Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 04:02 AM   #1
ghvc
AF Newbie

97 Monte Carlo won't start, fuel or spark ?

My son has a 97 monte carlo 3.1 L engine with 96K miles. It will crank but won't start. It stopped running while driving and has not started since.

Tried a little starter spray in the intake still no fire.

My next thought is to slave in a spark plug and see if there is any spark. Any other suggestions for basic diagnostics?

Is this a timing belt symptom, or ignition module, fuel pump or other thoughts to get started looking at this ?
ghvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 02:14 PM   #2
jacinc2
AF Newbie

Smile Monte Carlo

Hey. It sound like one of three things.

1.. It could be a computer sensor that is not registering correctly: Solution would be to put it on a computer while trying to start it and getting the best from that. Try GoodYear.. its only like $80 USD to put on a computer.

2.. It could be a timing problem which indicates that you would have to run it on a computer, if Im not mistaken your car is all computerized so you would have to read the computer readings and make sure they are set to the correct timing.

3.. You have a malfuntioning computer. If this is the case, forget about options 1 and 2. If you are having this problem. I have a 1999 Monte Carlo that has a good engine with only 68K Miles on it that you can use. I have for sale at $1900 USD in the Orlando Classifieds but I could work out a deal with you .. its only good for parts because only some of the body is good.. I will assure you though that the Engine and Tranny are in great condition. Let me know if I helped any, if not well I still wish you the very best.

Good Luck,

John. Phone: 352-454-1659 (anytime)
jacinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 02:18 PM   #3
jacinc2
AF Newbie

Cool By the Way.

Almost forgot.

If it was a fuel filter problem you most likely would have had the car putt-putt before giving out. So that thought did not cross me.

Fuel pump... Maybe.. U can know this by just listening to see if it is turning on when you first open the ignition switch.

Good Luck.

John 352-454-1659 (anytime)
Old 01-08-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
CustoJoe
AF Newbie

Re: 97 Monte Carlo won't start, fuel or spark ?

If you have no fuel or spark, check the ignition system first. But verify if you have spark before proceeding. The 3100 has two crankshaft position sensors. One behind the crank pulley, and the second inserted into the rear of the block on the back of the engine. If either if these have failed, the engine will not start. The PCM uses these to determine piston position and RPM. Without it, it cannot fire or fuel the engine. If those are both functioning, but the igniton module has failed, you will have the same result. The pulses that the crank postion sensors generate are processed by the ignition module and provided to the PCM. Unless you have a Scan Tool, this will be hard for you to diagnose. Generally, the dealer or mechanic will connect a Scan Tool and verify RPM while cranking. If there is no RPM, then it's time to check the CPS's and the module. Easiest test is if you have a Scan Tool is to back probe the connector to the module, and this will generate a reference pulse and will show as RPM on the tool. This way you know the wiring is not at fault. I'd lean toward either a CPS, or the module if you end up having neither spark nor fuel.

The 3100 does not have a timing belt, it is chain driven, and is not commonly broken on this engine. A common failure on the 3100/3400 is a broken cam because the intake manifold gasket fails and collant leaks into the lifter valley, wipes the oil out of the cam bearing journals and causes one end of it to seize. Since it's a hollow cam, the torque of the one end turning, and the other end siezed causes it to snap.
CustoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
ghvc
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 97 Monte Carlo won't start, fuel or spark ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustoJoe
If you have no fuel or spark, check the ignition system first. But verify if you have spark before proceeding.
It has warmed up a little and will do a quick check. Will slave in a spark plug and see if I get spark. I don't have a timing light or am I a mechanic but can change normal items like starters, alternators, change oil and diagnose "simple: electrical problems. How much roughly is an ignition module for this car and where is it located. If it is cheap enought I might buy one and slave it in? With electronic ignition is there still a coil that can fail.

Thanks in advance. Great to have a resource of skilled people here.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:06 PM   #6
ghvc
AF Newbie

Well I got it too a mechanic, they finally got it started while cranking to check compression. The oil pressure is too low. Don't know it if it the oil pump or engine damage not letting pressure get up. At any rate it is too expensive to investigate further 5 hr just to get to the oil pump then that might not even be the issue.

This one is ready for the bone yard.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:52 AM   #7
jacinc2
AF Newbie

Re: 97 Monte Carlo won't start, fuel or spark ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghvc
Well I got it too a mechanic, they finally got it started while cranking to check compression. The oil pressure is too low. Don't know it if it the oil pump or engine damage not letting pressure get up. At any rate it is too expensive to investigate further 5 hr just to get to the oil pump then that might not even be the issue.

This one is ready for the bone yard.
Don't get your hopes down. I said before that you could be saving a lot of money in the long run. Monte Carlo from 1995 to 1999 share the same mounting structure for v6 engines. Some with just minor adjustments and if you get the a whole car.. you R in luck cuz you don't even have to worry about that one.

I have just the thing for you .. if your car body is in good condition then help yourself.

I have a 1999 Monte Carlo.. I can take all the picture you want.. Engine has only 68k miles in it. Everything runs. I am selling it for parts as a whole... If you are interested and want more detail.. just call me:
Johnny @ 352-454-1659

Good luck.. anyway if you are not interested...and thank you.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:24 PM   #8
jacinc2
AF Newbie

So what did you do with the car?

I was wondering if you did anything on your son's car yet.

If you where planning on canning it let me know.

Its easier for me to use a body for mine then to sell the parts for what I see.

Just email me at john@npdlink.com

Visit our Web site at: NationalPartsDepot.com

later,

John.