Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 10:18 AM   #1
nugget207
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1998 code P1131

Have a 98 Ford Contour getting code P1131. Guys at Autozone told me Saturday was most likely O2 sensor. Bought and replaced it, vehicle ran fine until Monday afternoon, got Check Engine light again, went in and had them reset computer. Seemed fine and got light again yesterday. Now being told that the O2 wasn't the problem and guy I talked to last night couldn't understand why I was told that in the 1st place. He's now telling me to try replacing the fuel filter and the plugs. He also said it could be the air intake valve (something that I don't think I could change) I have the fuel filter, going to put that on Friday, but holding out on the plugs for right now.

Symptoms: 78,000 miles. Car sometimes idles rough at stops and in park, but not always. Once I hit 55-60 MPH can tell there's obviously a problem, like car not getting enough fuel. Having the AC on makes problems worse. Exhaust also smells different after running the car. Have had the car die several times, usually when slowing down to turn or stop.

Help me out guys, I don't have the money to go to a mechanic, especially after spending $70 on an O2 sensor I didn't need.
nugget207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

P1131 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1 (Rear of engine).

I hope you replaced the right sensor. If its the V6, its the top 02 sensor on the rear of the engine.

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:23 AM   #3
nugget207
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 code P1131

It's only a 4, so I'm cool. But why am I still having trouble???? It's not wanting to die when I'm idling or anything, but when I hit about 55 MPH, the engine starts running really rough. Also, exhaust smells different than usual. As I said, I've got a new fuel filter I plan on putting on tomorrow. What about this air intake valve? Could that be the problem? He showed me where it was and I'd have no idea how to get to it, with it being under the manifold and all.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:48 PM   #4
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

I would guess its a vacuum leak somewhere, causing it to run lean then. Check the iac valve.

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:03 PM   #5
nugget207
AF Newbie

Funny you mentioned that...they guy at Autozone, which by the way I was pretty impressed with him, thought that too but when he went out and checked it on my car, he didn't hear or sense one. By the way, whats the iac valve?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:14 AM   #6
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pre98zetec Send a message via MSN to pre98zetec Send a message via Yahoo to pre98zetec

Idle Air Control Valve

96' Integra GSR / ITR cams/valvetrain. Skunk2 IM, Greddy evo2, AEM CAI, RMF Header, Megan testpipe, Hasport mounts, Eibach coilovers, Beaks tie bar, Megan H brace, Rota Attacks, F/R strut bar, Kirk 6 point cage, Bride Cugas, Takata 4 Point, ITR Steering wheel
98' SVT Contour, 3L Port-Matched swap with SVT cams/full bolt ons; 224fwhp.
01' Chevy Blazer, DD.
pre98zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
dtb1174
AF Newbie

Can anybody tell me if these fixes worked? I'm having the same code come up. What's the first thing I should fix? Is there a way to test the fuel pressure on this engine?
Thanks!
Derek
dtb1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour