Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 01:31 AM   #16
dingobait
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: 2000 Rodeo check engine light/no gas guage

Fuel pressure regulator part # for 1999 Rodeo: 8-17113-398-0

Cost $54 from St. Charles Auto, http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/ (my local dealer's cost is $75. St. Charles Isuzu got it to me overnight for $65 which is cheaper than the local dealer sells it for. Funny that I could get it quicker and cheaper from Wisconsin than from the dealer down the street here in California). I was in contact with a guy named Merlin. Great service.

See below for tips on changing this part in a 1999 V6 Rodeo M/T. Read the whole thing prior to starting the job.

I replaced the regulator in about 40 minutes and I wasn't rushing. It seems to have completely fixed these problems:
1) Erratic Idle (needle now rock solid at 750 RPM)
2) Frequent stalling at idle - doesn't stall at all
3) Hard starting - starts like it used to. No need to give it gas.
4) Intermittent CEL light - gone

The regulator has no electrical connections. It is a diaphragm operated relief valve mounted on the fuel rail.

Before attempting to change the part, you need to ensure that you remove all fuel pressure from the system. The following procedure from the service manual works like a charm. I used this procedure and there was absolutely no fuel pressure in the system. No fuel leakage at all when I removed the regulator.

Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure (works great).

1) Remove the fuel cap.
2)Remove the fuel pump relay from the underhood relay box.
3) Start the engine and allow it to stall.
4) Crank the engine for 30 seconds.
5) Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Caution - to reduce the risk of fire and injury, it is necessary to release fuel system pressure before servicing fuel system components. Even after relieving fuel system pressure, a small amount of fuel will likely be released when servicing fuel line connections. Cover fuel line fittings with a shop towel before disconnecting the fittings in order to absorb any fuel that may leak out.

Leave the fuel pump relay out and the battery disconnected while you change the part.

Changing the part on a 1999 Rodeo is a bit different than the service manual shows. The regulator does not screw into the fuel rail. It sits down into the rail and is held in place by a snap ring.

Once you have removed the fuel line and the bracket that blocks access to the regulator you will clearly see the regulator and the snap ring.

Before you start the job make sure that you have a pair of snap ring pliers that fit. Use the new snap ring that comes with the part to ensure your tool will do the job.

You will also need to modify a 6mm allen wrench by cutting the short end to within approximately 1/4" of the 90 degree bend. You will need it to remove the rear most of the 2 bolts that mount the bracket that is over the regulator. Ideally you should have two 6mm allen wrenches, an unmodified one for the front bolt and the modified one for the back bolt.

For ease of removal of the snap ring that holds the regulator in place on the fuel rail, it can be easily rotated once you have access to it by hand using the fuel line nipple for leverage. This enables you to turn it to a position where the snap ring is easily maneuvered out.

Make sure that you remove all parts of the old regulator from the fuel rail before attempting to install the new one. Make sure that you remove the large blue o-ring, the wire mesh screen and the small black o-ring from inside the fuel rail. Just make sure that you remove all of the parts that you see on the new regulator.

Once you have it all back together, install the fuel pump relay and hook up the negative battery cable. Also make sure that you put the fuel cap back on.

Start it up. Done.

Thanks a million Amigo 2K. You have ensured that my upcoming road trip this weekend will be much smoother.

Mark
dingobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:02 AM   #17
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

AWESOME writeup Mark!
THANKS

Joel
rodeo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:29 AM   #18
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Re: 2000 Rodeo check engine light/no gas guage

Mark,
Great writeup bud! It was so good that I copy and pasted it right into my FAQ (close to 1000 hits by week 3).

Make sure you head out for a beer tonight to celebrate all the $$$ you saved!

Cheers!
-Ryan

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 01:50 PM   #19
dingobait
AF Regular

Re: Re: 2000 Rodeo check engine light/no gas guage

You are all very welcome. I thought that it was the least I could do as payment for all of the great help I received from the forum. After all, that's why we're all here right? No sense in reinventing the wheel when the knowledge is already available.

Now I can go and meet my east coast friends in Vegas this weekend without worrying about the problems that this easy fix eliminated.

Road trip.

Thanks everyone. Talk to you soon.
Mark
dingo01@verizon.net
Old 02-27-2004, 04:59 PM   #20
suvguy
AF Newbie

Sending Unit

Nube here, so what about those of us that are out of the factory warranty? I just purchased a '00 Rodeo w/3.2L that has 64K on it and at half tank or less the gas gauge goes nuts as well as the low fuel light, and I have P0463 code and CEL light.

I'm trying to get the dealer to fix this, but it's not covered under their 3mo/3K mile warranty. Only angle I have now is I have to get this thing E-checked here in Ohio and I know they won't do it with the CEL on, and the dealer guarentees it will pass E-check. From the looks of it, they have simply been disconnecting the battery when the light comes on till they sell it, and they sold it with a full tank of gas so it took a few days for the problem to appear.

