Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 12:56 AM   #1
whammy
AF Newbie

Angry 1998 Malibu Water Pump

My girlfriend has a 1998 Malibu four-cyl 2.4 twin cam. It's been leaking coolant for a week or so and I told her it was okay to drive it occasionally to and from work as long as she kept water in it and the temp gauge didnt rise above normal.

She had it checked out by a mechanic and he said the water pump needs replacing. I want to fix this for her to save the cash because money's tight right now. I have access to any tool that will be needed except a lift. And all I am really familiar with is maintenance work on Hondas and Toyotas. I've replaced plenty of water pumps and timing belts on those cars before, so basically would this be a similiar job? My main concern is the malibu is chain driven and I'm not too familiar with how the water pump works on these cars(if it's connected to the timing chain or not). I have access to AllData(haven't had time to look at it yet obviously). I just need to know what I'm getting myself into. One of my friends mentioned I may need to tilt the engine to get to the pump, is this true? That is the thing that's worrying me because I will be doing this on a driveway and wont have access to a lift. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Also are there any suggestions to what else I might fix while I'm replacing the pump(I know on hondas it's suggested you replace the timing belt with the pump and sometimes the tensioner).

Thanks a bunch in advance!
whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:58 AM   #2
whammy
AF Newbie

Also, would I be able to use a product like StopLeak to prolong the water pump replacement? I know these aren't 100% reliable but is that an option worth considering?

And is there a certain brand to look/stay away from when buying the water pump? I know when I did her brakes they told me to stay away from GM brake parts because of how bad they were manufactured.
whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 07:34 PM   #3
fastk
AF Newbie

Coolant leak

Before you are going to change the water pump, check the intake manifold gasket first.

Most 97~2002 mailibu has this problem and GM knows it. Now there is a new type of gasket came out on 2003!!!

If you ask GM dealership about this problem they should know it and GM helps customers who has this problem.

There is a bleed hole in the water pump and if it do not have trace of coolant then it is not leaking.

You need to take out serpentine belt(acc. belt, not Timing belt)out from the water pump to remove it, but you do not need to lift engine to remove engine mount unless you are going to remove belt itself...

If intake manifold is leaking then it is good idea to change it as soon as possible because coolant will eventually get into the engine and mixed with engine oil or rust other parts....

Last edited by fastk; 10-25-2004 at 03:25 PM.
fastk is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu