Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Stratus
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
eone23
AF Newbie

96 2.4L fuse #8 short

Everytime I attempt to start my stratus the number 8 fuse in the Engine compartment shorts out and blows. I isolated the ASD relay and the starter and the fuse still blows. Any suggestions on where I should go next. The fuse panel marks the #8 fuse as fuel ign. starter. After the fuse blows I have no wiper no idiot lights and no radio. I did a check engine diagnostics and it came back 42 which means it is the ASD relay. I check it and replaced the relay, and isolated the relay still blows the fuse. No visible wire shorts or grounds> Help??
eone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:25 PM   #2
Brent053
AF Newbie

Re: 96 2.4L fuse #8 short

Just curious if you ever found the porblem. This happens to my 98 from time to time
Brent053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:07 PM   #3
eone23
AF Newbie

Yes, There was a short in the solenoid on the starter. After replacing the solenoid I never had a problem again.
eone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
tklancar
AF Newbie

same thing happened to my 96 today. replaced fuse #8 started a few times and it blew. looked at the ignition switch, starter relay in power center, and starter, couldn't see any problems. removed started relay from power center , put in new fuse and turned key about 50 times. No problem. Replaced starter relay, started about 50 times, no problem. So now I am waiting until it happens again. I can't reproduce it at will so have to wait. Anyone else have similar problems?
tklancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:56 AM   #5
dawoodman71
AF Newbie

Question 1997 Dodge Stratus not starting . . .

I'm sorry that this is not answering any questions but instead adding to them but...

my '97 Stratus worked fine one day and the next morning would not start. I have checked all the fuses in the dash box and the box next to the battery and none are blown. I cannot hear the starter solenoid but I can hear the fuel pump.

I read somewhere that the PCM fuse could be causing this but isn't the radio linked to this same fuse? If so, my radio is working.

Any comments or suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
John aka dawoodman
dawoodman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 07:22 PM   #6
tklancar
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 96 2.4L fuse #8 short

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklancar
same thing happened to my 96 today. replaced fuse #8 started a few times and it blew. looked at the ignition switch, starter relay in power center, and starter, couldn't see any problems. removed started relay from power center , put in new fuse and turned key about 50 times. No problem. Replaced starter relay, started about 50 times, no problem. So now I am waiting until it happens again. I can't reproduce it at will so have to wait. Anyone else have similar problems?
Turned out to be the starter. Replaced it with a new one and no problem now for a month.
thanks Tony
Old 01-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
rotnronb
AF Newbie

I have a 96 stratus, # 8 fuse is blown, keeps blowing, should i just replace the starter?
rotnronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #8
tklancar
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotnronb
I have a 96 stratus, # 8 fuse is blown, keeps blowing, should i just replace the starter?
Mine kept blowing the #8 until I replaced the starter. It has been well over a year now and its been fine. So, I would suggest replacing the starter.

good luck.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #9
rotnronb
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklancar
Mine kept blowing the #8 until I replaced the starter. It has been well over a year now and its been fine. So, I would suggest replacing the starter.

good luck.
Thanks, took off the starter,it was showing signs of some rust, sprayed soms penatrating oil to loosen it up, works great now. thanks for the advise.
rotnronb is offline   Reply With Quote