Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sportage
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 07:57 PM   #1
89/429CJ Tbird
AF Newbie

Hold Button??

There's one on my Sportage shifter. What does it actually do?
89/429CJ Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
shelley1967
AF Newbie

Re: Hold Button??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89/429CJ Tbird
There's one on my Sportage shifter. What does it actually do?
This system modifies the automatic gear change while in forward driving only. Under normal operating conditionss the transmission starts in 1st gear and shifts through 2nd, 3rd and then to 4th gear, with the gear selector in Drive. Use the HOLD mode system when starting the vehicle from a complete stop on slippery surfaces such as snowy, slushy, or muddy roads, when driving up steep inclines, and for braking assistance when going down hills.
shelley1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:44 AM   #3
cbeck
AF Regular

So the hold keeps it in first gear?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
LMP
AF Enthusiast

No with the HOLD on, the car will start in 2nd and will shift to 3 at a much higher rpm than usual. It will not shift into 4th.
ALso, if you are stopped uphill at a traffic light with "HOLD on, the car will not back up : you need no brake and no throttle . THis is just like the "hill holder" that was available in former Studebakers . THe Ford FMX and C4 transmission and probably C6 also had this behaviour in "2".

My best use of it is for engine braking and also to "set" the engine in 3rd in preparation for a moderate to steep hill. Below 4000 this engne has no torque but if you rev it to 4000+ before the hill, it will climb effortlessly, although with a lot of buzz.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #5
sarahduke
AF Newbie

my 2000 sportage's hold button is lit up on the dash and it's not getting any power to it and I can't get it to go over 20 mph. I get can't the hold button to turn off...
sarahduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
rhodesmk
AF Newbie

Question Re: Hold Button??

The hold light on my 2000 Sportage started flashing at me this morning, and kept it up all the way to work, no matter how many times I pushed the button on the shifter.

Any ideas????
rhodesmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
e_powers
AF Regular

it is also an indicator to a transmission problem.
e_powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
Axe Man
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesmk
The hold light on my 2000 Sportage started flashing at me this morning, and kept it up all the way to work, no matter how many times I pushed the button on the shifter.

Any ideas????

I need to know what country you are in to determine if your Sportage is OBD-I or OBD-II.

Assuming you are located in the US your Sportage would be OBD-II. If that assumption is correct and the "hold" light is flashing then the CEL (check engine light) should be on too. Here is what you can do:

Go to Autozone and they will scan the ECM for free and readout the trouble codes. The codes will be formatted PXXXX, where XXXX is a series of numbers. One of the codes that WILL come out is P1624 which is the code to tell the engine computer to turn on the CEL because the transmission control unit detected a fault. But any OTHER codes that come out will be very key in identifying what the problem is. So get ALL the codes that scan out and post them here.
Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote