Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 12:58 AM   #1
E.Mk
AF Newbie

Question tiburon vs subaru wrx turbo?

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but I need a few opinions.

In the near future, I'm considering on getting a different car(I have an OLD '94 Nissan Sentra) and my friends' subaru WRX(yeah, they're one of those people ).

One of my friends had a turbo charged WRX and I loved it.

Normally, that would be the determining factor... 'cept, the Subaru WRX is expensive, so I'm considering on the Tiburon. I want to get one and perhaps later on, get a turbo mod.

I tried to find some sites on "tiburon vs WRX" so that I can get an comparision as two the advantages and disadvantages of both... but I couldn't find any.

So I want to ask y'all, which Tiburon model do you recommend(2000 and up) and how comparable is it to a Subaru WRX(with turbocharged engine)?

P.S. - I know nothing about cars, I've just started to read up on turbo charged engines so please forgive any errors/mistakes in my posts.
E.Mk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:25 AM   #2
lowsonoma1999
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via AIM to lowsonoma1999
If you care that much about performance and fun to drive, spend the extra money and get the WRX. Right now you can get 1.9% financing for 63 months. The Tiburon is a nice car, very good value, excellent warranty, but the potential in the WRX is so much more.
17665 Terry Lee Crossing
Noblesville, IN 46060
lowsonoma1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:12 AM   #3
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

he summed it up nicely. you could however get a 99 tiburon, make it fast enough to beat the wrx, and do it for about half the cost.

a good place for you to check out would be www.howstuffworks.com. its great. you can learn all about how engines, turbos, everything works.

as they stand stock, the wrx will beat the tiburon in everything except reliability, cost, gas mileage and looks (in my opinion.)
tibby01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:46 PM   #4
nisco
Tib Guy

Send a message via AIM to nisco Send a message via MSN to nisco
Re: tiburon vs subaru wrx turbo?

if youre lookin at an 03... and really wanna surprise people... and got 5,800$ to spare... bust out a twin turbo....
6 spd runnin 11s on staock internals.... STOCK!
how fuckin nuts is that
nisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:53 PM   #5
TibsBeatALL
AF Enthusiast

is dis tru?

all u gotta hav is twin turbo kit?
there has to be something else
TibsBeatALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:40 PM   #6
scottsee
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to scottsee

subaru. their awd, and custom parts are everywhere. i'd find a repo at an auction, 2002 aer going for about 15500 with 30k.
scottsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:08 PM   #7
E.Mk
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby01
he summed it up nicely. you could however get a 99 tiburon, make it fast enough to beat the wrx, and do it for about half the cost.

a good place for you to check out would be www.howstuffworks.com. its great. you can learn all about how engines, turbos, everything works.

as they stand stock, the wrx will beat the tiburon in everything except reliability, cost, gas mileage and looks (in my opinion.)

I keep hearing that the Tiburon has poor handling and isn't a good ride, etc.

Is this true? I mean, if I decide on the Tiburon... it would be my daily ride from home to work.

Whilest I'm on that subject, the Turbo seems to kick in automatically... will this be a problem if I'm driving in the city(where there's a lot of stops and light signals vs open highway road?)

Turbo and other mods sounds like fun, but then again, I DO need a car so I can get to work:P
Old 04-29-2004, 09:34 PM   #8
E.Mk
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby01

I'm new at this. Exactly how much work is needed to bring the Tiburon to match the WRX(a rough estimate will do in terms of money and parts/kits required)?

The Tiburon is REALLY affordable. That I like. And if it can be brought to equal(maybe surpass?) the WRX, that's even better.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:41 PM   #9
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

what year tiburon?

i havent seen many 03+ tibbies that can match wrxs. this is because the i4 model is so damn heavy, and few v6 ones that do have more power than the wrx, dont have AWD, so the wrx gets a big jump of the line.

if you were to do it to a 99 for instance though, figure this...

3000 for a turbo kit
you'll prolly need to go stand alone, so add another 800
LSD...another 800
exhaust, 200
various internals....1000
tibby01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 03:00 AM   #10
nisco
Tib Guy

Send a message via AIM to nisco Send a message via MSN to nisco

tiburon has excellent handling for teh stock suspension..... uhh well if you want to match a stock wrx... youd have to do a decent amount of work...
which will end up being alota money...
but my plan is only 5,800$ for teh twin turbo for the v6... with a 6 spd... itll be in the 11s.... thats what ive been told... im not sure if that rigth outa the box... or if it has other mods...
either way... its still runnin on stock internals....
you control the boost of teh turbo... so you wont have to run high boost all teh time... so it can be daily driver safe....
but if you really want a daily driver friendly car... go with a super charger...
the ripp super charger hit the 13s with alota stock componants... so with major upgrades.. that will be in the 11s as well.... so.... the tiburon has alota shit coming out for it...
aftermarket support is growing...
but if you stop and look at the car youre buying... and see how much it is.. and look at the wrx.... and see how much it is... you get what you pay for...
but if you wanna go price for price... the tib could match and possibly beat a wrx with the right equipment...

i personally am physched about the twin turbo set up... best aplication ive seen as for turbos anyway.....
nisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 07:31 AM   #11
fullup1
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to fullup1
Re: Re: tiburon vs subaru wrx turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Mk
I keep hearing that the Tiburon has poor handling and isn't a good ride, etc.

Is this true? I mean, if I decide on the Tiburon... it would be my daily ride from home to work.

Whilest I'm on that subject, the Turbo seems to kick in automatically... will this be a problem if I'm driving in the city(where there's a lot of stops and light signals vs open highway road?)

Turbo and other mods sounds like fun, but then again, I DO need a car so I can get to work:P
Yes, the turbo "kicks in automatically." It's not like the turbo is off sometimes and on sometimes, it's always spinning, it's just not spinning fast enough to make any usable boost.

On stock WRX's, the turbo doesn't spool (start making usable boost) until about 3000 rpm. After that point, with a bit of throttle, it pulls like a madman. Below 3000 rpm however, it feels like an NA 4 cylinder.

For your use, the boost kicking in at 3000 rpm won't be a problem unless you like to really mash the gas pedal when you accelerate. If you do, then the car will throw you back in your seat at a green light, only for you to slam on the brakes at the next red light (most people don't drive any cars this way).

The point is, if you're pressing the accelerator pedal down a moderate amount, then when the boost comes on around 3000 rpm, you won't notice a huge neck-snapping force, the car will just seem to have more power (which it does when the turbo is providing boost).
fullup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:43 AM   #12
E.Mk
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: tiburon vs subaru wrx turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullup1
Yes, the turbo "kicks in automatically." It's not like the turbo is off sometimes and on sometimes, it's always spinning, it's just not spinning fast enough to make any usable boost.

On stock WRX's, the turbo doesn't spool (start making usable boost) until about 3000 rpm. After that point, with a bit of throttle, it pulls like a madman. Below 3000 rpm however, it feels like an NA 4 cylinder.

For your use, the boost kicking in at 3000 rpm won't be a problem unless you like to really mash the gas pedal when you accelerate. If you do, then the car will throw you back in your seat at a green light, only for you to slam on the brakes at the next red light (most people don't drive any cars this way).

The point is, if you're pressing the accelerator pedal down a moderate amount, then when the boost comes on around 3000 rpm, you won't notice a huge neck-snapping force, the car will just seem to have more power (which it does when the turbo is providing boost).

Will this affect the lifespan of the parts, that is, driving in streets, the frequent stops; will it take a greater toll on a turbo charged engine?
Old 05-01-2004, 03:22 PM   #13
scottsee
AF Enthusiast

turbo dont do anything to the engien, if you run your car hard, with or without a turbo, you'll have problems, the only thing you need to consider with a turbocharged vehical is to let the turbo cool off before you turn it off, let all the oil cirulate through, weather you let it idle for a min or buy a turbo timer. you wont need to worry about that unless you really overwork your turbo. hard pulls over and over and over. dailey driving dosent really require a turbo, unless your driving around spinning the tires for an hour.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:24 PM   #14
scottsee
AF Enthusiast

turbo "timer". unless your diriving around spinning the tires for an hour
Old 05-02-2004, 10:02 AM   #15
E.Mk
AF Newbie

Re: Re: tiburon vs subaru wrx turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsee
turbo dont do anything to the engien, if you run your car hard, with or without a turbo, you'll have problems, the only thing you need to consider with a turbocharged vehical is to let the turbo cool off before you turn it off, let all the oil cirulate through, weather you let it idle for a min or buy a turbo timer. you wont need to worry about that unless you really overwork your turbo. hard pulls over and over and over. dailey driving dosent really require a turbo, unless your driving around spinning the tires for an hour.
I'd like a daily ride(you're right, it doesn't require turbo), but on the weekends, I'd like to the car to be able to cruise down the highway(via turbocharged performance)

Now what do you mean by cool off before you turn it off? Do you mean that with a turbo charged engine, after a drive, I have to let the engine idle before turning off the ignition??

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons