Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 05:10 AM   #1
dshow
AF Newbie

Gasket around license plate area

I have an '03 TB that the rubber basket around the piece that holds the rear license plate keeps getting sucked in behind it. It has been replaced twice by the dealer and the third one is starting to go....
(I have notice many other TB's with this problem)

Is there a fix for this? What happens when it is no longer under warranty?
dshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:01 AM   #2
markbair
AF Regular

Angry

I have an '03 as well. I took it too the dealer once for them to fix it and they scratched the crap out of my tailgate and had to repaint it!!

I have sinced moved and have the same problem once again. I took it to the dealer here and he has never heard of that problem. Go figure....I have seen a couple of bulletins released on it (from searching the internet this weekend) and am going to bring them to his attention.

TSB#: 04-08-66-001 Jan 04

I think this is the one. Hopefully this will aid him in fixing it. You are not alone in your troubles!!

Quick Question: Mine is getting sucked behind on the right side of the holder. Towards the top. Is yours in the same place?
markbair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 05:03 PM   #3
dshow
AF Newbie

Re: Gasket around license plate area

Yep... Right top corner. Is it something to do with the heat from the sun causing it to shrink?

A majority of the TB's I've seen have this problem...
Old 08-15-2004, 06:46 PM   #4
markbair
AF Regular

I am not sure if it is the sun shrinking it or what, but it is annoying!! My dealer here said, "Hmm....I have never seen that before...." I was thinking, sure, I bet. I see it on just about EVERY trailblazer. Go figure...he he.

Hopefully I can get this fixed tomorrow. He said it may take a few days...I better get a rental car. A few days?? Maybe to order the part. Let me know if you find out anything. (Another Bulletin or something)

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #5
dshow
AF Newbie

I think I need to watch them repair it next time because after the warranty runs out... we'll be fixing it on our own... (They should give us a lifetime supply of gaskets too!)
Old 08-15-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
markbair
AF Regular

Talking

I agree 100% he he.....

The hardest part would be taking apart the paneling (is that right? I can't spell) on the inside to get to the bolts that hold that thing on. I guess that is how that thing is held on. Like I said before, I don't think the dealer even knew how to take it off, considering they scratched it like crazy the first time.

I agree with you though, I may be watching them from afar...... he he
Old 08-16-2004, 07:21 AM   #7
Bullethole
AF Regular

Mine looked a little funky when I took delivery a year ago. By this summer it looked like melted sealant. Took it back to the dealer and he said he does 2-3 a week. Fixed it while I waited (45 min.) The new gasket looks fine but we will have to wait and see if it lasts.
Bullethole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:34 AM   #8
b_zieman
AF Newbie

hey mine came without one period... i havent ever bothered to get it put on cuz to be honest i think it looks 100 times better without it.
b_zieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:43 AM   #9
markbair
AF Regular

I like the way it looks with it, they just need to figure out why it keeps melting/shrinking. It is totally crazy.

I just back from the dealer and they are ordering me another gasket and will fix it again. Apparently in the Service Bulletin is something about tightening the bolts a certain way (Like a head gasket) to keep the seal from sneaking back behind it again. Crazy huh??

I find it very odd that only the right-top of the gasket is where it is sneaking behind. Is the wind somehow pulling that section out and the gasket sliding behind? It just doesn't make sense that it keeps doing it.

Last edited by markbair; 08-16-2004 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:05 PM   #10
Mr. Northface
AF Enthusiast

Mine did it & I had the jerks at the delership fix it. They also scratched up my tailgate!

Now it is doing that again & I plan on having it done once more

Can't say I have much faith in the new part holding any better......& supposedly, I have the "newer" design version to hold better.....yeah right! I have seen so many other T.B's with the same problem....way to go GM!
Mr. Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:58 PM   #11
The Black Pearl
AF Regular

I am in the market for a used TB and found the same problem on an 03 I was looking at. Does the rear wiper release any washer fluid on that side? Maybe its a reaction to the washer fluid if it does??
The Black Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:39 AM   #12
ReefShark
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to ReefShark

I read this post and went out and looked at my '02. No problem, no gasket. Guess this was added in '03, if someone was an '02 with a gasket, let me know.
ReefShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:17 PM   #13
The Black Pearl
AF Regular

Just took home an 04 for the night and the gasket is fine, but the 04 Envoy that was parked beside it had a problem. I now look at the gaskets on all the Envoys and TB I have been looking at and noticed that a majority of these SUV's have a problem witth the passenger side gasket.
The Black Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:30 PM   #14
jl830344
AF Newbie

Just piad dealer $133 to have my gasket replaced. Trim Not under warranty. and have 39000 miles on it.
Out of luck I guess.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #15
iimac13
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to iimac13

I've had mine replaced 3 times under warranty...it keeps getting sucked in...

Problem is that dirt/moisture gets inside the door and can cause a worse problem in the long run.

I told the dealer to just take it off, and I did some handycraft kind of repair myself, using scotch tape to outline the plate and applied black silicone(for gaskets) very neatly. Once the tape was removed, it took a couple hours to dry, it looks perfect, and I guarantee it WON'T get sucked in.....
iimac13 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT