Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
cabintahoe
AF Newbie

How much does your fuel tank hold ?????

OK.....I have a 96 and in the manual it says that my fuel tank holds 30 gallons of fuel. Today it was on empty and I filled it up BUT it only took 22.1 gallons. The last thing I want to do is run it out of fuel. Does anyone know for sure how much it should hold or is my fuel gauge WAY off ...

THANKS
cabintahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 10:28 PM   #2
maintainin76
AF Regular

I have a 99 Tahoe and it has a 30 gallon tank. I know on mine, I usually have about a 3 gallon cushion between what the gauge says and how much gas I actually put in. I usually fill it up when I have between half and a quarter of a tank left and every time there is about 3 more gallons of gas than what the gauge says there is. I would consider this normal. I think the guages are usually built to read conservatively to try and help out those people who like to run the tank down to fumes all the time. But for the gauge to be on empty and still have eight gallons left.....? I guess its better that its reading conservsative though. I would rather have one of those than one that said I had more gas than I actually did.
maintainin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 12:16 PM   #3
Kst8er
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Kst8er Send a message via Yahoo to Kst8er
Re: How much does your fuel tank hold ?????

I've ran mine done pretty low before...I ran with the needle on E for about 45+ miles. I then put in around 28 gallons. As previously mentioned, I would prefer a gauge that reads conservatively.
Kst8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:29 PM   #4
dcell59
AF Newbie

Cool

I believe that your 96 Tahoe holds 25 gallons of gas. I bought my 96 Tahoe new, and I was led to believe that it had a 30-gallon tank (I recall seeing it on the sticker, but I would not swear to that). However, I noticed very quickly that it never seemed to take more than about 23 gallons. I once ran out of gas, and it took a total of 24 gallons to fill it up after I put in the gallon from the gas can. Not long after that, I was notified of a class action suit on this very issue. Apparently, lots of people thought that their 96 Tahoes had 30-gallon tanks. The settlement paperwork required that you estimate the cost to you of not having a 30-gallon tank, and I honestly couldn't say it cost me anything, so I just ignored it. I did get in on the settlement, but that was merely a coupon for a discount off a new Tahoe, and I didn't need a new one.
dcell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:56 PM   #5
bartlanz
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to bartlanz Send a message via AIM to bartlanz

I looked in the book for my 98 and it says I have a 26 gal tank, but I know I have run it down to between the two orange markers and it took 24.4 gal.

98 Tahoe LT
K&N Drop in Air Filter
Rancho 5000 Shocks all around
265/75R16 BFGoodrich Allterain T/A KO Tires
WHELEN 9600 Series, 10 Strobe, Light Bar with Smart Messenger
ALPINE CDA-9835 CD/MP3 Player

My Ride
bartlanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:52 AM   #6
sniper4x4
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to sniper4x4

42 gallons & I wouldn't mind adding a second tank to use for reserve while at the lake since going rate at the Marinas is like $3.50 per gallon just for 87. My boat has a 22 gallon tank and it only lasts me about 1.5 hours.

11' Camaro RS
99' GMC Suburban 10" lift
00' Mustang GT Conv.
07' High Jumper Sandrail (For Sale)

My favorite Toy 73 Kona 463 Olds
sniper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K