Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 08:36 PM   #1
onedodd
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to onedodd
Unhappy 1993 Explorer Transmission Problems Please Help

I have '93 Ford Explorer 4WD 2 door. AUTO Tans. When I get in my truck in the morning or whenever it is cold it will not shift through the gears. I can mash the gas and it winds out before it shifts. If I go through the gears manually from 1rst to 2nd to Drive to Overdrive it will work better. After a mile or two when it is hot it shifts just fine. But let it sit overnight and it won't shift properly. It finally blew up and I had it rebuilt. The tranny would go again but the shift problem remained. I took it back and he said it was a defective part and had metal in the pan after only 200 miles and he said he also changed the governor this time, whatever that is. I think it wasn't a defective part and that the no shifting was from no fluid circulating during these shift problems and it was tearing up the newly rebuilt tranny. I picked up the truck and it ran fine but it was 98 degrees outside. One day later the temp was down to 65 and the truck sat all night and I jumped in it thinking it was finally fixed and same thing, "no shifto" until it warmed up. So to recap, transmission rebuilt, governor replaced and when it is cold it will not shift through the gears properly. If I continue to drive it will soon start to hesitate for a second or two when I get on the gas from a stop and give the driver a jerk back went it engages. Thats what happened last time as it continually got worse until it blew fluid all over a Mc D's drive thru line. I pushed her up to the food window to get my Big Mac and it was quite a sight.
Anyway Can somebody please help me. I am at the end. I cant take it to another garage and spend another $1000 or so for a job that was supposed to be fixed. I think this guy may be stumped. What does the heat and warm fluid have to do with it? Could it be electric? Vacuum lines? Anything? If more info is needed please email at onedodd@aol.com THANKS!
onedodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 05:58 AM   #2
mabulok
AF Regular

Either take it back to the place that rebuilt it and make them fix it, at no additional cost. If they won't, sue in small claims. Make sure you have good documentation. You can also take it to the dealer, have them fix it, and then file in small claims to have the other shop pay for the repair.
mabulok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
onedodd
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to onedodd
Re: 1993 Explorer Transmission Problems Please Help

Well I can't take anybody to court. I need my truck fixed now, court doesn't solve that problem. Anyway it is hard to take a friend to court. He owns a very reputable shop and I have been back 3 times at no cost. I just think this problem is something not encountered before. If I was to go to the dealer this guy would gladly give my money back, as he will if he cant fix it. I have posted on ten different boards and not one response so I guess this is a rare problem. Maybe I will just sell it, thats how fed up I am.
onedodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:20 PM   #4
RexNfx400
AF Regular

Re: 1993 Explorer Transmission Problems Please Help

The valves are "hanging" because the tranny is either coming apart or it was not cleaned completely during "rebuild". Its pretty much simple as that. It maybe in need of a new valve body also, since there is alot of metal floating around. If your friend did this for $1000 you should'nt expect much. He already lost by doing it for that. Friend or no friend.
RexNfx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 01:10 PM   #5
slj007
AF Newbie

Question Transmission Problem resolution

Was there ever a resolution to this? From what you describe, my '94 Explorer Sport is starting to do the same thing.
slj007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 01:26 PM   #6
Mendari
AF Enthusiast

Re: Transmission Problem resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by slj007
Was there ever a resolution to this? From what you describe, my '94 Explorer Sport is starting to do the same thing.
First of all, don't drive around like an idiot mashing down the throttle to "get it to work" like onedodd . You have to change the automatic transmission fluid and filter every two years. This will cost around $150. Remember, an old car is no different than an elderly mule. Whipping it harder will only end up killing it.
Mendari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:19 AM   #7
trannyman52
AF Regular

the valve body on that trans does not repair well,,,, best to find a good
used vb or a rebuilt,,sucks when friends help friends and things don't go
right !!!!!!!!!
trannyman52 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac