Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 11:28 AM   #1
Suldat
Banned

Best mud/road tire?

I was hoping that sombody had some good info on tires that proform well in mud and on the road, I don't care about any snow traction, sand traction, or rock climbing. All I want is somthing that grips mud and will live a long time on the road. I have heard that thornbirds hold up very well on the road and in the bogs, has anyone here had any experence with them or any other good tire. BTW I am more concerend with tire life than noise or comrort on the road.
Suldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:42 PM   #2
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to goinbig
Re: Best mud/road tire?

Thornbird's are terrible in the mud. The lugs are not spaced out enough, which makes them just like an all-terrain tire. The only good part is the lugs on the sidewall, but that doesn't make them worth buying. If you drive on the road, I would suggest something like the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain. GoodYears version is good, but it is because the compound is soft, which makes them wear down fast on the road.
goinbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 11:07 PM   #3
RiceHaterBoi
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RiceHaterBoi
Re: Re: Best mud/road tire?

Id say SuperSwamper TSL or TSL Thornbird. They come in a bunch of sizes and are great for lifted trucks. Right now I have an S10 ZR2 with 31" All-Terrain TA's They are great for the setup I have now. Once I put my lift on Im changing to SuperSwamper Thornbird 35's

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
RiceHaterBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:24 PM   #4
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

The Thornbird's are pretty much an all-terrain tire. Not sure if you've ever tried them off road, but I have had better luck with all terrain tires then the thornbird. You might want to look into them a little more before you buy them.

The TSL's will not last long on the road at all. If the air pressure, allignment, and everything else is kept perfect (and they are on a light-weight vehicle) then they will last around 20,000 to 25,000 miles at best. However, they can easily last only 5,000 or less miles. Plus, they handle terribly on the road.

If you want a good on-road tire, never buy a Super Swamper!! They are excellent if you plan on driving in the mud most of the time, or have a shit load of money to keep buying more of them.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:01 PM   #5
HDChvyTrk
AF Newbie

I would also stay away from any swampers for road use. They are heavy, hard to balance, wear quickly and unevenly when used on the road and have a tendency to flat spot. I would recommend the BFG mud terrains, I have had them on quite a few vehicles, The KM's, and have been very happy with there performance on and off the trail. They also live quite long if you take time to rotate and watch the air pressure. I have also heard good things about Goodyears MTR but have not owned any.
HDChvyTrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:06 PM   #6
RiceHaterBoi
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RiceHaterBoi
Re: Re: Re: Best mud/road tire?

Yea I like my BFG's I have currently they work pretty well on and offroad. I run @ alot of high speeds which I will probably stop after I lift my truck but my All-Terrain T/A'shave done really good. I can keep up w/ two of my friends pretty well, one in a newer camaro and one in a riced up civic (eww). Trey(camaro) has Firehawks and Talley(Ricer) has Yokohama's i think. and My friend had his saturn slidin through the turns on our road without even tryin, While I didnt even hear my tires squeak AND I was gaining on him through the EXACT same curve. LOL well I have some friends that are really good drivers and we have fun when were bored so yea. Ohh yea My top Speed Limiter kicks in @ 95

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
RiceHaterBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
2001BlackSES
AF Newbie

Can't go wrong with the BFG's for longevity, but the sidewalls are fairly thin and flexible, so if you put on a heavy vehicle expect alot of sidewall flex during turns. The bigger they are, the more this happens also. I had 35's on my 1 ton Ford 4x4 and there were issues, but the tread held up great.
2001BlackSES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:50 PM   #8
JustinTaco97
AF Newbie

Let me tell you from experience, i've had swamper tsl's, bfgoodrich mt's and at's, firestone destinations, and wrangler mtr's even swamper boggers. you want a good pullin tire that rides good and pulls real good in the mud, go for either the swamper tsl radials or bfg MT. firestone has a great tire too. by the way the swamper thornbird is just for looks, i've had those on my tacoma too and they pull ok but not like a true mud tire. definitely go for the bfg's or the firestone destinations.
JustinTaco97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:24 PM   #9
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

Most of my friends use BFG Mud Terrains...they seems pretty happy with them and all they do is road and mud.
Andydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 10:08 PM   #10
bkite2186
AF Newbie

I agree with the general consensus here the bfg mt's are great.... another tire worth looking at is the bridgestone dueler mt.... granted they are not great with longevity but they pull like a mule
bkite2186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 12:42 AM   #11
Z3PR
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suldat
I was hoping that sombody had some good info on tires that proform well in mud and on the road, I don't care about any snow traction, sand traction, or rock climbing. All I want is somthing that grips mud and will live a long time on the road. I have heard that thornbirds hold up very well on the road and in the bogs, has anyone here had any experence with them or any other good tire. BTW I am more concerend with tire life than noise or comrort on the road.
Denman Ground Hawg 2's !!!!!! Best choice. Last longer then any other mud tire, and is one of the best tires money can buy for playin' in the mud.
Z3PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 01:16 PM   #12
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

I don't really like the traction that the Ground Hawgs provide in the mud. They last a long time---that's because their tread compound is very hard, which means less traction.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:37 PM   #13
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

I imagine Ground Hawgs would give you a lot of road noise too right???
Andydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:43 PM   #14
kenny-1907
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to kenny-1907

I may as well throw my vote in here , I say BFG MT KM's i have had these on my truck for a little over 2 years now and probable close to 40000 km's and i say there is probably right around half the tread left. They are great in mud , seem to be lasting fairly well on road as most of those 40000 were on pavement. But i will say they suck in icy conditions, like the guy said where i bought them , they are like a whale on ice

6" Pro Comp lift
305/55/20 BFG A/T KO'S
K&N FIPK GENII
Flo Pro V force muffler & 4" slash cut stainless tips
Color matched front and rear Bowties
3" polished stainless bull bar and Nerf bars
kenny-1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:07 PM   #15
danny350
AF Regular

BFG MT's