Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
JimInHixson
AF Newbie

What gas milage do you get ?

I have a 2001 Alero with 4 cyl. I'm getting between 18-22 miles per gallon in the city and 25+ on the highway.

I'm quite curious in the milage everyone else is getting.

Please add the year, and 4 cyl or 6 cyl because I'm sure that makes a difference on the milage.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
JimInHixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
JTrujillo86
AF Enthusiast

Re: What gas milage do you get ?

I get kick ass MPG. I have a 2002 GL1 V6 with just about 33K miles. I get nearly 25 miles in the city and almost 35 on the highway. I drive city usually and I drive somewhat hard, pushing the car to 3K RPM at almost every takeoff.

Jeremy
JTrujillo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:52 PM   #3
PotIsYourFriend
AF Regular

lucky for you guys, I'm starting to wonder if its way overstated. Even when I first had the car and now I get about 260miles completely full and refill when the gas light comes on (I drive nothing but highway miles).. Just in case you want to know you can go approx. 20 miles when the light first comes on....... Its a 2001 v6

Last edited by PotIsYourFriend; 06-02-2004 at 08:13 PM.
PotIsYourFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
MNosbor
AF Newbie

I have a van with the 3.4l v-6 and the 2001 alero with the 4cyl in it (the older 4 not the one they came out with in 2001).

The van with all the seats and crap in the back still gets better mileage than the alero, and it weighs considerably more.

Though my hubby drives the car and didnt notice his tires wearing strange when this is sorted out it may get better milage.

Also I noticed in the van that changing the pc valve every 3 oil change makes it get better gas milage from 24 to 26mi. stop and go morning traffic in cleveland.

I have to say I was very dissapointed with the alero gas milage as if I remember right the ratings listed on the tag were better when we bought it.
So Im guessing the 6 gets better milage than the 4 in the aleros too.
MNosbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
JTrujillo86
AF Enthusiast

MNosbor: Thanks for your message about the PCV valve. I decided to change mine after I heard that. It was a snap to do. I had the hood up, the valve changed, and the hood back down in under a minute. The part was pretty cheap too; only $2.09 at the auto parts store.

Thanks again,
Jeremy
Old 06-03-2004, 11:53 PM   #6
Half Breed
AF Newbie

I would like to just let you know (Pot is your Friend) Thant in any fuel injected car, it is not good to run your tank under 1/4. if you start doing that any dirt in your tank will get sucked up into yoiu engine and... well cause big and expensive problems and repairs. i learned the hard way.
Half Breed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:12 AM   #7
JTrujillo86
AF Enthusiast

I don't mean any disrespect in any manner, but isn't that just an urban legend? That's what I've heard...and after all, doesn't your fuel filter stop any of that crap?

Jeremy
Old 06-05-2004, 06:38 AM   #8
Half Breed
AF Newbie

no disrespect taken, your fue filter does take out most dirt and other contamanents in your gas tank but it does not take all out. tere are small particals that stil can get through the filter that will clog injectors etc.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:42 PM   #9
PotIsYourFriend
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Breed
no disrespect taken, your fue filter does take out most dirt and other contamanents in your gas tank but it does not take all out. tere are small particals that stil can get through the filter that will clog injectors etc.

Oh sh!t, I always wait to refuel when my gas light comes on. And just had my fuel filter change (twice in 100,000 miles) and the guy said it was clogged on one side and that I should never let it go under a 1/4 of a tank also. Now can I myself clean my own injectors. Is the only thing you have to take off is the intake manifold (the thing that says 3400 on it). And are the injectors the black square looking things. And I've already ran a 10 dollar fuel additive to clean injectors.
PotIsYourFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:34 AM   #10
Half Breed
AF Newbie

unless you know those engines and all the electronics on them, i would recommend not trying to do it yourself, it is a pain, and yes there are the black blocks.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:14 PM   #11
DamienZ28
AF Regular

Just rember after you take the top plenum off To keep that wiring harness labeled. It shouldnt get messed up since its layed there for so long. I usually keep mine at the 1/8 tank rule. I hate getting gas!
Old 07-01-2004, 08:06 PM   #12
tofast4u2catch
AF Newbie

The theory for not letting it go under a 1/4 tank is that the gas remaining in the tank actually cools the fuel pump in turn keeping it from meeting an untimely death. I am one of the unfortunates who's Alero has a screwed up gas gauge. I found that it only does it when I cap it off. Don't try to clean you own injectors. One of the problems with both the 4 and 6 cyl. is if they are equipped with Rochester injectors they leak. In most vehicles it goes un-noticed. In mine (which has the 2.4) rough idle is the outcome. Call around, you can have them rebuilt where they will sonic clean and replace parts if needed. I do alot of fuel injection work and send mine off. It costs around 25 bucks a pop. Much less than the 200 bucks each they want for aftermarket injectors. Also, with the 2.4, it has no pcv valve to change. I found a TSB regarding the TPS being faulty. After changing it, I noticed a big improvement in performance and mileage. An intake mod and K&N helped as well. Now I get around 28 city and 36 hwy (at 80 mph or abouts) while running the a/c.
tofast4u2catch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 05:41 PM   #13
JTrujillo86
AF Enthusiast

I just took mine up north to Ft. Collins, Colorado. It was round trip about 150 miles doing about 85 mph and a/c on. I was able to go to 307 miles before I needed gas. The other driving I did on that tank was strictly city. When I finally calculated the MPG, I got on average 27.45 miles per gallon. With a 170 HP V6 engine, I think that's awesome...

BTW mine is all stock (engine wise).

Jeremy
Old 07-10-2004, 01:28 AM   #14
tofast4u2catch
AF Newbie

Sounds good. I'm getting ready to drop a 62mm throttle body and matched intake on it so we'll see which way it goes from there.
tofast4u2catch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 04:58 PM   #15
DamienZ28
AF Regular

let us know how that worked out will ya? Ive been considering a CAI, reprogram and a light flywheel... Id like to know how much your will change it!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero