Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 07:25 AM   #1
salhany
AF Newbie

Service Vehicle Soon light and Air Pump Relay

I just had my '99 Intrigue serviced yesterday to have a Check Engine Light investigated. They told me the Air Pump Relay had gone out and they replaced it. This morning I started the car and all was cool, no Check Engine Light was on, But after I drove 25 miles on the highway to work the light came on again. What is going on here? Is the Air Pump shot? They plugged the car into the diagnostic to get the code that told them the relay was shot (p0410), what else could be going on here?

I am getting an awful screeching noise from the passenger side air duct upon first starting it in the morning, it sounds like the fan in there needs some lubricant. Could that be related to this air pump problem? I'm very frustrated with this light!
Old 05-05-2004, 11:01 AM   #2
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Re: Service Vehicle Soon light and Air Pump Relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by salhany
I just had my '99 Intrigue serviced yesterday to have a Check Engine Light investigated. They told me the Air Pump Relay had gone out and they replaced it. This morning I started the car and all was cool, no Check Engine Light was on, But after I drove 25 miles on the highway to work the light came on again. What is going on here? Is the Air Pump shot? They plugged the car into the diagnostic to get the code that told them the relay was shot (p0410), what else could be going on here?

I am getting an awful screeching noise from the passenger side air duct upon first starting it in the morning, it sounds like the fan in there needs some lubricant. Could that be related to this air pump problem? I'm very frustrated with this light!
There is a GM technical bulletin related to your complaint..it states to replace the relay and the pump if damaged...most likely they didn't replace the pump as needed
Service Engine Lamp Illuminated, DTC P0410 (Replace Air Injection Reaction Pump Relay) #00-06-04-048 - (11/20/2000)
Service Engine Lamp Illuminated with DTC P0410 (Replace Air Injection Reaction (AIR) Pump Relay)
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue

with 3.5L Engine (VIN H - RPO LX5) -- YF5, NG1 or NB1 Emissions

"GM of Canada" and "IPC" Dealers are not authorized to utilize this Service Bulletin.

Condition
Some customers may comment that the Service Engine Soon lamp is Illuminated.

Cause
The Air Injection Reaction (AIR) pump relay may be sticking in the closed position, which may cause air pump damage.

Correction
If DTC P0410 is set and normal diagnostics lead to the replacement of the AIR pump, inspect the AIR relay in the Bussed Electrical Center (BEC). If the P/N is 12193604, replace the relay with P/N 12177236, as well as the AIR pump.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Relay, Air Pump

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
Old 05-05-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
salhany
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info. They did not replace the pump. I will go back there and ask them to do that.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:29 PM   #4
ViCap
AF Newbie

AIR PUMP Problems

I have a 2001 Intrigue that has the identical problem as you. The GM dealership told me my engine light was on because my air pump was shot. $400 later they had replaced both the air pump as well.as the relay.

All was fine for about a week until the same problems reoccurred. The engine light came back on and the air pump started to make those irritating noises on start up. Now that the weather is getting a bit warmer the noises from the pump seems to be reduced but I know there's something wrong. I know I should have brought it back to the shop but I don't have a lot of confidence in them finding the problem.

I look forward to hearing if you encounter the same results after they replace your pump.
Good luck.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:17 AM   #5
salhany
AF Newbie

ViCap, thanks for the info.

They did wind up replacing the air pump and the relay, and at least the engine light is now off. But it sounds like my vent blower within the passenger side vent ducting is going, it makes a horrible screeching noise on startup when cold and the fan rattles all the time now. I had asked the dealership to fix it when I brought the car in for the air pump swap, but they told me they could not duplicate the problem, which is utter nonsense since the noise happens all the time. <SIGH> I will have to take it to a different place to have the fan checked out.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:15 PM   #6
sn01
AF Newbie

hi,my car is 2002 intrigue gls
the same problem,could you please send me the air pump technical bulletin,thank you very much
my e-mail :sn01@sohu.com
yusun018@hotmail.com
Old 07-01-2005, 06:16 PM   #7
sn01
AF Newbie

hi GMMerlin
my car is 2002 intrigue gls
the same problem,could you please send me the air pump technical bulletin,thank you very much
my e-mail :sn01@sohu.com
yusun018@hotmail.com
Old 07-02-2005, 06:40 AM   #8
sn01
AF Newbie

120000km 2002
Old 07-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #9
m75
AF Newbie

Sounds very familiar. I have a 99 3.5 Intrigue with 91k miles. About four months ago the Service Engine Soon light came on. Thanks to this fine forum, I learned about TDC P0410 and what it directed a technician to do to resolve the code.

Like some of you, the replacement of the relay caused the SES lamp to go out,,,, for a short time. I have replaced the relay several times now, and also bit the bullet and replaced the secondary air pump located at the left-front of the engine bay.

I would like to say the problem is corrected,,, but it's not. Since the tech bulletin addressing the P0410 DTC only makes reference to the relay and pump being replaced, does anybody have a further recommendation?

By the way, since replacing those items, the SES lamp will occasionally extinguish itself for a time, then again come back on.

HELP!!

By the way, I have used a scan tool to properly erase the DTC after each repair. One repair facility recommended sending the car to a GM dealer to have the computer memory "flashed". Is anyone familiar with such a process?

Last edited by m75; 07-12-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:21 PM   #10
panzer dragoon
AF Enthusiast

from alldatadiy.com plus there are 3 diagnostic tables that go with it.

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The AIR pump is used on this vehicle to lower fail pipe emissions on start-up. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) grounds the AIR pump relay control circuit, which energizes the AIR pump. The PCM also grounds the AIR solenoid valve control circuit, which energizes the AIR solenoid valve. The AIR solenoid valve opens allowing manifold vacuum to open the AIR control valves. The PCM enables both control circuits when AIR system operation is desired. When the AIR system is active, the AIR pump forces fresh air into the exhaust stream in order to accelerate catalyst operation. The AIR control valves replace the conventional check valves. When the AIR system is inactive, the AIR control valves prevent air flow in either direction. DTC P0412 applies to the AIR solenoid control circuit. DTC P0418 applies to the AIR pump relay control circuit.

DTC P0410 sets if an air flow problem is detected. The PCM will run two tests using the Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) voltage to diagnose the AIR system. Both tests have two parts.

The passive test is performed during regular AIR pump operation. The passive test consists of the following:

Passive Test Part 1
When the AIR system is enabled, the PCM monitors the HO2S voltage. If the HO2S voltage goes below a threshold, the PCM interprets this as an indication that the AIR system is operational.

Passive Test Part 2
When the AIR system is disabled, the PCM monitors the HO2S voltage. The HO2S voltage should increase above a threshold and switch normally.

If both of these tests indicate a pass, no further action is taken. If one of the above tests failed or is inconclusive, the diagnostic will proceed to test two. The active test is performed specifically for diagnostic purposes. Test two consists of the following:

Active Test Part 1
During this test the PCM turns the AIR system on during closed loop operation. When the AIR system is activated, the PCM monitors the HO2S voltage. If the AIR system is operating properly, the HO2S voltage should go below a predetermined threshold.

Active Test Part 2
The PCM turns the AIR system off. The HO2S voltage should return to above a rich threshold.

The PCM will repeat test two up to 4 consecutive times with a short delay between each command.

If the PCM determines that the HO2S voltage did not respond as expected during the tests, DTC P0410 will set.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
  • DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0117, P0118, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0171, P0172, P0300, P0412, P0418, P0442, P0443, P1441 and HO2S DTCs not set.
  • The engine operates for more than 3 seconds .
Test 1
  • The engine speed is more than 400 RPM
  • The engine load is less than 80 percent .
  • The engine air flow is less than 35 g/s .
  • The ignition voltage is more than 11.5 volts .
  • The air fuel ratio is more than 13:1.
  • The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) is less than 40°C (104°F) .
  • The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) is more than 10°C (50°F) .
  • The power enrichment, deceleration fuel cut off, or catalyst over temperature not active.
  • The AIR system is enabled for 50 seconds . On a hot start, the AIR system operation will be delayed for 60 seconds after start-up.
  • Test 1 fails if:
  • HO2S voltage does not go below 300 mV for 25 seconds during pump operation.
  • HO2S voltage does not go above 600 mV during the 15 seconds after the pump is turned off.
Test 2
  • The engine operates for more than 5 minutes .
  • The engine speed is more than 400 RPM .
  • The EVAP purge is active
  • The maximum air flow is 35 g/s .
  • The ECT is more than 10°C (50°F) .
  • The ignition voltage is more than 11.5 volts .
  • The engine load is less than 80 percent .
  • The fuel system is operating in closed loop.
  • Test 2 fails if the HO2S voltage is above 300 mV for 4 seconds during pump operation.
CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
If the HO2S voltage does not behave as expected during either of the tests, a failure is reported.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS
  • The PCM illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The PCM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the PCM stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the PCM records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The PCM writes the conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC
  • The PCM turns the MIL OFF after three consecutive drive trips during which the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A last test tailed, or the current DTC, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A History DTC clears after forty consecutive warm-up cycles, if no other emission related diagnostic failures are reported.
  • Use a scan tool in order to clear the MIL diagnostic trouble code.
  • Interrupting the PCM battery voltage may or may not clear DTCs. This practice is not recommended. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Description, Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes.
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

NOTE:
  • Refer to Connector Test Adapter Kit J 35616-A Notice in Service Precautions.
  • Refer to Continuous Operation of the Air Pump Notice in Service Precautions.
Using Freeze Frame and/or Failure Records data may aid in locating an intermittent condition. If you cannot duplicate the DTC, the information included in the Freeze Frame and/or Failure Records data can aid in determining how many miles since the DTC set. The Fail Counter and Pass Counter can also aid in determining how many ignition cycles the diagnostic reported a pass and/or a fail. Operate the vehicle within the same Freeze Frame conditions, such as RPM, load, vehicle speed, temperature, etc., that you observed This will isolate when the DTC failed.

If the problem is intermittent, refer to Intermittent Conditions. See: Diagnosis By Symptom\Intermittent Conditions

TEST DESCRIPTION
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.
  1. DTC P0412 AIR Solenoid Valve Control Circuit and P0418 AIR Pump Relay Control Circuit should be diagnosed first if either are set.
  1. The AIR pump is not designed to run continuously. If the pump needs to be replaced, check for conditions that may cause continuous pump operation.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #11
dlbintrigue
AF Newbie

I have two 2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue's. Have been researching the air pump issue - no aftermarket parts available. I read the posts regarding the need to replace the relay and the air pump - my air pump is doing the screeching sound at startup (cold) and also switching on repeatedly for a few seconds while driving. One dealer said (without checking the codes) that I would need an air pump ($250) and also a check valve ($200+) - plus labor = about $725.00. Of course, the AutoGuard "edge guard" extended warranty I paid $1,500 for does not cover emission parts. Question 1: Anyone know anything about a check valve related to this problem with a screeching air pump? Question 2: Anyone know where parts might be available other than at dealership inflated prices, other than a junk yard? Thanks - Dan
Old 06-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #12
dtownfb
AF Regular

If this is an emissions item, there is a special warranty that covers this. Check your owner's manual for the terms.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #13
dlbintrigue
AF Newbie

Thanks, however - I purchased this 2002 Intrigue with 26,000 miles but the warranty had expired due to the 36 month limit. It currently has about 45,000 miles on it. That is why I had to buy the extended warranty - AutoGuard was the name - and it does not cover emission parts. I will check the owners manual to see if the original manufactures warranty is still in effect for emission parts, but I doubt it.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #14
dtownfb
AF Regular

Check your owner's manual again regarding the emission warranty. I thought it covered up to 50k miles.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #15
BNaylor
AF Moderator

It is possible it may be covered but you need to check into the rules established by your state. The air pump stuff falls under the California Emissions Control Warranty which is 50K miles or 3 years, whichever comes first established by the California Air Resources Board. The GM RPO code should be NC8.

There is a short term for emissions stated above and a long term which is 7 years or 70K miles according to the 2002 Olds Warranty and Owner Assistance booklet.

The warranty will apply if the following is met:

Your vehicle is registered in California or other states adopting California emissions and warranty regulations.

Is certified for sale in California as indicated on the vehicle's emission control label.

Back in 2002 only MA and VT fell into this category. NY and ME adopted California emissions regulations but not California warranty regulations.

Unless your state adopted both requirements it may not be covered.

Regardless, the CAT convertor and PCM will be covered by GM up to 8 years or 80K miles.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue