Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 10:43 PM   #1
nimkip
AF Newbie

does the evo mr out perform the sti in everything?

I hear the mr is the better handlier, and will get around a track faster. So does the sti still have the 0-60 and the 1/4 mile on the evo, or has that changed?
nimkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 12:11 AM   #2
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587
Re: does the evo mr out perform the sti in everything?

The '05 STi fixed the handling problems of the '04, but the Evo got better too with the addition of the MR. It also has a six-speed tranny (shorter gear ratios) and a bump in horsepower and torque. So, I'm pretty sure Subaru is toast.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 12:31 AM   #3
CrzyMR2T
AF Enthusiast

i dont know, the sti got anywhere from 12.9 to 13.4 for its quarter mile, which is about where the mr is. as for its suspension, who doesnt modify these cars, you can alway tune its suspension. stock vs stock though, i would imagine the evo to be even quicker around turns. the mr has acd, lighter wheels, more power, better shocks, and better transimisson, but it also costs more, like 3k more. subaru should just bring a special version here with a 2.0 or a 2.2 liter turbo motor, like the spec c.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:34 AM   #4
kfoote
AF Enthusiast

The EVO had 280F/260R lbs/in springs stock
STi is 180/160.

That's why the EVO has better handling.

The handling "problems" on the '04 STi were changed to make the car easier to drive for the genereal public with the DCCD in Auto Mode. IMO, the newer front diff will make the car ultimately slower than the '04's, though the wider wheels may make up for it.
kfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 10:15 AM   #5
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Re: Re: does the evo mr out perform the sti in everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfoote
The EVO had 280F/260R lbs/in springs stock
STi is 180/160.

That's why the EVO has better handling.

The handling "problems" on the '04 STi were changed to make the car easier to drive for the genereal public with the DCCD in Auto Mode. IMO, the newer front diff will make the car ultimately slower than the '04's, though the wider wheels may make up for it.

well stiffer springs don't necesarily translate into better handling. The EVO MR actually has softer suspension and handles better than the regular version.

And I would like to disagree that the new diff on the 05s will make the STI slower than the 04. The 05s got a Torsen style diff, that IMO is the best and only type of diff that should be placed between the front wheels of any car since its not a locking type diff but rather a torque biasing type.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

I'd like to see how an '05 Evo RS would do against an STi. It gets many of the MR's revisions such as the ACD, additional power, aluminum door beams, and the aluminum roof panel(I think). The RS was already lighter than the other Evos to begin with, so imho, it's the model to have. It's also cheaper than the STi.

Now if I could get one with only A/C(I live in TX) and ABS added.
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 01:45 PM   #7
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MexSiR

How about the new EVO FQ400 goes 0-60 mph in 3.5 freaking fast! 405 horsepower from a 2.0 liter engine.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/lancer_fq400.asp
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Pictures of my ride (Pictures)
MexSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 05:37 PM   #8
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

It's not available in the US, and at 46k(UK Pounds), costs far more than the US STi.
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 12:29 PM   #9
Mtang36
AF Regular

ahhhh.... the FQ series.....*DROOL*.... the best car in it's range.... it took on a ferrari modena, lotus exige, lambo gallardo and was up there with these guys... if not better. Though the lambo and ferrari beat it on the long straight roads by a small margin.... but then again... how many times do you drive on long straight roads? 3.5 secs 0-60!
The MR was enough to smoke the STI, but with the FQ... OH MY GOODNESS, they're playing with the big boys!
Mtang36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 12:40 PM   #10
Mtang36
AF Regular

Just read the article MexSIR. What a car eh? I mean... WHAT A CAR!!!! HOW THE? WHAT THE? WHO THE? WHY THE? Please give me one Lord.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:25 PM   #11
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MexSiR

Same for me. I want one!
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Pictures of my ride (Pictures)
MexSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:02 PM   #12
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

YES.

the evo has pretty much always outperformed the STI, the more "average person" friendly it gets the less performance it has. good to see you guys are getting the 6 spd Evo now. they must have run out of evo 7 gearboxes.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:36 AM   #13
Mtang36
AF Regular

If you wanna see evo videos. Some against the STI, go to car videos in this forum and check out the link in my post.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:23 AM   #14
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

The STi was never better than the EVO before the introduction of the MR and after it. I know what your thinking, the STi 300HP > EVO 271-276HP. The STI 1/4 Mile 13.2-13.4 > 13.3-13.8 EVO 1/4 Mile. People stop letting the magazines do all the thinking for you, real world numbers don't lie. Do you honestly think the EVO makes only 271HP right now, no the car consistently pulls 240 to 245WHP on a DYNO JET. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you factor in drivetrain loss (which is slightly higher for AWD cars) that the 4G63T in the EVO pushes closer to 300HP, still don't believe me. Dyno numbers don't lie, dynos for the EVO at the same shop on the same dyno have produce remarkably similiar dyno numbers with stock STis, so what is it, is Subaru over estimating the STi power is Mitsubishi under estimating? I think it is the latter. So there goes the theory of STi being a boat load more powerful.

Now as far as 1/4 mile times, I do believe the Sti is slightly quicker than the 03' and 04' GSR EVOs (not the RS model), but I ask if any of you guys ever gone to a drag racing event, look you'd be surprised at how close these two cars run the 1/4 mile stock for stock, and it seems to be a hella of a lot easier to drive the EVO to it's potential than it is to drive the Subaru. That is why on average I see stock EVOs usually getting the best of stock STi drivers, does that mean that the 03' and 04' EVOs are quicker, no. But it does mean that if the STi driver doesn't bring his A+ game, he will have his ass handed to him or her by an EVO. Once we start talking modifying it get's worst for the STi. Point in case of two brothers, one drives an STi, the other an EVO. The brother with the Sti was routinely off pace with his brother with the EVO. On stock turbos with relatively the same mods, the EVO ran 12.1 and the STi ran 12.6. Finally the STi brother got a turbo upgrade kit, and ran a 11.8 and he is making 450WHP. Not to be out done the EVO brother recently got his turbo upgrade and with a pathetic 60FT time of 1.9 he ran a 11.5. Impressive but this car has more in it than that, because on a DYNO JET, his EVO makes alittle over 550WHP!!! The signifigance is that these two brothers bought all their parts and had all their tunning done by the same shop, but achieved drastically different results. I can go on and on. If you think the STi is better because you like how it looks or you feel the interior is better, than that is great, but those are subjective ratings. Look the STi is an awesome car, but right now in America, as far as performance goes, the EVO MR, RS, and GSR have it beat.
3000ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:40 AM   #15
kfoote
AF Enthusiast

My direct experience with this:

A coworker of mine has an '04 EVO. There is a local New England driving club that does Time Trials at NHIS. There have been 3 events where he in the EVO has run against an '04 STi (3 different track configurations), both having completely stock engines, stock suspensions, the same tires, and similar brake pads. The EVO driver I would say is about 1 sec/lap faster than the STi driver, mostly due to differing experience levels (EVO driver is a former overall club champion, STi driver is in his 3rd year of driving on track). The EVO driver fully admits that with equal drivers, the STi would be faster. So far the EVO has won once, each time by about 0.5 sec, and the STi driver won once, by about 0.25 sec on the configuration that the STi's tourque advantage helps the most on.
kfoote is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons