Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 10:09 PM   #1
Minot
AF Newbie

What car will drive the most miles and last the longest?

I got into a discussion at work today on what car would last the longest and drive the most miles. It will probably be my next purchase when my current car enters auto-heaven. My officemates and I concluded that we didn't know enough about automobiles to make an education decision. So I thought I would present it here.

I like to buy a car and stick with it. My current car is a 1996 Chrysler Cirrus LX with the Mitsubishi 2.5L V6. At 101,300+ miles I can hardly complain. She's been a champ. But I pamper my car. I never drive her over 80, I keep my RPMs below 3000, I use Mobil-1 Synthetic oil and ensure regular maintenance is always accomplished. What I want for my next car is one that will simply drive forever under the relatively mild trials I put my automobiles through.

I always assumed I would get a Honda Accord V6 next. My wife has a 2002 Civic EX and loves it. Nonetheless, I'm not sure. Price isn't too much of a factor. I'd be willing to pay up to $28,000 for an immortal champ. I'm considering primarily the Honda Accord (6 and 4 cyl), Toyota Camry (6 and 4 cyl) and the BMW 325i. After my success with the Cirrus' Mitsubishi engine, I'm also considering some of the rally cars such as the Mitsubishi Lancer, the Subaru Impreza WRX. Heck anything is open for that matter. I want to know what this knowledgeable car community recommends. I'd even be happy with another Civic if that's the longest lasting car for the money.

So I put it to you. What do you say? What car has the potential to survive the most miles and last the longest with good loving care for the most reasonable price?

-MINOT-
Minot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:16 PM   #2
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Re: What car will drive the most miles and last the longest?

all cars will, these days, simple as that- especially when well maintained

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:12 PM   #3
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: Re: What car will drive the most miles and last the longest?

Any cars thats well maintianed and used for the purpose it was designed for should last more than a reasonable amount of time.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:33 PM   #4
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino

diesel engines as a general rule last longer than gasoline ones not to mention amazing gas mileage...

so you should look into a diesel sedan

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:53 PM   #5
Minot
AF Newbie

Wow, I'm actually surprised. I thought there would be some definite preference toward Japanese and European cars. From the sounds of it you all agree that anything will last if properly cared for. Then I guess the question is whether the larger engine run softely will provide any benefit, or whether I'd be wasting my money? Would I be better off with the V6 Accord or Camry than their 4 cyl versions?

-MINOT-
Minot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:38 AM   #6
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

From my experiance the engines that have lasted the longest are the ones that are used the most.

i.e. a large V8 only ever driven at 50kph to the shops will not last as long as a small underpowered 4cyl doing the same run, and like wise for an under powered car being run frequently at high speed.
(Hondas however seem to be an exception, they love to rev, and the older engines especialy seem to last for ever run at high rpm, while if run at low rpm for long periods of time develop problems with the rings).

You should choose the car that best suits your needs.
If your going to be doing a lot of high speed and open road driving, i.e frequent trips away on weekends, or you have a long comute to work on the open road then a more powerful engine is a better choice, it will be less stressed, and will often get better milage as a result.
If your only ever going to be going short distances, or have a comute stuck in traffic at slow speeds then a smaller less powerful engine is all you need, and should wear better and use less gas.

Think of all cars as having a minimum and maximum performance envelope, and you need to find the one that fits your needs the best for it to perform the best, in all its aspects.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:30 AM   #7
crayzayjay
CFA

BMW and Honda probably make the best diesel engines in the world. Pick up a diesel 3-series or accord and you won't go wrong.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 04:34 AM   #8
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Re: Re: Re: What car will drive the most miles and last the longest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzayjay
BMW and Honda probably make the best diesel engines in the world. Pick up a diesel 3-series or accord and you won't go wrong.
I"d probably say really, that if you are going to buy a car, then the engineers choice'd be a BMW or Honda, both makers are truly amazing

BMW still make the best diesels IMHO, I haven't sampled one of Hondas latest.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 04:40 AM   #9
Moppie
Master Connector

Re: Re: Re: Re: What car will drive the most miles and last the longest?

Ummm, Honda has alomst no experiance with Diesel engines, I think you might be refering to thier Two Strokes, which are regarded as the best in the world.

At the moment Honda is about to start useing Izuzu diesels in exchange for V6 petrol engine designs with GM.

.....infact I can't think of a single mass produced Honda model that came with a deisel engine.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:59 AM   #10
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What car will drive the most miles and last the longest?

Nope. Referring to Honda's newly introduced diesels, which are getting some incredible reviews
Old 12-22-2003, 02:55 AM   #11
Moppie
Master Connector

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What car will drive the most miles and last the longest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzayjay
Nope. Referring to Honda's newly introduced diesels, which are getting some incredible reviews
And I think you'll find that if you dig a little bit past the P.R. B.S. you will find that they we're built with a lot of input from Izuzu
Old 12-22-2003, 03:26 AM   #12
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What car will drive the most miles and last the longest?

I'll have to check on that
Old 12-22-2003, 03:37 AM   #13
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino

what about mercedes diesels...i don't think those would be pushovers either

also here in the US the best diesels by far ar the cummins

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:43 AM   #14
crayzayjay
CFA

BM's diesels are better than Merc's
Old 12-24-2003, 06:21 PM   #15
stealthj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stealthj

yeah mercedes diesels keep going and going also
but for longest lasting??

hmm...id say toyota camry or honda accord

or just hondas and toyotas in general