is a total dickhead and shouldnt be let near acar obviously
blitz/littledevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:43 AM   #15
fastlane1588
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to fastlane1588
hey cko guess what buddy everything that Classicrocjunkie and 93_R/T_TT_Stealth said are true, because i had ciruit city do a free in stall on my sterio system and i watched and guess what.....they did it exactly the way 93_R/T_TT_Stealth and clasicrocjunkie said to do it so i think its u who needs to fuck off and not them
fastlane1588 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance