Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Amigo
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 09:05 PM   #1
Josh_guerrero
AF Newbie

does anyone have any advice for a 90 amigo 2.3

Hi,
I have a 1990 2.3 L Amigo. The clutch was changed a little over a year ago. I have maybe driven it 3000 miles since. I am usually paranoid that it may go out again. When I am rolling to a stop, when I am very nearly stopped, a clicking sound comes from the transmission/clutch area, it isn't overly loud. And otherwise the the motor runs smoothly. What does this clicking sound indicate? What can I do about it? Should I worry about the clutch or just bring it to a mechanic? I'd appreciate any advice, thank you in anticipation!
Josh_guerrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:34 AM   #2
RedFiero
AF Regular

Re: does anyone have any advice for a 90 amigo 2.3

Do you get the noise when stopped?? if not it's not in the clutch/motor. If it clicks and stops when your at a standstill....check the "U" joints also do you get a vibration at 50/60 mph?? That would indicate a bad "U" joint (not a shimmy that would be wheel alignment/balance)
Old 06-07-2004, 11:51 AM   #3
Josh_guerrero
AF Newbie

RedFiero,
Thank You, that sounds like my problem right there. Now, what does changing the U joint entail? And do you have any ideas why the U Joint would have gone bad on me? Would it be a bad idea to make a 400 mile trip without changing the U Joint?, Thank You Very Much!
Old 06-07-2004, 12:20 PM   #4
RedFiero
AF Regular

Josh,
I had mine replaced when I bought the truck. Joints can go bad from age/driving conditions and a variety og other things. As for replacement ....on a scale of 1-10 there a 3. Need to press out the old ones and press new ones back in. If you have a bench vice you can use that. Replace both front and rear and remember to mark the shaft and front yoke to be sure they are put back the same way. Even the rear part need to be marked...i.e. Mark shaft and rear end flange. Easy job and joints are cheap @ auto zone ot advanced auto parts.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:14 PM   #5
Josh_guerrero
AF Newbie

Re: Re: does anyone have any advice for a 90 amigo 2.3

so is it unlikely that the U joint I am running on now will leave me stranded in the desert. Believe me , i do not wanna run the risk, but i have to drive it up to the border to get an extension on my permission to have the truck here in the first place.
by the way, what is bench vice? is it the vice grip with the wide flat head?
Old 06-07-2004, 08:30 PM   #6
RedFiero
AF Regular

No Josh a bench vice is one that mounts on the bench like a pipe vice for when you bend pipes. You can also strike the caps out with a hammer and socket once you take out the clip rings off the outside of the two holes in the axle spline . Really is a very simple job to do. If you can't do it yourself any gas station will do it for you that does repairs. as for being stranded .....I doubt seriously that you'll get stranded . If the "U" joints were that bad you wouldn't be able to drive over 20mph.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Amigo