Anyway, long story short, if I can;t get the dealer to fix this, and the sending unit is seperate part number, what is that part number and how much does it cost, and does St. Charles carry it?

Thanks
suvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 06:29 PM   #21
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Check my FAQ and you will find the part number. Cost about 40 bucks.

Car Show Tips

Old 03-03-2004, 05:22 PM   #22
dingobait
AF Regular

Hey everyone,
I am back from my roadtrip and very happy to report that changing the fuel pressure regulator on my 99 Rodeo V6 absolutely fixed these problems.

1) Erratic Idle (needle now rock solid at 750 RPM)
2) Frequent stalling at idle - doesn't stall at all
3) Hard starting - starts like it used to. No need to give it gas.
4) Intermittent CEL light - gone

I still have the fuel gauge problem but that is supposedly going to be addressed on a recall in the near future.

Many thanks for all of the help.
Mark
Old 03-03-2004, 05:34 PM   #23
rszappa1
AF Newbie

about that recall

Still waiting for the information from dennosmith on that one...I called and emailed nhtsi and they are not aware of a pending recall....
rszappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:26 PM   #24
dingobait
AF Regular

Re: about that recall

Yeah, I checked with 2 dealers also and they know nothing at all about any upcoming recall for the fuel gauge problem.

The NHTSA site doesn't show anything as of today http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Seems to me that when I saw the information about an upcoming recall here on the forum the person indicated that the NHTSA had contacted them by phone. Hmmmm....

Mark
dingo01@verizon.net
Old 03-08-2004, 08:57 PM   #25
Jim Donoho
AF Newbie

For what it is worth, I just replaced a fuel regulator a couple of weeks ago. Its a pretty easy job. The most difficult part, and it took as long as every thing else I did, was to get the 2 fuel hoses off and back on. Somebody should build a tool for that. 1 1/2 foot of hose cost $7.00. Next time I will spend the 7 bucks and just cut it off. Now that I see what your paying, I feel bad that I spend $74.00 for the regulator.
Jim Donoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:55 PM   #26
rweldy
AF Newbie

Talking Thanks!

I can't thank you guys enough. My Isuzu dealer tried to get $600 out of me for a new fuel pump when all I needed was the fuel sending unit. Plus on top of that didn't tell me that it was covered under warranty. After reading this forum, I let him know that it was covered and I got away with no charge. IT IS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY!!
rweldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 01:15 PM   #27
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Great to hear it!

Make sure you bookmark this site and come back if you have any future problems!

-Ryan

Car Show Tips

Old 03-12-2004, 03:58 PM   #28
Davejb
AF Regular

Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweldy
I can't thank you guys enough. My Isuzu dealer tried to get $600 out of me for a new fuel pump when all I needed was the fuel sending unit. Plus on top of that didn't tell me that it was covered under warranty. After reading this forum, I let him know that it was covered and I got away with no charge. IT IS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY!!
Your dealer gave in quicker than mine did, I had to call Isuzu customer relations and have them call my dealer to get mine covered, even then it took 4 trips for them to get it right.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:37 AM   #29
cindyo37
AF Newbie

Angry Re: 2000 Rodeo check engine light/no gas guage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo02
Search this site, or try http://www.forum.planetisuzoo.com/ -or- http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?Cat=&C=15 and you will see this is a very common issue with 1998-2000 rodeo V6's. The electrical contacts on the fuel tank sending unit loose good contact (the wiper & board), which causes your fuel gage to not function properly & causes the CEL to light up. You have to pull the gas tank to remove the sending unit to fix this. You can bend the contacts back together, or replace the whole sending unit. Either fix will last about the same- about 30-50Kmi. This issue was resolved for 2001+

G/luck
Joel
Hi, This problem was not resolved for 2001 models. I have a 2001 rodeo sport and this is why I'm at this site. Over a year ago took rodeo to dealer because of gas smell inside of vehicle real strong. Supposed to have fixed it but the smell is back again and now the gas gauge goes crazy. I put 15.00 gas in it and the gas gauge goes up to maybe 1/4 tank then back down below E with the gas light blinking. We have to keep up with how much and often we put gas in tank because we don't know what we have in there. And I wonder since alot of the things in this suv are computerized will anything shut down because the gauges are showing no gas at all. We haven't contacted Isuzu about this problem, it just started with the gas gauge but for the last year and a half you could smell the strong gas smell inside the vehicle. And is this dangerous?
cindyo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:43 PM   #30
Davejb
AF Regular

Gas fumes inside the vehicle are extremely dangerous, not to mention bad for you. Get the vehicle into a dealer and get it fixed, shouldn't cost you anything for a new fuel pump.