Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > Traffic Violations - U.S. only
Traffic Violations - U.S. only Discuss anything conerning speeding tickets and other traffic violations in the US.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 07:39 AM   #1
bc1960
AF Newbie

Question Can CA DMV suspend my NV license?

Long story short: I was involved in a minor accident while visiting California over July 4th. Other guy's fault, no one hurt, but exchanged license/insurance info with other driver and gave info to cop to put on police report as well.

A couple of week ago received "courtesy notice" from California DMV stating that I need to provide them with my insurance info since I was involved in an accident w/over $750 damage. I disregarded the notice because 1) insurance was settled, 2) I don't have a CA license, and most of all 3) they obviously got my Nevada address from the police report--if they're too stupid to get my insurance info off there why should I bother?

Well last week I received a letter from CA DMV stating my license will be suspended in September because I didn't file a DMV traffic accident report (form SR-1) showing liability coverage in effect for the accident.

I haven't received anything from NV DMV about this, and I don't expect too since I have a clean driving record and I am legally insured. The question is, does CA's DMV have the power to suspend my NV license, or are they full of $hit and are too stupid to realize I don't have a CA license?

Thanks in advance,

BC
bc1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:01 PM   #2
lwpat
AF Newbie

California Courtesy Notice

Quote:
I disregarded the notice
Did you really think that they were going to go to the trouble of sending you a courtesy notice and then not have to ability to do anything about it?

California can and will suspend your driver's license in the state of California and then notify the Nevada DMV. If you go to the trouble of contacting the Nevada DMV, they will probably advise that they will also suspend your license once they receive the notice from California.

If your license is suspended then your insurance rates, once you get the mess straightened out, will probably double. To get it straighted out after your license is suspended you will have to pay a fine to California and also Nevada. I would suggest that you get it straightened out now rather than later unless you are partial to beans and potato salad.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:06 PM   #3
bc1960
AF Newbie

Quote:
Did you really think that they were going to go to the trouble of sending you a courtesy notice and then not have to ability to do anything about it?
Well DUH, if I thought they had any jurisdiction in this matter I wouldn't have asked would I? Sheesh. And yes, if they're too stupid to get the insurance info off the police report then I certainly think they might be too stupid or powerless to do anything. Not to mention, if they do try to contact the Nevada DMV and claim that I have no insurance, Nevada has proof on file showing otherwise.

Unless you have first hand experience, thank you for your opinion.
bc1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:36 PM   #4
lwpat
AF Newbie

Re: Can CA DMV suspend my NV license?

You're welcome.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:25 PM   #5
MARS
AF Regular

California Can Put A Hold On Your Nevada License If You Ignore This Matter. What Might Happen Is, You Won't Be Able To Renew Your License. You Should Resolve This Matter Asap With Both California And Nevada Dmv's Before Your Suspension Or Hold Goes Into Effect. Good Luck!
MARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:30 PM   #6
MARS
AF Regular

California Can Put A Hold On Your Nevada License If You Ignore This Matter. What Might Happen Is, You Won't Be Able To Renew Your License. You Should Resolve This Matter Asap With California And Nevada Dmv's Before Your Suspension Or Hold Goes Into Effect. Good Luck!
MARS is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > Traffic Violations - U.S. only