Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 08:28 PM   #1
Dehner Motorsports
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Dehner Motorsports
Fan switch control problem.

The fan switch on the dash is all screwed up. Settings 1,2, and 3 don't work, but when you switch it to 4, it works just fine. Anyone got any suggestions?
Dehner Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 04:48 PM   #2
TigerShark
AF Newbie

Re: Fan switch control problem.

Needs to replace the ballast resistor
TigerShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:02 PM   #3
Dehner Motorsports
AF Newbie

I am a stock car racer, what exactly is a ballast resistor, and where is it?

Mastersbilt Chassis
Chevrolet 406 BMF Racing Engine
World Heads
D.U.I. Distributor
C&S Specialties 890 Aersol Billet Carburetor
Old 01-14-2004, 10:30 AM   #4
TigerShark
AF Newbie

A ballast resistor is the guy who is responsible to reduce the electrical power that goes to the fan.
It may go directly (speed 4) or pass through the resistor (speeds 1-3).
The more resistance you have the less power you get.
I had the same problem long ago, but actually I did not replace it myself
- so I have no idea where this guy lives
It's not gonna be difficult to replace it, because that took not longer than 15 minutes (I had a warranty)

Good luck
TigerShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 11:26 PM   #5
Oldengineer
AF Regular

Angry Fan Switch Problem

The fan switch on my 2001 Sebring 4 door has died twice. Same problem you have - lower 3 speeds stop working. Dealer replaced resistors once under warranty. The second replacement cost me $60 at dealer. Apparently this resistor assembly is mounted on the back of the fan switch .

Regards:
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:29 PM   #6
Angella
AF Regular

NO!!! don't pay a dealer, this one is soo easy, and you'll feel good for doing it yourself : ) Course, you might be on your head too much for your liking... your call : )

This is such a common problem, and best of all, the replacement part isn't any better than the original (so it'll break again in a few years : )

I believe it is up under the dash in all of these cars... mine is an 01 sebring lxi vert. I called the dealship (I love this place) told them my problem - the guy told me what it was and how to get to it...

If you have a similar model, yours will be in the same place... part was $12 from the dealership.

Pop out the glove box (pulling pushing and tugging... I didn't have a clue, and I didn't break it : ) That's just to make your space easier... you MIGHT be able to get to it with it, but don't bother. Unscrew the panels that are just below the glove box (I think I had to move the carpet that went up there a bit). Up inside there, there are 2 bolts holding the resistor in place, and it's wiring harness... pull the harness, unscrew and put everything back together with the new part.

I stumbled through it in 30 minutes, I'm a weakling 5 foot tall chick, and spent more time checking out cool stuff than actually working on it : )

I kept the old one, but my digi camera is went on a trip and didn't come back (needs to be shipped soon, I miss it!) Or I'd show you what it looks like...
Angella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 09:37 PM   #7
Dehner Motorsports
AF Newbie

I agree Angella, it was entirely too simple to pay the dealer. The actualy part name is The Blower Motor Resistor, as the ballast resistor is for the ignition, but thanks for sending me in the right direction. I popped out the haynes manual, and followed the wiring diagram. I noticed that all the wires went through the resistor, except high speed, and it goes right to the blower motor.

The piece looks like a credit card, that slides up into the dash.

Angella, you got jacked around on price. I only paid $4.26

Mastersbilt Chassis
Chevrolet 406 BMF Racing Engine
World Heads
D.U.I. Distributor
C&S Specialties 890 Aersol Billet Carburetor
Old 01-21-2004, 10:54 PM   #8
Angella
AF Regular

yep, I sure did : )

that's definitely the part... sooo easy : ) like a credit card, in size, but a little thicker... and the socket for the wire harness was at the end : )

I guess it's ok that I paid too much (I'll know next time, and I wanted it fixed immediately - I didn't want to wait). lol, I guess if you consider the fact that the dealership service peeps are the one's that told me what the problem was (diagnosed over the phone!) and how to change it, it was work the extra $8 : )

I didn't know the name of it, so I didn't try to correct TigerShark... I thought it had blower in the name though : ) didn't matter to me, they knew from description what I was talking about : )
Old 03-09-2004, 08:17 AM   #9
oleniub
AF Newbie

I was wondering if anyone did have some descriptions or pictures or where this is located. I have the exact same problem yet have a convertable. Can anyone help??
oleniub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 06:49 PM   #10
Angella
AF Regular

mine's a vert too... but I didn't take any pics : (

the glove box actually pulls out, giving you more room to work...

it's up under the passenger side dash - just start taking off panels (move the carpet) and you'll find it. Or, check out a manual (libraries have some manuals).

sorry I'm not more help. : (
Old 03-14-2004, 03:57 PM   #11
oleniub
AF Newbie

Thanks everyone for all the help.

I found that you can leave the glove box in and just untighten one small bolt in the middle under the glove box where there is a carpeted panel. No need to take of any side sections of the car. You'll have to lay on the floor and look up underneath the glove box on the passenger side. Really easy to do.

Unscrew a couple of bolts on this credit card looking part (which only costs about $5), pull out the plastic piece with the wires and replace it with the new one. Screw it back in with the two screws and you're all done. Definetely a do it yourself project.
oleniub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 02:57 PM   #12
cwnewkirk
AF Newbie

Question Re: Re: Fan switch control problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerShark
A ballast resistor is the guy who is responsible to reduce the electrical power that goes to the fan.
It may go directly (speed 4) or pass through the resistor (speeds 1-3).
The more resistance you have the less power you get.
I had the same problem long ago, but actually I did not replace it myself
- so I have no idea where this guy lives
It's not gonna be difficult to replace it, because that took not longer than 15 minutes (I had a warranty)

Good luck
I have the same problem almost...
On my convertable the two top fan speeds work fine and the lowest two fan speeds...dead. From your experience should I try this fix?
cwnewkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 02:57 PM   #13
cwnewkirk
AF Newbie

Re: Fan Switch Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldengineer
The fan switch on my 2001 Sebring 4 door has died twice. Same problem you have - lower 3 speeds stop working. Dealer replaced resistors once under warranty. The second replacement cost me $60 at dealer. Apparently this resistor assembly is mounted on the back of the fan switch .

Regards:
Oldengineer
On my convertable the two top fan speeds work fine and the lowest two fan speeds...dead. From your experience should I try this fix?
Old 09-25-2004, 02:58 PM   #14
cwnewkirk
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angella
NO!!! don't pay a dealer, this one is soo easy, and you'll feel good for doing it yourself : ) Course, you might be on your head too much for your liking... your call : )

This is such a common problem, and best of all, the replacement part isn't any better than the original (so it'll break again in a few years : )

I believe it is up under the dash in all of these cars... mine is an 01 sebring lxi vert. I called the dealship (I love this place) told them my problem - the guy told me what it was and how to get to it...

If you have a similar model, yours will be in the same place... part was $12 from the dealership.

Pop out the glove box (pulling pushing and tugging... I didn't have a clue, and I didn't break it : ) That's just to make your space easier... you MIGHT be able to get to it with it, but don't bother. Unscrew the panels that are just below the glove box (I think I had to move the carpet that went up there a bit). Up inside there, there are 2 bolts holding the resistor in place, and it's wiring harness... pull the harness, unscrew and put everything back together with the new part.

I stumbled through it in 30 minutes, I'm a weakling 5 foot tall chick, and spent more time checking out cool stuff than actually working on it : )

I kept the old one, but my digi camera is went on a trip and didn't come back (needs to be shipped soon, I miss it!) Or I'd show you what it looks like...
Old 09-25-2004, 02:59 PM   #15
cwnewkirk
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehner Motorsports
I agree Angella, it was entirely too simple to pay the dealer. The actualy part name is The Blower Motor Resistor, as the ballast resistor is for the ignition, but thanks for sending me in the right direction. I popped out the haynes manual, and followed the wiring diagram. I noticed that all the wires went through the resistor, except high speed, and it goes right to the blower motor.

The piece looks like a credit card, that slides up into the dash.

Angella, you got jacked around on price. I only paid $4.26