Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 11:29 AM   #1
daman
AF Regular

PF47 vs. PF52 oil filter

On my 2003 montana would there be any problems using a PF52 oil filter over the PF47 your manual says to use. Ive done that on some other cars with no prob. I like the little extra oil capacity.Any thoughts??
1999 GMC 3500 SRW 4x4 7.4 4:10's FF G80
2004 Chevrolet Impala LS 3800

"ALWAYS"...... full synthetic!!!

Last edited by daman; 03-26-2008 at 11:24 PM.
daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
umina
AF Regular

I did that with my Lumina, used the Z34 3.4L filter, and had no problems. I figure if it matches up threadwise and there is clearance for it, you shouldn't have to worry about any problems being caused by having extra capacity in the filter. Just remember to add extra oil to the motor.
umina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
ggcatt
AF Enthusiast

Re: PF47 vs. PF52 oil filter

As well as the threads matching properly, make sure the filter compression seal fits properly with enough surface area to the engine. If there is not enough sealing surface you may develop a leak and loose oil.
ggcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
kpn
AF Newbie

Why second guess what the oem powertrain engineers with tons more experience than us have decided was the best filter to use. Don't you think the thought of using the other filter crossed their minds? Maybe its a simple reason like it took up more space and the smaller one was easier to install and un install. However, maybe its that the PF47 gives more backpressure and that is what the oil pump and related oil system parts were designed for. Who knows? Personnally I wouldn't second guess what the oem told me unless I personnally knew one of the powertrain engineers and he could explain why.

Keith
kpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:30 AM   #5
DamienZ28
AF Regular

You make a good point. But on the other hand I have always upsized my filters also for many years and no problems. Im not saying go out and do this just that I have and it works.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:44 AM   #6
tmorris1
AF Regular

The PF-52 is the same diameter as the PF-47 only a littke longer if I am not mistaken. The only problem you may have is a clearance issue with the frame crossmember right under the oil filter. Remember the engine will move a little under torque loads too. Be carefull.
tmorris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:10 AM   #7
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Stick with the stock filter. there is no reason to put a longer filter on. There is no advantage to having an extra 6oz of oil in your system. The longer filter can have a negative effect on oil pressure, due to the larger volume, and that's not a trade off that makes much sense.
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:14 PM   #8
tmorris1
AF Regular

I would also stick with the stock filter. If you think you need another 6oz or whatever it takes, just put that much more in with the stock filter, it won't hurt anything.
tmorris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:53 PM   #9
KJRich
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to KJRich Send a message via Yahoo to KJRich

The PF52 will fit just fine. My dad uses it on his '98 and I use it on my '99.
KJRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
mmcarchat
AF Newbie

for years chevrolet used different capacity filters on the same identical blocks depending on whether it was a truck or high performance. A v8 passenger standard filter was smaller than a van or truck with the same block in it. High performance had high volume and definitely used the longer filter. I have always used the larger of the two sizes for extra filtration only and not for oil capacity. I am going out to buy PF52 oil filters this week to replace my PF47. The dealer actually used the longer on one of my oil changes that they did during service. Have a happy oil change!!!!!
mmcarchat
former GM Cadilac mechanic and now hotrod enthusiest
mmcarchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #11
MrHaak
AF Newbie

Using a PF52 where a PF47 is specified will not harm the engine. It has more filter area than a PF47 and matches threads and gasket mount perfectly.

Most of the PF47 vs PF52 issues are with whether or not you can fit it in the space available in the engine compartment.

I prefer the PF52 over the PF47 because of the greater filter area and it fits perfectly in our '99 Transsport/Montana 3.4L. I would love to use it in our '00 Malibu 3.1L but it's hard enough to get the PF47 in and out and a PF52 just is too long to fit.

The most important thing to me is that the filter and oil get changed at or before the recommended interval. That and using good quality oil will prolong the life of the engine. Don't skip filters on any oil changes to save a few $.
MrHaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Please check the last post date in the thread and avoid posting in it if it is beyond 3 months from the current date. This thread is over 3 1/2 years old.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6