Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 10:08 AM   #1
bbassler
AF Newbie

2000 Rodeo 4WD LS transmission leak

Just started to notice a leak that appears after I park. Leaves a few drips and stops. Drive shaft is covered with fluid though so I know its getting bad.

I've not been able to find any plugs other than the one in the bottom of the pan. The leak itself is coming from a circular object which is inserted into the side of the transmission about midway back on the right side. The object (is this a plug?) is about 1.5" in diameter and is held in place by an internal C ring. Looks like it has a bad O-ring or something.

Any advice on what this is and how to fix? Also, is this in fact the filler plug, if not where are they. I've seen several areas that might correspoind to where the manual says they shoud be, but they are all blanks.

Any help is much appreciated,

Brian
bbassler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 11:41 AM   #2
bbassler
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Rodeo 4WD LS transmission leak

BTW - I put a pic here:

http://www.cad-concepts.net/4L30E_.jpg

with a circle over the area I'm referring to. Thanks again.

Brian
Old 02-02-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

I couldn't see your pic, but I'm pretty sure you are describing the accumulator piston cover/gasket. This is a common issue with IIRC- 1996-2000 4L30E's. Isuzu put out a TSB in regards to this & it will be a freebie fix for you. Most dealers are good at fixing this.
G/luck
Joel
rodeo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:10 PM   #4
bbassler
AF Newbie

Sorry about that, try this one.:

http://www.bassler.us/4l30e.jpg

I called the nearest dealership and gave them my VIN. They said there were no recalls or anything pertaining to this vehicle on record. Perhaps there was some deadline that has passed.

At any rate, all I'm looking to do is replace this thing (and figure how to fill). From what I can gather, the O-rings are bonded to the cover and they are replaced as a single item. What kind of pressure is behind that cover? Is it something I can remove without special tools? I can do the ring but what does it take to depress that spring?

Thanks for your reply,

Brian
Old 02-02-2004, 05:10 PM   #5
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Are you the first owner of your truck? If so I would think the part you need is covered under warranty.

-Ryan

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:43 PM   #6
bbassler
AF Newbie

Nope, 2nd owner. I think there was a 1 year warrenty on the drive-train, that was in late 2001 so I don't think I fall under any warranties. Dealership says Yes to service Bulletin's, No to recalls, so no free replacments. Again, I don't imagine it to be such a hard job to replace a cover, just like to know what I'm getting into before I do it.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
Davejb
AF Regular

My wife is the second owner of a 2000 Rodeo LS 4x4, the drivetrain warranty for subsiquent owners is 5 years 50k miles, and your problem is drivetrain, unless your over 50k it should be covered, beat up the dealer on this, we just had a front axle replaced under this warranty.
Any TSB's are usually only valid while the vehicle is under it's bumper to bumper warranty, the dealer is not obligated to perform a TSB after this warranty, it's not the same as a recall, which must be done regardless of warranty status.
Davejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:08 PM   #8
bbassler
AF Newbie

I'm at 80,600. Made several dozen trips back forth from southern VA to Rhode island last year. Truck is in good shape just lots of miles. Pretty sure no warranty in effect anymore.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:25 PM   #9
2eyefishclaw
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2eyefishclaw Send a message via Yahoo to 2eyefishclaw

if you try it yourself get ready for a whole bunch of cussing it will not be easy
before trying to remove the snap ring you need to push the acuumulator cover in then remove the cover dont fight trying to pull the cover out start the vehicle fluid pressure will push the cover out just have some one watching to see where the spring goes to install the new one I use a large socket and pry bar to push it in be sure the cover goes past the groove wheree the snap ring fits and when you put the snap ring back be sure it is in because if its not it will come back out
2eyefishclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:56 PM   #10
bbassler
AF Newbie

Thanks 2eyefishclaw. I've pressed a few bearings and balljoints before so I kinda figured I knew what I was getting into. I just wanted to know what to expect. Most importantly, I want to know that I can push the thing back in once I get it out as I have no idea how strong that spring is. Also, are the O-rings bonded to the cover or not? Thanks again for your help.

Brian
Old 02-02-2004, 09:30 PM   #11
surferfletch
AF Enthusiast

There are 2 nuts on the bottom of the tranny pan. The lower one is the drain. The one at the back of the pan in a recess is the filler. You need a hand pump or something similar to fill it to overflowing, then top it off with the engine running. Make sure you shift through the gears a couple of times when topping off.
surferfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 06:25 PM   #12
rheteric
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to rheteric

I got a puff of smoke on my way home from work and have just diagnosed this problem, I need some more info ASAP:
1. Is this essentially a DIY job or does it need to be taken to the dealer?
2. What replacement parts are necessary to fix it or can I just reset the existing cover and snap ring?
3. Although I'm leaning towards the "no" answer, is this at all driveable before getting it fixed?
4. What tools do I need?

This really sucks b/c I'm the second owner, and I've just passed the 50K mark. And on top of all that I'm a victim of the national warranty collapse, so my extended warranty went up in smoke a few months ago.
Thanks!

Last edited by rheteric; 05-25-2004 at 10:06 PM.
rheteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:59 AM   #13
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

I think the second owners warranty is 5yr/60k.

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:18 AM   #14
rheteric
AF Regular

Re: Re: 2000 Rodeo 4WD LS transmission leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigo-2k
I think the second owners warranty is 5yr/60k.
I guess I'll find out.... I dropped the car off at the stealership this morning. Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 05-26-2004, 08:37 PM   #15
rheteric
AF Regular

WOW!!!! They were really going to take me to the cleaners for this!!! I got a callback this evening and the estimate they quoted me was $540!!! Allegedly, they couldn't get just the cover and new ring without ordering the whole servo/piston package, the parts just didn't come separately. So they wanted the go-ahead to replace the whole unit!

SHENANEGANS!!!! I called St. Charles and spoke to Merlin (the man!). I simply asked him what parts were neccessary to fix the leaking accumulator piston cover.... $10 worth of parts!!! I went ahead and ordered the stuff (it was the least I could do) and took my case to the service dept at Isuzu. In so many words I told them there's no 'right or wrong' to their repair recommendation, but let's call a spade a spade; I did not need a new $540 servo! I said this is the way I want you to repair it (per [St. Charles'] standard procedure), and they were more than happy to oblige. Damn straight!

Buyer beware!!!! Being an informed consumer saved me some $400, and I would have been a sucker if not for this community. It kills me how they insisted there was no other (cheaper) way to fix it.... well they were in for a suprise; momma didn't raise no fool! I'm sure labor ($90/hr) could be found cheaper elsewhere too, but at this point I was content to set an example. Besides, this dealership is right around the corner from me and it'd be a shame if I ever did need something serious, I'd have to go miles to find the next closest one. In short, thanks for everyone's concern.

These are the part #s in case anyone else needs 'em:
Snap ring: 8-96015-714-0
Cover: 8-96017-093-0

BTW: Although they admitted it looked like it could've been leaking for an indeterminate amount of time, there was no chance at letting it slide under any warranty coverage. I dunno how far out it was but I'm at 52K miles and the (original) in-serve date was Dec 2000. Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to warranty coverage for non-original owners.

Cheers!