Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 06:33 AM   #1
joe n suzanne
AF Newbie

Oil Pressure / Normal / 129psi ??????

HI hope you all can give me some help. Our 98 Buick Park Avenue electronic guage read out display gives me this for the oil pressure whether the engine is running or not. The read out is this.

Oil Pressure
Normal 129psi

The reading never changes at all, and I have tried pressing the reset button when it is displayed but it does not change anything for the oil pressure. It will say this all the time. Is this how it is suppose to read or do you think I have a problem. As for as the engine sounds, it sounds and runs great. All other electronic readings work good also.
Any help is appreciated.
Joe
joe n suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:02 AM   #2
deadring
AF Enthusiast

Re: Oil Pressure / Normal / 129psi ??????

i'd unplugged the oil pressure sensor... to check it.. and maybe change it.. its impossible to have the same oil pressure at every engine speed. but its possible to have a faulty pressure switch or oil pressure gauge.

first thing id' check would be the wire going to the sensor it could be cut and damaged...unplug the wire from the sensor and leave the sensor on the engine.. start up the car and check if the gauge is giving you the same 129 reading...if not check the sensor. remove the oil sensor and change it.. it shouldn't cost a fortune.. most of the time it's the sensor that goes bad.

--- edited---
oh yeah i forgot to ask, at 129 PSI is that at the maximum of the gauge? if so, it tells you that either the wire is cut along the way to the sensor or the sensor is bad..

hope this helps

deadring
deadring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:17 AM   #3
iusa1
AF Newbie

97 PA ulta oil p. also always at 129

I have the same exact problem. I will try the sugestion.

Thanks.
iusa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
joe n suzanne
AF Newbie

Hi deadring, thank you for the reply. Just one more question, and that is could you give me an idea where at on the engine is the oil pressure sensor. Should it be by the oil filter, or somewhere on the top. It is the 3800 Series II engine without supercharger.
Thanks Joe
Old 11-08-2004, 03:16 PM   #5
deadring
AF Enthusiast

hmmm i never looked at one on my park.. its either on one of the heads, the block or close to the oil filter.. but i'd go for the block.. it gonna screw right in somewhere.

sorry i cant help you ou tmore.. i got the car a month ago

deadring
deadring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:56 AM   #6
parkavenuechrome
AF Regular

Its right above the Oil Filter..
parkavenuechrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:18 PM   #7
joe n suzanne
AF Newbie

Hi Park Avenue Chrome, thanks for the location of the oil sensor. I am replying for my husband, so I will let him know what you said. If you read the rest of the replies, do you think that is what is wrong with my car? The oil pressure just stays at 129psi, and never changes at all. The reading is located in my electric read out, it is not a gauge like the old days.
Thank you for replying
Suzanne
Old 11-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #8
ChrisNJ
AF Newbie

mine's been stuck at 129 for 6 months. it's probably just the sending unit is bad. the engine would probably be leaking oil from somewhere at that pressure?
ChrisNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:20 PM   #9
papiot
AF Newbie

I have the exact same problem

888 kPa (129 PSI). It's been stuck like that for a while now. I will try the above suggestions and let you guys know how it went
papiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
bks81
AF Newbie

Hi all, I just joined because my oil pressure reading jumps all over the place, anywhere from 0 to 100psi. About 6 months ago the oil pressure was doing the same, but would read real low and give me the alert message to let me know it was reading low. Upon investigation, I found the wire going from the harness to the oil pressure sending unit was hanging down and rubbing on the drive axle, which wore the insulation off the wire and would "ground" it which gave the 0 oil pressure. I taped the wire and then tied it up to avoid the grounding situation. However, now my oil pressure has been reading between 60-100 psi lately, so I crawl back under to check it out. To make a long story short, the copper wire in all 3 wires going to the sending unit was broke inside the insulation causing an open in each wire periodically to make the pressure jump all over the place. I feel this is a manufacture defect and it will be a problem on many Buick’s so anyone with a sporadic oil pressure should have this checked out. Just my 2 cents.

Brian in IN
2000 Park Avenue
bks81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:55 PM   #11
bks81
AF Newbie

has anyone with the eratic oil pressure been able to solve their problem?? Just curious if the broken wires going to the sending unit on my car is what is wrong with all these others??
Old 02-14-2005, 07:04 PM   #12
bks81
AF Newbie

OK I just got done replacing the oil pressure sender connector/wires with GM's replacement pn 88988301 and the oil pressure is reading normal again. So all that still have a problem, you might want to try this. BEWARE-- GM retails this part for $50.00 ........ what a bunch of BS ..... Have a good one.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:19 PM   #13
69GTO
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to 69GTO

I changed the oil pressure sender connector/wires (91 Park Avenue) still got high oil pressure I guess the next thing would be the sending unit itself. Anybody got any thing to suggest
69GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:44 PM   #14
bks81
AF Newbie

Well I guess the only thing left is the sending unit or the gauge. You can double check the connection/ wires by crawling underneith and wiggling the wires/connector while the car is running and someone is watching the oil pressure. Sorry I if I didnt suggest this earlier.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:42 PM   #15
bks81
AF Newbie

Just replying to this thread to bring it back up front for people to see.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue