Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 05:50 AM   #1
Letsrodeo
AF Newbie

99 Rodeo Automatic Gear Selecter Lock won't release

Does anyone have a fix for this problem?

When I push the button on my gear selector for the automatic transmission it won't go all the way in and won't release to allow me to move out of the park position.

If I repeatly push the button eventually the button moves all the way in and I can move out of park.
Letsrodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:48 AM   #2
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Work the button with your finger while you look/listen/feel for a *clicking* under the steering column. There is a cable that runs from the button, to the steering column/ignition area. If the cable binds up on anything (fairly common), it wont have full range of motion to open the safety interlock. Wiggling, re-positioning the cable should fix it. Sometimes moving the steering wheel while you push the trigger helps too.
G/luck
Joel
Old 11-22-2004, 03:54 PM   #3
iskiuskiweski
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to iskiuskiweski
Re: 99 Rodeo Automatic Gear Selecter Lock won't release

Do you hear it release when you apply the brake. There is an interlock that ensures that the brake is first applied before you can put the vehicle in gear. Maybe not what your looking for, but thought I would mention it.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:37 AM   #4
Letsrodeo
AF Newbie

99 Rodeo Automatic Gear Selecter Lock won't release

Thanks for the help gentllemen.

I have noticed that sometimes it sounds like a soleniod or something is engaging.

I did find the following procedure in the Owners Manual that describes what to do for this problem.

The listed sequence is:
1. fully apply the parking brake
2. turn the key switch to the “ACC” position
3. move the shift lever from the “P” to the “N” position, depress the brake pedal, and start the engine again.
4. operate the shift lever.
Have the transmission checked by your Isuzu Dealer as soon as possible.

Does anyone know what the dealer will check?
Old 11-29-2004, 12:30 PM   #5
Letsrodeo
AF Newbie

Upon further investigation I've found that two electrical components interlock the shift lever. A shift lock soleniod and a shift lock relay. The solenoid is energized and locks the shift lever when the key switch is in the on position. When the brake pedal is pressed the shift lock releay is energize and the rely contact opens the shift lock solenoid circuit (de-energizing the solenoid) releasing the shift lever to move from park.

I suspect, but haven't confirmed that the key switch is mechanically interlocked with the shift lever button.

When you select the "ACC" position the shift lock solenoid isn't energized and the mechanical interlock is released allowing the shift lever to be moved to the neutral position. Then the key switch can engage the starter and your in buisness.

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4X4
American Eagle Series 149, 16X8
Toyo Open Country LT265/75R16
Rancho 9000
3" CP Lift, 3" PA Body Lift
Manual Locking Hubs, SuperWinch
Optima Yellow Top Battery
Custom Sound System
Shrockworks Rocksliders

Letsrodeo
Old 12-04-2004, 04:07 PM   #6
Letsrodeo
AF Newbie

99 Rodeo Shift Lock Schematic

This was an interesting problem. Originally I thought this was probably the shift lock relay. When I measured the resistance to ground on the negative side of the coil I saw ~35 OHMs. This sent me chasing a loose ground connection, but after further fault finding, it was actually the Park Position Detect Switch. The switch was not closing completely. After some coaxing and bending I got the thing to make, tested it and wala! It works. I'm back to normal operations.

My suspicions about the key switch and shift lever were true. They are interlocked. When the key switch is in the ACC position you can press the button on the shift lever and move the lever where ever you want.

Here’s a schematic of the circuit with some coarse sketches of the component locations.

The Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (from Helms Inc.) is an extremely helpful guide. Not only does it show the schematics for all the Rodeo/Amigo circuits it also shows pictures of where all the components are located as well as all the connectors plus the connector pin outs and wire colors. The shop manuals have been indispensable while DIM (doing it myself).

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4X4
American Eagle Series 149, 16X8
Toyo Open Country LT265/75R16
Rancho 9000
3" CP Lift, 3" PA Body Lift
Manual Locking Hubs, SuperWinch
Optima Yellow Top Battery
Custom Sound System
Shrockworks Rocksliders

Letsrodeo
Old 12-16-2004, 08:53 PM   #7
VJW
AF Newbie

Re:Help for Shifter not moving out of Park

Hello, I had the same problem with my 2000 Rodeo Isuzu. I would start the engine with my foot on the brake...attempt to move the gear shifter from park to reverse and it would NOT go into gear. I couldn't get it out of park. Finally a dealer mechanic told me that it was some type of sensor and possibly due to drinks being spilled on the gear shifter area..that it may have become sticky. Anyway, he said it would be expensive to get in there and clean it out so he recommended that when I start the vehicle and begin to shift from park to reverse leave my foot off the brake and it will shift. He was totally correct. It rarely happens but when it has this always works. Good luck I hope it works for you too. VJW
VJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:19 PM   #8
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 12:19 PM   #9
68plyroadrunner
AF Newbie

A little late but on my 98 rodeo when it would not come out of park. I had to replace the brake light switch. That releases the solinoid and it will come out of park.
68plyroadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:45 PM   #10
wmsbrum
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 99 Rodeo Automatic Gear Selecter Lock won't release

There is a TSB for this problem (it happened to my wife while I was deployed):

TSB SB03-04-S003

It's got the service procedure also attached for those that use ALLDATAdiy.
wmsbrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:36 AM   #11
par69
AF Newbie

Question A little more help

Guys, thanks for all the help and insight. I think I need to replace that solenoid. Is it difficult? Is it something I should have a mechanic or shop do? Is the part expensive? Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 99 V6 with an automatic at 114000 miles.
Paul
par69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #12
karenQB
AF Newbie

So after reading all of this and working through everything everyone said... in frustration, we just grabbed the cable with a set of pliers and pulled it gently till moved. After that, it was fine... worked through it over and over and the problem didn't repeat itself.
karenQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #13
jimmypodunk
AF Newbie

Does anyone know where I could buy and/or how much a shift lock solenoid costs?
Old 12-28-2010, 02:02 AM   #14
Mark in Idaho
AF Newbie

The relay can be found at many autopart stores. To remove the old relay, remove the 4 nuts holding the whole plastic shifter housing in place and lift it up about an inch. You will need a right angle tool like an allen wrench to depress the tab from under the housing. It takes quite a bit of force to get it to release. An inspection mirror will help you identify the place to depress.

The solenoid needs to be ordered from Isuzu withe the white plastic assembly. Avoid ordering it from a Honda dealer. They sell it with too many parts connected.

I get my Isuzu Rodeo parts from McCurley Isuzu in Pasco Washington. Gary Neibel is very helpful. He can ship everywhere and stocks the solenoid.

Expect to pay about $70 including shipping. The local Honda parts counter quoted me $140. fyi, Honda sold the Rodeo as the Honda Passport.

In some cases, the microswitch is malfunctioning. It can get jambed out of position. I cut a small piece of aluminum can to extend the lever so it makes better contact with the shifter. I use a 3/8 x 1/4 inch piece of aluminum rolled into a half round. I glue it to the end of the lever of the microswitch with either epoxy or super glue. Be careful. The microswitch is held on with very fragile plastic tabs. Do not try to remove it.

While you have this all apart, it may be a good time to replace the shift indicator light bulb with a fresh one. For just $2.00, it can give you more life before needing to take everything apart just to replace a bulb. The blue rubber cover peals off and can be installed on the new bulb.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU