Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 02:14 PM   #1
Corkscrew
AF Newbie

Best way to glue dash pad back down?

Part of the dash pad covering on my mom's Lumina is coming apart and I'm going to try glue it back together. What's the best glue for that? Would epoxy work? It's a vinyl or flexible plastic covering with I believe a thin foam underneath, to be glued to the plastic 'frame/base/main part/whatever you call it', which probably has some residual glue and foam on it - trying to clean this out will probably cause the dash pad to split apart even more.

Also does anyone have a recommendation of a small clamp that I could leave in place to keep it secured? It can't be large since it would be on the front part of the dash pad up against the windshield.
Corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:41 AM   #2
CpaintCars
AF Newbie

Re: Best way to glue dash pad back down?

If the dash is plastic you could try to use a plastic epoxy or fiberglass filler. Then you can sand it smooth, prime it then paint it. But its not going to be easy to make it look good...you may want to look into a bodyshop doing the repair for you or getting a new dash and painting it if you need to which would be much easier.
CpaintCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:34 AM   #3
Corkscrew
AF Newbie

Sorry but I don't think you understand. Again, the dash panel is just thin vinyl (it's flexible), and I need to glue it down to the plastic underneath. No sanding or painting will be needed. It couldn't be sanded. This is not a big job. It's the much better route than buying a new dash (which aren't available anyway).
Old 10-01-2004, 12:28 PM   #4
CraigFL
AF Regular

I would use contact cement. Coat both parts, let it dry and then stick together. It will never come apart when it touches. If it's a larger area, put wax paper between the surfaces and align as you pull out the wax paper.
CraigFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 12:01 PM   #5
Corkscrew
AF Newbie

I don't own contact cement, nor have I ever used it. I do own epoxy, but if you think that will work better, I'll buy it.

Also have shoe goo, and E6000 glue.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:57 AM   #6
CraigFL
AF Regular

You should get ecperience with contact cement since it can be used for many things like this. It's not expensive. If you only have a small area, you can just buy a tube of it for 99 cents...
Old 10-04-2004, 11:00 AM   #7
CpaintCars
AF Newbie

Oh ok...sorry about the misunderstanding.... Hes right though...contact cement would be the least expensive solution.
CpaintCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:24 PM   #8
Corkscrew
AF Newbie

Any certain brand/name of contact cement you'd recommend? I have a Lowes across the street.

I'm not worried about price. I want what will hold the best, considering I wont be cleaning out the thin foam padding in between. I already have 2 part epoxy, and many other glues. I may even have contact cement if it has another fancy name by a mfg. I'll have to look later.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:01 AM   #9
CraigFL
AF Regular

There are many different brands but 3M and Duco are common...
Old 10-13-2004, 07:54 AM   #10
lckycharm713
AF Regular

i heard that gorrilla glue is good stuff. i am a carpenter and i know the stuff we use for roll roofing is some sticky stuff. i forgot what name it is, ill look tomorrow if need be, i see that is a week old, you may have done it already. just look watch out, so glues eat through vinyl.

"Only babies suck bottles (NOS)"
lckycharm713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 04:22 PM   #11
Corkscrew
AF Newbie

No, I haven't done it yet. I can't decide what to use. It's basically a one time deal, since failed dried glue will screw it up and a re-do won't work to well.
Funny I was just thinking about Gorilla Glue this morning since I heard a commercial for it on the radio. I've never used the stuff.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:00 PM   #12
lckycharm713
AF Regular

i uncle uses it when he wounts deer heads. i think something where you have to glue both sides and let it wait for 5-10 mins is the best. i use 3M 90 on vinly. i used that on the door panals and headliner, worked well, but in your case, it seem like it wants to pull apart, so you need something strong.i need to do the same thing on my camaro. i see your new here, you might want to put that under a reg. trend under say camaro, or mustang. where theres alot of ppl to answer your question. someone might know more. also try doing a screach on glue dash. im sure someone had this b4. when i get some time , ill look for ya, ill see what i come up with, right now the gf is coming and she'll bitch that im not with her and on here. lol, you know how that works. good luck man

"Only babies suck bottles (NOS)"
lckycharm713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:31 AM   #13
CraigFL
AF Regular

Watch out for Gorilla glue --- it's good stuff when used in the right application. It's a polyurethane tye glue that foams to fill in gaps. It won't stick instantly like the contact cement but will take an hour or so to set. The foam will extrude out through the cracks and may damage the surface.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:09 PM   #14
Corkscrew
AF Newbie

Again, there are no cracks.
I have the dash out. I can clamp it until it dries so that's not a problem.
So is it about the strongest stuff I can get? I'm not paying a lot for professional poly windshield sealant.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:54 PM   #15
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Dap Weldwood Landau top and trim Adhisve is a very good contact cement. It tacks very quickly, and it withstands heat up to 250+ degrees. It is much much much better than 3m Hi-Strength 90 (that stuff takes forever to tacky, don't waste the $$ on it). The Dap Weldwood Landau top and trim adhisve is the strongest stuff I have found bar none, and it tacks quick. 3M Hi-Strength 90 (their "strongest" spray bottle kind, part #8090) is pure junk if you want my 2 cents. Takes to long to tack, WAAAYYY to long, and doesn't hold to my liking eiither.
The Dap stuff can be shot out of a glue out, or you can pour some into a paint gun and shoot it that way (MUCH cheaper than a glue pot, since I am sure you don't have one). Now, assuming you don't have a compressor, you can brush it on as well. You can put the brush to soak in lacquer thinner when you're done to remove the contact cement so you can re-use it later. Just make sure to rinse it off and dry it before you re-use it again.

I don't know if you can get the Dap stuff in small amounts though, we get it @ the uphostery shop in 5 gallon pails. Also, try calling up the local upholstery wholesalers and ask about it, since I doubt lowe's-home depot carry it (I could be wrong, but I am almost sure they don't).

It's just that easy folks... mind the forum guidelines and we're cool.
Empty Pockets Racing Member #6
EPR Member 4 Life
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General