Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 11:32 AM   #1
rk3442
AF Newbie

Question 1996 Taurus Electrical Problems - HELP!

Help....Help....Help! I have a 1996 Taurus GL with a serious electrical problem. In "park" and "neutral" all systems work fine. In "drive" and "reverse" the power steering doesn't work, there is no sound from radio, power windows, rear defroster and intermittant wipers don't work. There is also a rapid clicking sound coming from under the dash. Any advice would be appreciated.
rk3442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:56 PM   #2
volscot
AF Newbie

My 96 GL developed exactly the same systems about 2 weeks ago and I haven't found the solution yet, either. I suspect that the clicking is a relay picking up and dropping out. I looked under the dash and saw that there is a row of 4 relays above right end of the brake pedal. I've looked at both Haynes & Chilton and neither of them identify these relays.

Can anyone help? With the clicking, it's gotta be a relay but I don't just want to start changing relays willy-nilly if someone here can point me to the right one.

Thanks in advance.

Scot
volscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 12:00 AM   #3
volscot
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Taurus Electrical Problems - HELP!

Meant to say that my 96 GL developed exactly the same symptoms.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:45 PM   #4
volscot
AF Newbie

Bumping. Does anybody have any ideas? I'm getting desparate.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:00 PM   #5
volscot
AF Newbie

I've Found Some Answers

After much looking, I've finally found a couple of things to help with this problem. The first is an easy work-around. The second is a more involved true fix.

Work Around
Remove the cover from the interior fuse panel (under the dash on the driver's side) and remove the Radio Mute fuse. It should be the fuse on the far right in the next to bottom row. The fuse panel cover has an index of the fuses printed on the outside. I found this info here.

I did this tonight and drove around for about 15 minutes to see if it worked. It did. Everything worked perfectly!

Actual Fix
Adjust or replace the Transmission Range Sensor. I found this info here. The TRS was formerly called the Neutral Safety Switch. Info about locating/adjusting the TRS can be found here. There is also a section on removing/installing/adjusting it in the Chilton manual (Section 7-2).

Hope this helps.

Scot
Old 01-07-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
rk3442
AF Newbie

Scot,

Thanks for the advice. I tried it and everything started working again. I was a day away from taking it to the dealer. Your research definately paid off. You just saved me a bunch of cash. Thanks for your help.

Bob
rk3442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 12:32 PM   #7
volscot
AF Newbie

Unhappy Well...Not Quite Fixed

Today, everything worked great on the way in to work and on the way to lunch. When I got in my car to drive back to work from lunch, I had no power steering. All of the other symptoms are still gone, but there was no power steering for the 2 mile drive back to work.

Oh well, I guess I may have to tackle the real fix this weekend.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:23 PM   #8
iowabaldguy
AF Newbie

Angry Almost the same problem with my '97

I have the same symptoms with my '97, but not while I am in reverse, but while driving: The radio cuts out and the display/user interface is unresponsive or the clock resets to 12:00. Sometimes I get garbled characters on the display. The power steering goes stiff, too. If I shut off everything(lights, heater fan, etc.) and restart the car, the power steering goes back to normal, but I have to reset my clock. The radio stations I programmed are retained, though.

I tried the work around with the radio mute fuse, but I still get the same symptoms. I'm going to try to do the TR sensor fix this weekend and hopefully it will fix the problem on the 97 as well.

How much is the TR sensor?
iowabaldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 04:24 PM   #9
dukebonaventura
AF Newbie

I just got my car back from the dealer and it was $350 for parts and labor...but changing the Transmission Range Sensor was the answer!
dukebonaventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 04:11 PM   #10
angeiboz
AF Newbie

I did my TR sensor my self, it’s really easy (I'm a girl), and the part was only about 40.00. It fixed all my strange electric problems.
angeiboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:31 PM   #11
tbsierra
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks so much for the help! I was freaking out on the way home cause my car just suddenly starting doing what was described above. I will give this to my dh in the morning and he can hopefully fix it before he goes to work.
Tiffany
tbsierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:34 AM   #12
robo45h
AF Newbie

TRS = Neutral Saftey Switch

I can confirm that this simple part replacement cured our 97 Taurus. It started with the radio cutting out intermittently in heavy rain, and progressed to constant cutting out combined with non-working power windows, power locks that wouldn't stay down, and power steering loss in reverse. In addition, as the problem progressed, the car would be "speed limited" as if it refused to shift out of lower gears or something.

Important point, though. Most all articles I found on the Internet (including this one) refer to the part primarily as a "Transmission Range Sensor." Nope. Sorry. Not if you're talking about a 97 Taurus. All the parts sites (including Ford) refer to this part as the Neutral Saftey Switch (as someone else posted above saying this was the "old" name). It may be called a TRS in newer years; not sure. But in 97 it was not a TRS. Plus, most mechanics and parts people I spoke to weren't really familiar with a TRS, but knew instantly what a Neutral Safety was.

Some interesting side points in addition to that major point:
  • The part cost me about $40 after market. What I received turned out to be (99% probability) a genuine Ford part -- but the part number and logo had been removed with a grinder. I suspect this was an outdated version of the part "B" vs. the version "C" I removed from the car. Hopefully, this isn't a recalled version that will cause a problem! I didn't have much choice though due to the immediate need for the part.
  • Remember to set the parking break and work on a level surface (and preferably use wheel chocks) when removing the old NS switch and installing the new one. Once the shift lever is disconnected from the transmission, it takes amazingly little force at all to rotate the arm out of the Park position, which can cause the car to move if you haven't taken the aforementioned precautions. Trust me on this.
  • The confirmation test suggested by a Ford bulletin was handy. Start the car, disconnet the wiring harness from the NS Switch, and see if the problems are gone. You can drive around and test it.
  • Overall, it was a fairly easy fix! Biggest hurdle: most "typical" auto stores (Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc.) don't carry this part. And the places that do carry the part, such as Car Quest or the Ford Dealer aren't open on Sunday (at least here in my part of Penna.).
robo45h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #13
RalphJG
AF Newbie

Re: I've Found Some Answers

Hi,

I tired your links and they do not seem to work now. Any chance I can get to those site. My problem is about the same but it is more on the lines of the transmission. Cold it runs fine. If I park the car and then come out even after 4 hours, it shifts hard. I am looking for anything to avoid a replacment trans. I have 156.000 and change. Been a while since the fluid is was changed. I don't want a power flush. Any suggestions?
RalphJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #14
shorod
SHO No Mo

Welcome to the forum!

I'd suggest you change the fluid and filter. I don't think the DTR sensor will fix your hard shifting. That could be due to the old fluid, could be a Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) sensor that is out of range, or something else that one of the transmission gurus will need to chime in on.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #15
RalphJG
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: 1996 Taurus Electrical Problems - HELP!

thank you shorod. I took the car to my nearest AAMCO shop and they ran a diag on it and they said that there is internal problems and they will not doa flush and replace the filter beacuse they do not want to disturb the fluid due to possibly large pieces of metal that could get lodged and kill the car. I have never heard of anything. I did not think to ask for a printout of what the internal problems are. Where do you suggest I go from here? Anyone?
RalphJG is offline   Reply With Quote