Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 07:58 PM   #1
Bungee
AF Newbie

Heater won't shut off

Does anyone else have this happen, or know how to fix it?

Sometimes, after running the heater for a long period of time, the tempurature control no longer works . . . even tho you may select the coldest temp, the air still blows hot.

It used to be, I could turn off the ignition for a minute, and the tempurature control would work fine. But even that doesn't work anymore.

I have a 2000 Silverado.
Bungee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
okie-chevy-man
Banned

Send a message via MSN to okie-chevy-man Send a message via Yahoo to okie-chevy-man
Re: Heater won't shut off

that exact same thing happened to me once in july 100 degree weather but it hasnt ever since
i also have a 2000
okie-chevy-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:25 AM   #3
amac209
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to amac209

could be the switch or the actuator motor, or a broken/jammed blend door
amac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
ucsbgolf
AF Newbie

WOW I cant believe I finally found someone with the same problem. My heater and AC both work however my temp gauge doesnt really work. Once I turn the dial to red it only blows all hot. In order for me to get AC I have to put the dial on Blue or cold and in about 3 days the AC will work and thats the only thing that works untill I leave it on Red again for about 3 more days, then it blows all heat. Really weird.

I took it in to a chevy dealership and they immediatly diagnosed the problem of I need a new control panel ( heat, air blowing pressure, and where air comes out of ) the 3 dials, but when they put a new one in it did not fix the problem. They said they were going to have to call in to somewhere and run electrical test for a nice pretty penny. I said no thanks because they still had no idea what to do.

I have a full size 2000 silverado.
ucsbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:10 PM   #5
amac209
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to amac209

well that narrowed it down a little bit i'd but my money on the blend motor but i don't have any cause i'm a broke student. another thing you should be aware of on your truck, it has a cabin air filter these are a good idea however they get clogged with all kinds of junk slowing airflow and sometimes smelling like mold..check for any broken/melted wires around the hvac system..
amac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 05:21 PM   #6
Nardog
AF Newbie

My 2003 Silverado Z71 did the same thing to me on the way home from work a couple of weeks ago. I drove straight to the dealer and complained because the truck was only 6 months old.
I was told to drive it back to the service department and they would take a look at it (No cost, under warranty) but the smart ass sarcastic service reps said I would have to make an appointment and leave it there for the day. I was annoyed that I would have to schedule time off from work to have my NEW truck repaired.
When I left the dealers lot, it was working again and I haven't had a problem since.
The next day, I was playing around with the temperature control, moving it back and forth from hot to cold and I could hear the air damper door making a scraping sound as it was switching from hot to cold, so it sounds like my problem may have been a stuck diverter (mixer door, damper or whatever you want to call it)
Nardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:49 AM   #7
Roy H.
AF Newbie

Heater won't shut off

Had the same problem just now. 2003 with 9K miles. Dealer fixed it. Tech said, "Valve assembly came away from firewall. Had to take dash apart and fix valve. Also changed a sensor." Works fine now. Fortunately, it was doing it when I took it to the dealer!
Roy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 09:53 PM   #8
brave4it
AF Newbie

Angry My Heater is Busted also

I also have a chevy silverado 2002 and my hot and cold switch is getting a little picky with me these past couple of days. I get cold air all day long especially now that it's a little cooler here in Texas. But when I flip it to a warmer setting it just stays cold and blows cold on me. And the next day it might let me get cold and hot air and let me flip from cold to hot while driving. But other days I put it on hot air and try to switch it back to hot and it stays hot as can be and I mean hot! So this is very annoying. I hope the dealer will fix it for no charge. They had asked me when I took it in for a check up before this ever happened and asked if it was giving me problems. But it never had given me problems. But I wish I knew what was going on.

~Brave4it
brave4it is offline   Reply With Quote