Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
dellryan
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to dellryan
Post using 2003 Navigation in a 98 aurora

I need some expert help here... What do I need in order to install the 2003 nav unit in a 1998 aurora. Is there a special harness I Need to purchase in order to make it work and use the wheel controls? Everyones help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank You.
dellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:12 PM   #2
Marc_Aurora_2001
AF Newbie

This is very complicated. You'll need the Onstar system,
because the 2003 Nav radio is dependant on the Onstar's
GPS function.
I wanted to do the same installation in my 2001, but it
looked like it was going to be VERY expensive. So I
got a Garmin Street Pilot III & mounted it on the console.
This aftermarket nav unit worked out fine.

GM!!! BRING BACK OLDS!!!
Marc_Aurora_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:20 PM   #3
99Intrigue
AF Newbie

Re: using 2003 Navigation in a 98 aurora

The OnStar is not need for the Nav unit to fuction. Some of the OEM installed systems use one GPS antenna for OnStar and Navigation or use the wire-harness to route the GPS antenna from the back of the car to the radio and to pass the OnStar voice prompts to the radio.
If you do not have the OnStar system you can get the GPS antenna mounted in the front of the vehicle, under the windshield HVAC vent cover, and route the GPS antenna cable and connector inside the dashboard to the back of the Nav Radio without exposing any wires and keeping the OEM look.
The Nav radio has its own GPS Receiver and Gyro built in and require a GPS Antenna connection.

Depending on the vehicle radio connector you may need an adapter. Most GM cars prior to 2002 used the GM Radio 32-pin connector and the 2002 and newer cars use a 24-plus-12 radio connector with the first 24 pins used for the speakers, illumination, steering wheel control, power, Amp Sense ... The 12-pin connector on the newer GM radios is used for Aux inputs like CD-Changer, XM receiver, RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) and the Mono In from OnStar or a Mobile phone.

Please note that not all 2002 and newer Nav units will work in older vehicles as some of the newer Nav units do not use the Ignition circuit to activate but use a computer message from the BCM. No BCM message to the radio, radio will not turn on. You can still get them to work but it gets a bit more complicated than most people would like for a DIY. Also some of the OEM Nav units require the use of an external OEM Amp as the internal radio Amp is turned off.

The only other thing you may have to do is some minor modifications to the Radio mounting place, behind the radio cover. These modifications are not specific to the Aurora, and the Aurora may not need the modifications, but some vehicles do need minor modifications for the Nav unit to mount and seat properly.

Once you start using the Nav system you wonder how you did without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_Aurora_2001
This is very complicated. You'll need the Onstar system,
because the 2003 Nav radio is dependant on the Onstar's
GPS function.
I wanted to do the same installation in my 2001, but it
looked like it was going to be VERY expensive. So I
got a Garmin Street Pilot III & mounted it on the console.
This aftermarket nav unit worked out fine.

GM!!! BRING BACK OLDS!!!
99Intrigue is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora