Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 07:49 AM   #1
KJK
AF Newbie

Hey, 2000Frontera, need help with wiper delay relay ID

I read the thread about fixing the wiper delay on a '98 Rodeo and I found the box but I have no idea how to figure out which relay is bad. There are four large ones (one is turned different on the board) and a small one. I could get a picture if that would help refresh your memory. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
KJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
2000Frontera
AF Newbie

I'll pop the box out over the weekend and identify the relay and get back to you. But if mckpal who did his recently on the other "Intermittent wiper problem" thread reads this, maybe he can still remember. Either way you'll know soon.

Wayne.
2000Frontera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 07:18 AM   #3
KJK
AF Newbie

That would be great! I can replace it easily enough once I identify it.

On my board the relay locations are labeled 1-5.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
2000Frontera
AF Newbie

OK, I've taken two photos showing component side and track side. I've uploaded them into my "personal photo gallery". Not sure how you view them yet. First time to do that. But if you do find them, the circled relay is the one to replace. You will notice that the circled relay is an original. This is because to get things working until I sourced a replacement relay I swapped it out with the relay on the left of it. This is the rear wiper relay. I could live without that for a while. When I sourced a replacement relay I got the rears working again. It is a bit tricky. You'll need a proper solder (I think you guys say soder?) iron and desolder tool. Heat the pins and wiggle and the relay will eventually come out. Clean the leg holes and pop in the replacement. Any good electronic store should stock the relay.

Wayne.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
2000Frontera
AF Newbie

Talking

Worked out the Gallery.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:14 AM   #6
KJK
AF Newbie

Found the pictures. Thanks a lot! That was above and beyond the call of duty. I owe you big time. (We also say solder.)

Is it alright to drive the vehicle with this box removed? It would make things easier but I don't want to screw anything else up!

Last edited by KJK; 06-22-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
2000Frontera
AF Newbie

I don't think you can drive with it out. Didn't try, but apart from controling wiper function and that beep beep sound, it is essentially the alarm unit. I would think without it in circuit you would be immobilized. Try it. I can't see that it would hurt to. Good luck with your soldering.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:56 AM   #8
jareda80
AF Newbie

Re: Hey, 2000Frontera, need help with wiper delay relay ID

I'm new to the board as I just bought my Rodeo last week. The forum sure is a wealth of knowledge. My rear wiper has the common "goes halfway and stops" problem. Fuse is good, motor is good. I'm guessing it's the relay in the alarm unit. Is there anything else it could be? If it is the alarm unit is the rear wiper relay the one on the bottom left of the picture? Also, where is the best place to get the relay, the dealer? KJK, where did you get yours? TIA.
jareda80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 11:38 AM   #9
KJK
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Hey, 2000Frontera, need help with wiper delay relay ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareda80
I'm new to the board as I just bought my Rodeo last week. The forum sure is a wealth of knowledge. My rear wiper has the common "goes halfway and stops" problem. Fuse is good, motor is good. I'm guessing it's the relay in the alarm unit. Is there anything else it could be? If it is the alarm unit is the rear wiper relay the one on the bottom left of the picture? Also, where is the best place to get the relay, the dealer? KJK, where did you get yours? TIA.
I haven't been checking this forum every day so sorry for the delayed response.
The circled relay in the picture is the front wiper delay relay. The one to the left of it is the rear wiper delay relay.
You can't get just the relay from the dealer. They only sell the whole box for a few hundred bucks. Since I never use the rear wiper I just swapped the two positions for now and that fixed the front wipers.
Those relays are almost impossible to find new. The contacts are rated at 20 amps! I was going to try and just get a used alarm box cheap and then I would have at least 2 relays that are good (there are 4 identical relays on the board).
If you find a source for new ones then please let us know. I Googled the number stamped on the relay and got all the specs.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
eearellano
AF Newbie

Re: Hey, 2000Frontera, need help with wiper delay relay ID

Can someone tell me how to access these pictures, I will appreciated very much!
eearellano is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU