Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > How-To's and Walk-Through's
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
How-To's and Walk-Through's Here's where we show you how it's done!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 01:12 AM   #1
e1gato07
AF Newbie

HELP HELP water in my headlights

I need help I live in Oregon and I am getting water in my headlights I need ideas how to repair they are not broken some how I am getting water inside pleace help!!!!
e1gato07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 06:56 AM   #2
GTR2b
AF Regular

Re: HELP HELP water in my headlights

Somewhere in your headlight assembly you have a crack or the seal is leaking. It's only a matter of time before the bulb burns out now.

What you need to do is remove the bulb and drain out the light. Then be sure to dry out the ENTIRE inside of the headlight. Hairdryers work fine but a heat gun is better. Then, take silicone and lay beads of it down all of the seams of the light. Be sure to let the silicone dry fully before reinstalling it in the car.

If this does not work. You will be better off going to a junk yard and getting another light. Personally, I don't even bother trying to fix them any more, unless the leak is easily discovered.
GTR2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
prid3_pain
AF Newbie

also use a lot of the silcone.. dont be scared to use to... had the same problem on my projectors.. so all I did was drill a hole in the bottom of the lights..
prid3_pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:59 PM   #4
04CivicLover
AF Newbie

If you dont feel like going through all that trouble. I think it will be much easier to just go to a junk yard and pick up a head light
04CivicLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:06 AM   #5
PeanutM&MsRgood4u
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to PeanutM&MsRgood4u
Re: Re: HELP HELP water in my headlights

duct tape around the top of the light assembly, and where the bulb plugs in from the back if your super lazy.
PeanutM&MsRgood4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 03:55 PM   #6
d16civic
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: HELP HELP water in my headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutM&MsRgood4u
duct tape around the top of the light assembly, and where the bulb plugs in from the back if your super lazy.

Oh the amazing duct tape,tell me you are kidding,please!!
try silicone sealer,but yor best bet is to get a replacement head light.
d16civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 08:43 PM   #7
PeanutM&MsRgood4u
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: HELP HELP water in my headlights

Straight up! Duct tape is the best. But no, seriously my car is covered in it. Just kidding, but seriously I have duct tape fins on the back, haha just kidding. But seriously their electrical tape....
Old 12-01-2004, 01:18 AM   #8
e1gato07
AF Newbie

thanks for the advice. I tried the silicone already and it didn't work. I will try to put more silicone to see if it'll work, if not I will try to return it for a different one.
e1gato07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:01 AM   #9
JakeDrummer
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to JakeDrummer Send a message via MSN to JakeDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1gato07
thanks for the advice. I tried the silicone already and it didn't work. I will try to put more silicone to see if it'll work, if not I will try to return it for a different one.

alot of times if you go through high presured automadic car washes. just my two cents
94' S-10 - Winter Beater.
98' Jetta - Wife's Car.
81' Kawasaki LTD440

OLD/SOLD CARS: 93' Civic (Sold 124k) -- 91' Civic (Dead 300K) --
91' Civic (STOLEN) -- 92' Civic (Donor) -- 90' Caravan (Dead 227k) -- 89' Civic (Sold 289k) -- 90' Accord (Sold 265k) -- 96' Corrola (Dead 174k) -- 99' Beetle (Sold 134k)
JakeDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:15 PM   #10
PeanutM&MsRgood4u
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDrummer
alot of times if you go through high presured automadic car washes. just my two cents
Next time try putting in 3 or even 4 cents, maybe then youll have a complete idea written down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1gato07
Did you use silicone spray, or grese? Did you clean the seal first? Did you cover your head light in duct tape? How bout your car? Have you made fins out of tape yet?
Old 12-03-2004, 09:16 PM   #11
sportinawoody
AF Newbie

scrap all these ideas. the easiest, cheapest and MOST EFFECTIVE WAY to fix this is remove your lights and drill to little bity holes , one on each end of the light. this will vent any moisture and solve your problem PERMANENTLY. ive done this for people maybe 2 or 3 hundred times and on all my vehicles. trust me, this is the most effective way and you will never have foggy lights again
sportinawoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:38 AM   #12
PeanutM&MsRgood4u
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportinawoody
scrap all these ideas. the easiest, cheapest and MOST EFFECTIVE WAY to fix this is remove your lights and drill to little bity holes , one on each end of the light. this will vent any moisture and solve your problem PERMANENTLY. ive done this for people maybe 2 or 3 hundred times and on all my vehicles. trust me, this is the most effective way and you will never have foggy lights again
Plus, the added benifit is that without sealing out the outside air/moisture all that stuff will get on the bulb and help it to burn out faster. Nothings better than getting to change light bulbs every 6 months. Don't believe me? Try touching the glass on your bulb before you install it THEN install it and see how long it lasts.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:49 AM   #13
sportinawoody
AF Newbie

let me ask you something... if you crack both windows in the rain with foggy windows, does the windows hold fog smarty ??? no because the moisture in the car is ventilated. same concept. with proper ventilation nothing will hold moisture.like i said, i have this done to ALL m vehicles on 1 light or another and havent lost a bulb in yearssssssssssss. i appreciate your idea but thats all it is. i know from trial and error that this is absolutely, positively the only cheap, quick 1 time fix that will solve this problem. duct tape and sealer are good when you know where the leak is but this way you dont have to find it. evidence dont lie
sportinawoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:24 AM   #14
PeanutM&MsRgood4u
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportinawoody
let me ask you something... if you crack both windows in the rain with foggy windows, does the windows hold fog smarty ??? no because the moisture in the car is ventilated. same concept. with proper ventilation nothing will hold moisture.like i said, i have this done to ALL m vehicles on 1 light or another and havent lost a bulb in yearssssssssssss. i appreciate your idea but thats all it is. i know from trial and error that this is absolutely, positively the only cheap, quick 1 time fix that will solve this problem. duct tape and sealer are good when you know where the leak is but this way you dont have to find it. evidence dont lie
1.) I don't know where you live but here in Seattle Im pretty sure most people drive with the windows closed when its raining.
2.) How exactly does the air in YOUR car end up with a higher humidity/moisture content than the air outside during rain?
3.) Duct tape; I was being a smartmouth and wouldn't actually expect anyone to try.
4.) "with proper ventilation nothing will hold moisture" Thats stupid (note that I did not say YOUR stupid, so don't take this as a personal attack), what if you compleatly submerge your car in the ocean, if you start ventillating into the water what do you think will happen? Or even more realistic what if you drive a convertible with its top down, that would be ventillation to the extreme, yet in the rain Im pretty sure your convertible would hold moisture.
5.) If headlights were meant to have holes in them, don't you think they would come that way?
6.) Considering ALL the different types, shapes, and kinds of cars out there, wouldn't it be prudent to assume that what worked/works for your car(s) may not work for his, and might end up causing more damage (on new cars that = $$$).
7.) "evidence dont lie" technically the only real evidence you have is that your car's lights, in your weather seem to work. Would you be willing to pay to replace/repair his lights, should your suggestion not work?
Old 12-12-2004, 04:48 PM   #15
gismo0184
AF Newbie

so much hostility, i thought we were here to help eachother. smart mouthing isn't going to solve any problems neither will arguing. i agree with sportinawoody on this though. ventilation is necessary. in the rain if you slightly roll the window down you are letting denser air into your car allowing it to circulate the humid air inside from body heat and breathing. drilling small holes (2) works, even in the rain and the bulbs will not blow out. however, i think e1gato07 should choose the best method for his mechanical abilities and budget.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > How-To's and Walk-Through's