Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:31 AM   #1
pm77
AF Newbie

Unhappy Check Trans and Engine light (code P1870)

Hello,

I have 1997 Isuzu Rodeo (automatic, 4wd) and Check Engine and Check Trans. light is showing up. Trans. Light is flashing. Not sure what is wrong. Trans. gears seems to be switching fine.

I took it to the mechanic and after inspecting he is getting code P1870 (component slippage). Is this something to worry about. I am planning to keep the truck for a while. Also how much the replacement cost?

Thanks a lot.
pm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:26 AM   #2
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Re: Check Trans and Engine light (code P1870)

Normally if the CEL and tranny light are on it means it has electrical problems. Either a battery on its last leg or more commonly the altenator is on its way out.
-Ryan
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:22 AM   #3
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

I would have a tranny shop familiar with the 4L30E pull the pan and check the tranny out ASAP. I'm not sure how the TCM determines the slippage, but it's ususally not a good sign with the 4L30E. Could be a weak solenoid, band, or maybe accumulator spring? Hopefully you can catch it in time & resolve the issue. These trannys dont hold up well at all if they are not maintained. ATF changes every 25Kmi, or sooner if you want to keep it forever. G/luck
Joel
rodeo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:27 PM   #4
johnsm
AF Regular

Re: Re: Check Trans and Engine light (code P1870)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigo-2k
Normally if the CEL and tranny light are on it means it has electrical problems. Either a battery on its last leg or more commonly the altenator is on its way out.
-Ryan
I have the same problem with a 2000 rodeo ls. I have had it looked at by the Isuzu dealer and both times they got it wrong. I have had the battery checked and it is fine. Im thinking of buying an alternator and having it installed whether good or bad. I don't want to pay for a four year old alternator to be removed and tested, then re installed, only to fail later. Might as well just change it, would be cheaper in the long run.
Heres my question. Would a loose serpentine belt cause the alternator to under generate power and under supply the transmission with adequate signal strenth? Also, if the alternator was under producing current wouldn't you notice it on any other instruments or the radio?

John
johnsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:35 PM   #5
johnsm
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo02
I would have a tranny shop familiar with the 4L30E pull the pan and check the tranny out ASAP. I'm not sure how the TCM determines the slippage, but it's ususally not a good sign with the 4L30E. Could be a weak solenoid, band, or maybe accumulator spring? Hopefully you can catch it in time & resolve the issue. These trannys dont hold up well at all if they are not maintained. ATF changes every 25Kmi, or sooner if you want to keep it forever. G/luck
Joel
With the P01870 code the tranny does not go into back up mode. If the soleniod was wonky, would not the tranny go into back up mode. My only experience with this is reading other peoples postings.
My Rodeo has no physical indications of a transmission slippage. Everything changes gears fine. I have traveled 150 k non stop with the check tranny (P01870) light on. it wasn't on purpose.

John
Old 01-20-2004, 09:02 PM   #6
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

John- if your charging system is putting out 14V with the truck running, you do not have a charging system issue (battery or alternator). If your serpentine belt was slipping, you would also loose your power streering, a/c and cooling system fan / everything that runs off that single belt.
Joel
rodeo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 04:02 PM   #7
pm77
AF Newbie

Quote:
John- if your charging system is putting out 14V with the truck running, you do not have a charging system issue (battery or alternator). If your serpentine belt was slipping, you would also loose your power streering, a/c and cooling system fan / everything that runs off that single belt.
Joel

I took the truck to the dealer and he suggested to replace the transmission. Also gave me a huge estimate. Then I took the truck to another mechanic and he is driving since yesterday and didn't notice any problem with the trans. He is suggesting not to change the trans. and just drive until it gives any shifting problem. Currently according to the mechanice the check engine and trans light is also not showing up.

Puneet
Old 01-22-2004, 06:47 PM   #8
johnsm
AF Regular

Quote:
Joel
I checked my battery at work with a digital voltmeter. It registered 14.32. I drove home which took me 30 mins, and the voltmeter registered 13.7 while running. Is this dip the norm?

The reason I was thinking the serpentine belt was at fault is because I had the belt changed a couple of months ago. I had them order the belt, they said it would be ready in four days. Four days later I went to get the belt changed and they said they did not have it but they had one that was close. When they stretched my old belt and the new belt. The new belt was about a half inch longer. The said the tension pulley would take up the slack. It suddenly dawned on me after reading this thread that my old belt may have already been worn and stretched and comparing the sizes between old stretched belt and new would be inaccurate. Maybe there is not enough tension in the belt to prevent a random slippage.

After the belt was changed the P01870 came on, but not immediately it takes a couple of days or 100 to 200 Kms before the light comes on after the codes are cleared. I'm thinking the lack of tension is not enough to affect the cooling system or other systems, but is enough to have the alternator under produce after a 100 kms.

I am also finding the dealer inept and\or devious (I have already caught them lying twice). I find that the best way to figure this problem
out is discussing this hear before I spend to have the tranny opened up. I appreciate your knowledge and help.

John
Old 01-31-2004, 10:28 PM   #9
johnsm
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm77
I took the truck to the dealer and he suggested to replace the transmission. Also gave me a huge estimate. Then I took the truck to another mechanic and he is driving since yesterday and didn't notice any problem with the trans. He is suggesting not to change the trans. and just drive until it gives any shifting problem. Currently according to the mechanice the check engine and trans light is also not showing up.

Puneet
I was just wondering how your tranny was holding out. I talked to a tranny guy and he said the 4l30e does not trip the check tranny light until it detects three consecutive faults. Meaning on your first and second trip the computer will chalk up the error to a possible missread. On the third consecutive trip the check tranny light will go off. So you can drive a hundred or two miles before your light comes on. Same goes for the check tranny light shutting itself off. I was quoted $5000 Canadian for a replacement tranny(before labor). If I double that I can buy myself a pretty decent used car. . the tranny guy said the P01870 was the "Mystery code" they have a list of ten possible faults that cause that code. The guy said a lot of times its just better to replace the tranny. He quoted me 1500 to 2500 to take down the tranny and find the fault. Life sucks what are you gonna do.

John

Let me know how your making out with P01870
Old 02-05-2004, 10:37 AM   #10
pm77
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Check Trans and Engine light (code P1870)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsm
I was just wondering how your tranny was holding out. I talked to a tranny guy and he said the 4l30e does not trip the check tranny light until it detects three consecutive faults. Meaning on your first and second trip the computer will chalk up the error to a possible missread. On the third consecutive trip the check tranny light will go off. So you can drive a hundred or two miles before your light comes on. Same goes for the check tranny light shutting itself off. I was quoted $5000 Canadian for a replacement tranny(before labor). If I double that I can buy myself a pretty decent used car. . the tranny guy said the P01870 was the "Mystery code" they have a list of ten possible faults that cause that code. The guy said a lot of times its just better to replace the tranny. He quoted me 1500 to 2500 to take down the tranny and find the fault. Life sucks what are you gonna do.

John

Let me know how your making out with P01870
Hi John,

Sorry for not replying earlier. Last week I took my truck to the local mechanic and there the light disappeared. He kept the truck for 2-3of days and didn’t see the light. He drove the truck and didn’t feel any slippage etc. He said he can put tranny for 1200 USD. But he suggested not to change tranny now since truck is running fine and there is no slippage problem. He said if the light show again, I should ignore it until I feel any slippage. Currently gears are shifting smoothly.

Anyway this morning light came back. I don’t feel any performance problem so I am planning to drive for a while without getting transmission change. Will see how it goes.

Thanks,
Puneet
Old 02-05-2004, 08:18 PM   #11
2eyefishclaw
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2eyefishclaw Send a message via Yahoo to 2eyefishclaw

just reading this post dont change the tranny
first thing to do replace the filter then get the thing flushed. next disconnect both battery terminals touche the two together for 15 seconds reconnect both of them problem should be gone
if it does come back all you need to replace is the torque convertor
2eyefishclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:30 PM   #12
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2eyefishclaw
next disconnect both battery terminals touche the two together for 15 seconds reconnect both of them problem should be gone

Really? Does this trick help to clear the tranny codes?

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:09 AM   #13
johnsm
AF Regular

I would assume that touching the two battery cables together would deplete the charge of any smaller batteries that were used for electronic memory storage, thus having the pcm to go to default settings. My question is what happens if you hold the cables together for longer than 15 seconds, could this cause permanent damage.

I check the Haynes manual for anything on torque converters and found next to nothing, does anyone know of any good internet resources on Isuzu torque converters.

thanks for the info 2eyefishclaw

John
Old 02-07-2004, 12:03 PM   #14
pm77
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2eyefishclaw
just reading this post dont change the tranny
first thing to do replace the filter then get the thing flushed. next disconnect both battery terminals touche the two together for 15 seconds reconnect both of them problem should be gone
if it does come back all you need to replace is the torque convertor
I got filter and fluid chaged. I remember the mechanic told me to disconnect the battery an reconnect it. I haven't tried it yet. Will try soon. He told me the light will disappear. It may come back again. Why do we need to touch both terminals together. Also where can i find info on torque convertor.
Thanks,
Puneet
Old 02-07-2004, 12:04 PM   #15
2eyefishclaw
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2eyefishclaw Send a message via Yahoo to 2eyefishclaw

no harm will come to the PCM you could leave them together fo a year and you will not damage the PCM all your doing is discharging all electronic components it is not a quick fix for anything but a real good way to clear your dtc after you get the tranny flushed and it will also reset the PCM it may run funky for a while because all it goes through a learning process about 1,000 to 1,500 miles
2eyefishclaw is offline   Reply With Quote