Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 06:04 PM   #1
gregory914
AF Regular

Angry Wiper recall closed?

I went to my dealer today for the wiper delay board recall and was informed it was closed, however they'd be happy to sell me the part and install it at $70 per hour. I was then instructed to call GM customer satisfaction and discuss it with them. That was a waste of time and no one could tell me why it was closed but once it is, there is nothing they can do.

The customer service rep on the phone was nice and apologetic but could not explain why they would close or stop this recall because she gets a lot of calls about it every day. So I then ran through the hosts of other problems these vehicles ALL seem to have and told her this is an example of why people buy other brands and higher quality European brands. And she agreed and thanked me not screaming at her like most people do.
gregory914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
LastOne
AF Regular

Re: Wiper recall closed?

You can try resoldering the posts on the board where the connector meets the board or pick one up for about 37.00 at a parts store. I can say for sure I have already purchased my last new GM vehicle. I may buy used but never anything that puts $$ in GM's hands directly. Their a bunch of prostitutes, do whatever it takes to get your money then they can't remember your name after you leave!!!!!!
LastOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
dgelfuso
AF Newbie

For which years was the recall?
dgelfuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 06:27 PM   #4
GMCMudBogger
AF Enthusiast

Just take the time to resolder it better, it seems the factory cold soldered them and thus they develop hairline cracks, The board is not damaged just needs a better solder.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:43 AM   #5
gregory914
AF Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for your advice, last night I removed the wiper delay board and repaired it. I re-soldered 4 or 5 of the connection spots and cleaned off the contactor tips that touch the rotating gear inside the box. It all works fine now!

OH, the recall was for 94 thru 2000 and included a whole bunch of cars and trucks with delay wipers. Check the NHTSA site for your vehicle at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov
Old 01-12-2005, 02:05 PM   #6
cyberdead
AF Newbie

Just so you know I just got off the phone with GM
The wiper recall is not closed..
they had two one dated Jul 01, 1998 and one dated Apr 28, 2003 the girl on the phone was not even aware of the later after telliing me that I did not qualify for the 1998.
The GM Recall # 03023 is for the 2003 recall
I spoke with Kateland at 1-866-932-4368 x38525 :-)
After finding the second recall notice she was quite helpful.
cyberdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
gregory914
AF Regular

Thanks for the feedback but they did tell me abuot the 2003 recall and I was even sent a notice but they told me it was closed for my vin number. That's OK I just got another recall notice for the power mirror switch in the driver's door today, hopefully the idiots won't close that one on me too!
Old 07-07-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
skikt22
AF Newbie

My Chevy dealer diid both the wiper circuit board and the door switch recall late last year. It took a call to the GM rep for the wiper recall but all you have to do is tell them you had complained about it before and that the dealer you were working could not find a problem.

That was the good news, the bad was it took them 6 days to do both of these, probably 15 minutes worth of work. Supposedly they did not have the jumper for the switch in stock. Since I do not have them do my normal service I think it was more payback than anything.
skikt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
tammyiam
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to tammyiam Send a message via Yahoo to tammyiam
Re: Re: Wiper recall closed?

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site, but here is what I know about the wiper recall. I was at my dealer today before hurricane Dennis drops more rain on us in Ohio. I was told that they didn't have a recall, after I showed them a paper with the vin breakpoints included I got from another website. They suddenly found it. They then proceeded to tell me that the recall was only good for vehicles within the 7 year 70,000 mile range. I thought this was interesting seeing as my vehicle is included in a recall from October 2003 when it was already 9 years old. They did tell me of a brake light switch recall. They then tried to get me to pay them $87 including labor to reapir the wiper relay, $56 for the part the rest labor. I said forget it, and went to Advance Auto, they had the relay in stock for $30 with a lifetime warranty. Took all of five minutes to fix.

Tam
tammyiam is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban