Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 07:07 PM   #1
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

How-to: Make a 1:24 snowboard.

Well, there seemed to be some furvor over my snowboards, and I was asked repeatedly to post a how-to. It's not real hard, but I decided to go ahead and post this. You can easily modify this for a lot of stuff, skateboards, skis, simples stuff. Plus, for anyone who hasn't tried scratchbuilding, this is a real simple step-by-step that may give you some courage. Scratchbuilding isn't hard as long as you break it down into steps. Then, each small task is managable, and you only have to perfect one small step at a time.

First thing I did was do a Google search for pictures of snowboards, so I could trace one off my screen onto a peice of paper. I also found out how long the boards are, so I could figure out what scale the picture I traced was, and then scale it down. I chose to make my board 5'6" long, which is a long board, you might make yours smaller. The tips are 15" in diameter, and the middle gets down to 11" wide. That's rather narrow for the middle, but I like the way it looks. It looks more accurate than accurate looks, if you know what I mean.

There you can see the scale (ruler) I used to draw out the 1:24 snowboard (the small one on the left). If you have an architect's scale, use the 1/2 scale to draw at 1:24. (1/2"=1' at that scale, which becomes 1"=24". See?)

I put a peice of scotch tape over the snowboard, it barely fit! I traced the board's shape onto the tape to transfer it to the plastic sheet. Remember to double one edge to make it easier to remove from the paper. This will only work a couple times before the tape tears the paper you drew on.

Apply the tape with the pattern to the plastic, and cut the board shape out. The long, sweeping curves on the sides were easy to cut straight out, but the tips were not. I cut around them, slicing through the plastic until it was roughly the right size and shape, and sanded it down with my sanding block. When done, I peeled off the tape template.

To make the tips curve up, I placed a pencil over the tip, right along where the tip just starts change the direction of the curvature. I then lifted the long end of the board and bent the tip. I repeated this until I was pleased with the curvature. The curve might slowly flatten after a while, just rebend it and eventually it will stay.

Search the decals in your spares box to find interesting designs. Snowboards are a lot like skateboards, very colorful and with crazy designs. I have seen many snowboards with snowboard-product bumper stickers, so I found some stickers off an old NASCAR decal set to use. I used ones that weren't obviously car related, and sounded funny or maybe applicable to boards. Aeroquip, Moog, Stant on the Red Line board (from the Red Line Oil NASCAR decal) for example. I got the eyeball out of a Revell RatRod kit. After some thought, I figured aircraft nose art could be really cool for this application.

The bindings aren't that hard, actually, I made them with thin plastic. There are six parts, the foot, the ankle and the two sides. Check the picture. The foot is 3/16" wide, and 3/8" long, sanded to a curved toe. The ankle support is 1/4" wide and 3/8" long. The sides are cut to fit. Fold them up, glue them, and you've got it. The other two parts are the straps, which I made from thin styrene strip. To make that task easier, bend the strip before gluing it. Make sure the glue is set before doing the other side. Paint the bindings using what you might find in a Google search as reference. They seem to usually be dark colors, with a lighter contrasting color for the padding inside (or whatever it is) and then silver on the buckles. Once painted, glue them to the board. They are about 20" (scale) apart, or the outside edges will be just under an inch apart. The leading foot should be angled a few degrees. Leading with the right foot is goofy-foot, in case you don't know (I didn't) so place the bindings as you wish. I did one of each since I had two.

You're done. Get a roof rack and put them on top of a car. Or, if you have a big back seat, throw them in the back. My bindings aren't the best, I'm sure someone else could make them better, but this is a pretty simple way to make a snowboard. It looks rather convincing, too, if I may say so myself.

Thanks for looking.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.

Last edited by willimo; 01-23-2004 at 09:16 PM.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to willimo For This Useful Post:
tonioseven (03-13-2012)
Old 01-23-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
sweetwhiteCAV
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to sweetwhiteCAV Send a message via Yahoo to sweetwhiteCAV
Re: How-to: Make a 1:24 snowboard.

wow, very cool idea. im gonna have to try it....
sweetwhiteCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Zcaithaca
fershizzle

Send a message via AIM to Zcaithaca

awesome tutorial...pretty realistic too!!
Old 01-23-2004, 10:00 PM   #4
Oddpac87
AF Newbie

awesome

They look great, you should do a roof-rack tutorial too.
Oddpac87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:44 PM   #5
TireGaint
AF Enthusiast

Thanks.
TireGaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
pettercardoso
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to pettercardoso

Great how-to!
Hey Jay! is this in the how-to section already?
Old 01-24-2004, 04:07 PM   #7
chrismcgee
WWW.ELITESCALECARS.CO.UK

very cool! i like them a lot!
i was going to try and make a mini surf board but just cant seem to get the energy to try and shape it so i can put it into my coverted Scooby doo van!

but i now think that i may convert it into a ski van filled with snowboards. cheers for the how to!

WWW.ELITESCALECARS.CO.UK
chrismcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 04:25 PM   #8
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Re: Re: How-to: Make a 1:24 snowboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettercardoso
Great how-to!
Hey Jay! is this in the how-to section already?
ummm... yes... turns out it was...

Thanks for the write up, Will!
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:56 PM   #9
RyanGiorgio
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RyanGiorgio Send a message via MSN to RyanGiorgio
Genius!

05' Civic Si - Tokico D-Specs/Progress Springs/Progress Rear Sway/CorSport Endlinks/Ingalls Torque Dampner/Energy Suspension Motor Mounts/Falken Ziex/HFP Spoiler/RSX Rims
RyanGiorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:54 AM   #10
Ran
AF Fanatic

Good tutorial!

Please read the AF guidelines
if you haven't read them before.
Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:03 AM   #11
tardster
AF Enthusiast

Nice.....

tardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
intuned
AF Regular

any ways i can see the pictures since the thread is very old?

i want to build one but i have no reference pics of a scaled one

intuned is offline   Reply With Quote