Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 12:47 AM   #1
kellyculleen
AF Newbie

Pontiac Transport Head Gasket Repair Costs

I have a 97 Pontiac Transport that has had a new transmision put in it just this last year and now I'm told that I have to get the head gasket repaired. There is water in the oil pan and it sounds like the pistons are knocking hard. We have already payed $3k for the trani. And I was told by one shop that it was going to cost me another $3k to $6k. I'm wondering if it would just be cheaper and better to get a whole new engine for it. We still owe +$8k on it. We don't know what to do.

Need help deciding best course to take. I need imput.
kellyculleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 01:12 AM   #2
Impromp2
AF Newbie

Re: Pontiac Transport Head Gasket Repair Costs

Wow. You just described our exact same Lemon. Right down to the amount owed on the heap. I just ran into the head gasket prob this afternoon (Been wondering where my anti-freeze has been going for the past three days). The tranny prob, I took care of three years ago for about 2k. Haven't checked into the head gasket yet (Still trying to get the gunk off my hands from today). I'm also looking to scrap the whole thing if the cost is too outrageous. It's just not worth it anymore. Pls let me know what you find out and I'll do the same. Luck and patience...
Impromp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:46 AM   #3
mom of three
AF Newbie

If it were me I would probably park it and look around I found a 96 transport for $3200. If you could find this good of a deal it might do you good to keep that one for parts and start over, instead of putting that much into the one you have.
mom of three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:10 AM   #4
rfcomm2k
AF Newbie

No matter how you look at it, you will have to pay off the vehicle. Do you really want to have another car in the yard just for parts? And if you trade it in, what you owe will be tacked on to the new car cost. Have a mechanic look the car over entirely and tell you what needs to be replaced soon (tires, shocks, rear end? suspension, etc) Then decide if investing that much is worth it. 4 years ago my Transport blew an engine (Well, the wife did it) and she was against spending $4k to replace it. Car is still running, albeit there is a new problem that surfaced recently. But paying $1k per year to have a vehicle is relatively cheap by today's standards.
rfcomm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:32 AM   #5
MDN66
AF Newbie

By all means you are very correct. As much as aperson doesn't like to sink money into a vehicle, sometimes you just have to do it. Like he said $1k a year is cheap! It's better than a $200-500 payment. I baught a 96' transport 7 years ago, I got lucky a found out it was the only one that didn't get really bad marks in the consumer mags. I bought an extended warranty on it. I had an intake manifold go bad, windsheild wipers quit, window swithes(7 times!) all covered by the warranty. It deffinately paid itself off. Now it's paid off and I drive the thing 160miles a day almost 3 times a week. It's been an exelent van. I just hope I can keep it that way for a long time.
MDN66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:36 AM   #6
biglistofmods
AF Regular

that's tough. i would see if there are any recalls on it. if not i have to say your s.o.l
biglistofmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 03:35 PM   #7
mayaman
AF Newbie

hi guys my intake manifold went last year cost to repair n CDN $ 1100 by GM dealer with a one year warranty this problem arises im told due to the expansion rates of block and manifold made of different metals common in Chyrsler ford and GM
mayaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 06:26 PM   #8
LMP
AF Enthusiast

What engine is that about? 3.1? - probably -
3.8? probably not: this beast endures
3.4..was it already in in 97?
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:35 PM   #9
Stuart1003
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Pontiac Transport Head Gasket Repair Costs

Out of curiosity...I am having window problems and it seems that a number of people on the internet have replaced their motors, only to have them fail in a few weeks or months. With all of the replacement of your switches, did it ever, ever solve the problems and did the dealer ever tell you what was the cause of the problems or..was it simply just faulty mass produced switches? or was their some electrical resistive issues either in the wire loom or motor or motor circuit breaker ...

Of course, I go to the dealer, it is automatic for them to just do wholesale component replacements without ever disclosing the cause of the problems, so be fore I go in this direction pleas let me know was was the subsequent outcomes of the replaced switches and did it finally cure the problems?

Stuart 1003
Stuart1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:44 AM   #10
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

if it's a 3.4, I would look at the intake mainfold gasket as the culprit. they are prone to fail and will cause coolant in the oil. If it's a 3800, the plastic upper plenum is known to crack at the coolant passage behind the throttle body. Much easier repair and much chaper than upper end overhaul.
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport