Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunfire > General Discussions
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 10:27 PM   #1
Brandish
AF Regular

2.2L OHV engine knocking noise

G'day,

I have a '95 Sunfire 5-speed with the 2.2L OHV (carryover engine from the Sunbird), and I get this knocking or ratlling noise in the engine when I'm idling. I seem to hear the same noise from other 'fires/cavs from that era, so I'm wondering if it's anything to be concerned about. I found this GM site with a list of recalls, and I remember reading something about that exact noise in those engines, and they described it as "normal" from what I remember. The car runs fine, passed emissions this year, no other problems, I just dunno if it's the sound of impending doom, or if it is in fact "normal." Thanks in advance for any advice!
Brandish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:51 AM   #2
Waleygator
AF Newbie

Re: 2.2L OHV engine knocking noise

Brandish...could I get that GM recall site address from you please!!! You can either respond here or to waleygator@yahoo.com

Again...thanks!

QUOTE=Brandish]G'day,

I have a '95 Sunfire 5-speed with the 2.2L OHV (carryover engine from the Sunbird), and I get this knocking or ratlling noise in the engine when I'm idling. I seem to hear the same noise from other 'fires/cavs from that era, so I'm wondering if it's anything to be concerned about. I found this GM site with a list of recalls, and I remember reading something about that exact noise in those engines, and they described it as "normal" from what I remember. The car runs fine, passed emissions this year, no other problems, I just dunno if it's the sound of impending doom, or if it is in fact "normal." Thanks in advance for any advice![/quote]
Waleygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 08:53 AM   #3
hotbug1776
AF Regular

could be lifter knock, or it could be Injector tick. injectors are more noticeable at idle, and lifter knock is all the time loud, unless it's doing it from oil pressure drop, and it might go away with RPM. I've beaten a 2.2L pretty hard and still never spun a bearing (even no oil for a long drive). So, Idoubt it's a bearing. Try to localize the sound and tell us where it's coming from. the head area, the fuel rail, or maybe the block.
hotbug1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:23 AM   #4
Brandish
AF Regular

Re: Re: 2.2L OHV engine knocking noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waleygator
Brandish...could I get that GM recall site address from you please!!! You can either respond here or to waleygator@yahoo.com

Again...thanks!

QUOTE=Brandish]G'day,

I have a '95 Sunfire 5-speed with the 2.2L OHV (carryover engine from the Sunbird), and I get this knocking or ratlling noise in the engine when I'm idling. I seem to hear the same noise from other 'fires/cavs from that era, so I'm wondering if it's anything to be concerned about. I found this GM site with a list of recalls, and I remember reading something about that exact noise in those engines, and they described it as "normal" from what I remember. The car runs fine, passed emissions this year, no other problems, I just dunno if it's the sound of impending doom, or if it is in fact "normal." Thanks in advance for any advice!
[/quote]

Having trouble finding the exact site, but I found something here... If you scroll down to Apr. '98 it mentions something about engine "clattering" at idle.

I'll see if I can localize the sound. Oh and one other thing... I don't usually hear it when I first fire it up; it seems to get more audible as the car runs longer.
Brandish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:44 PM   #5
nos_355
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to nos_355
all 2.2 make knocking/ticking noise at idle, not a whole lot you can do about it, most of the new 2.2's do it even
nos_355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
240unknown
AF Newbie

its called put oil in your car
240unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:04 AM   #7
hotbug1776
AF Regular

could be the valvetrain getting warm, as the pushrods heat up, they get longer and change the valve train tolerances. Since you don't hear it when you first start it up, and only after it heats up, I would tend to think it's valve train knock from reaching operating temp.
hotbug1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
sblauw
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandish
G'day,

I have a '97 Sunfire and had the same knocking/rattling noise that you are discussing. My muffler guy said that all the sunfires do that and that it wasn't a problem, so I didn't worry about it. I recently had the timing chain break and after discussing the noise/repair with an expericence mechanic, he stated that it was a piece down by the timing chain that either get bent or breaks off (causing the noise) and that if it would have been replaced, it would have saved me a lot a money & frustration. The cost to repair this after it breaks is $600 to $1,000 (due to valves getting bent or broken when the belt goes) and it would have taken care of the sound in the engine. The cost of a timing chain at your local auto parts store is under $50.00. To all of you that are experiencing this noise; HAVE THE TIMING CHAIN CHECKED & replaced if needed....it will probably take care of the rattling/knocking. I hope that I can help someone out there so that they don't have to go through what I am right now. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!
sblauw is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunfire > General Discussions