Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 03:31 AM   #1
Hesam
AF Newbie

Thumbs down When GM Says: 100,000 Mile Tune-Up

When GM says 100,000 mile tune-up, They actually mean: THIS CAR'S PARTS WILL LAST 100,000 MILES AND AFTER 100,000 MILES THEY start dying ON YOU 1 AFTER ANOTHER, UNTIL YOU SPEND 4 TIMES THE BOOK-VALUE OF THE CAR AND REPLACE 30 PARTS, AND THEN YOU SELL YOUR CAR FOR 1/4 OF WHAT YOU PAID FOR, making you wonder WHY YOU EVEN BOUGHT 1 IN THE FIRST PLACE!
I miss my old Plymouth Roadrunner that didn't have any of the electronic stuff, had an everlasting tranny, powerful engine that needed tune-up every month, but had zillion easy miles on it.
No 100,000 mile tune up for me.
For now I keep driving my 95 Aurora that's perfectly tuned up (after spending $1400), we'll see howlong it'll last.
Hesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:03 PM   #2
dsatt12
AF Enthusiast

Re: When GM Says: 100,000 Mile Tune-Up

That sounds about right, except I got mine used from the poor bastard that took a $27,000 hit in 5 years on depreciation, so I don't feel quite so bad.

I read that once past the warranty period, 95% of car repairs are done at 3rd party shops. Even 5% of all the crap that breaks from keeping various fluids and things in a car for the first 100k miles has got to add up to a lot of profit.

Then add the kickbacks from the vast oil company/car maker/service shop conspiracy and you get all sorts of stock options as a CEO

Seriously though- aren't you being a little overly nostalgic? I can without a qualm say compared to modern FI systems, carburetors suck. I never want to have to use my fat fingers to try to adjust and otherwise make one work again. Let's not even talk about the one that one that was on my buddy's older Honda- I still have nightmares. And while I was just a youngun' helping my dad- all those old cars like your Roadrunner were lucky to get 70,000 miles out of 'em before they just plain wore out in most cases. Sure, if you were top notch fanatical at preventative maintenance you could stretch it out, but it's sure not like the just hop in and go of most cars now. I spent a lot of time helping (with my nimble little youngun's fingers coincidentally) keeping a beauty of a '72 Barracuda running right.
dsatt12 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora