Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 12:39 PM   #1
Chuckk1
AF Newbie

Aurora Engine stalling

I've had this problem for over a year now. My '98 Aurora stalls at full stop. It always re-starts instantly and without hesitation. The stall comes very quickly, almost like a fuel cut-off situation. Sometimes it will catch and then 'surge' a bit. I've gotten in the habit of shifting to neutral when coming to a stop. I posted this problem on another site and the general consensus was the fuel pressure regulator. I changed that myself but it didn;t work. I took it to a dealer who, after charging me $280 to change the neutral safetly switch, cleaned the throttle body which seemed to clear it up but only for awhile. Anyone else have the stalling problem?
Old 11-06-2003, 04:14 PM   #2
Indy8
AF Enthusiast

Re: Aurora Engine stalling

Only at full operating temperature or when cold too? Only in drive? Try idle learn procedure and see if that helps.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:21 PM   #3
mike98c
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckk1
I've had this problem for over a year now. My '98 Aurora stalls at full stop. It always re-starts instantly and without hesitation. The stall comes very quickly, almost like a fuel cut-off situation. Sometimes it will catch and then 'surge' a bit. I've gotten in the habit of shifting to neutral when coming to a stop. I posted this problem on another site and the general consensus was the fuel pressure regulator. I changed that myself but it didn;t work. I took it to a dealer who, after charging me $280 to change the neutral safetly switch, cleaned the throttle body which seemed to clear it up but only for awhile. Anyone else have the stalling problem?
It was a G.M. direct replacement FPR I hope.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:09 PM   #4
Chuckk1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Aurora Engine stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy8
Only at full operating temperature or when cold too? Only in drive? Try idle learn procedure and see if that helps.
Usually when cold, but it will do it at op temp too. and today, it even shuddered AFTER I had put it in neutral. How do you do a "Learn idle", or did you mean "Lean"?
Old 11-07-2003, 07:25 PM   #5
Indy8
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Aurora Engine stalling

Idle learn is just a reset of your idle speed for the ECM. Turn key all the way "on"(not start), wait 30 seconds, turn to "off", wait 30 seconds, remove key.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:28 AM   #6
Chuckk1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Aurora Engine stalling

She idles very smoothly at 700 rpm, so I don't think it's the ECM. The FPR was a direct GM replacement (cost me $60 at the dealer). The stalling feels almost like a momentary huge load being put on the engine. The interior lights don't dim when it happens so I don't think it's electrical. The "dip" in power only lasts less than a second. The engine either stalls dead or recovers and surges up to about 1100 rpm for a few seconds, then slowly returns to 700 rpm. I've been to 3 shops (2 GM dealers) with this, and noone knows the answer.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:10 PM   #7
Indy8
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aurora Engine stalling

Internal combustion requires air, fuel, spark. Something is interrupting the flow of one of the three. A new FPR doesn't mean you have good, consistent fuel pressure from the pump, so check that. However, in these non-obvious situations, it's almost always ignition(engine management) related.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:43 AM   #8
dsatt12
AF Enthusiast

Sounds about like the symptoms I had when my egr valve was sticking all the way open. It'd run fine on the highway (when the egr valve should be full open), but in town all the exhaust gases would mess up the fuel air mix. I had to apply gas to keep it idling when it was stuck- maybe half the time.

I read on another forum that you can clean them with throttle body cleaner as long as you don't hold it so the fluid runs into the electronic module on the top of the thing.

I of course only read that AFTER having a mechanic replace mine. He also cleaned out the passages to/from the egr valve and the throttle body in general. It's been running great for the last 70,000 miles. I think I paid $200 for a new one from the dealer. I don't know if there are any aftermarket ones available.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:58 PM   #9
Chuckk1
AF Newbie

dstatt12, your analysis makes the most sense and is probably closer than anyone else has gotten to figuring out this stalling problem. But, wouldn't that EGR valve sticking throw a trouble code and/or cause the "Service Engine Soon" light to come on?
Old 11-10-2003, 03:43 PM   #10
Indy8
AF Enthusiast

It should. 90% of the built in diagnostics are for emission related components. If it's happening often, a shop(tech) should see it stall. For them to say they could not find the problem is BS. They either don't want to, don't care, or just plain lazy.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:32 PM   #11
dsatt12
AF Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure that it did cause the SES light to come on. Of course that was a few years ago...
Old 11-10-2003, 09:57 PM   #12
mike98c
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsatt12
Sounds about like the symptoms I had when my egr valve was sticking all the way open. It'd run fine on the highway (when the egr valve should be full open), but in town all the exhaust gases would mess up the fuel air mix. I had to apply gas to keep it idling when it was stuck- maybe half the time.

I read on another forum that you can clean them with throttle body cleaner as long as you don't hold it so the fluid runs into the electronic module on the top of the thing.

I of course only read that AFTER having a mechanic replace mine. He also cleaned out the passages to/from the egr valve and the throttle body in general. It's been running great for the last 70,000 miles. I think I paid $200 for a new one from the dealer. I don't know if there are any aftermarket ones available.
NAPA has OEM part but sometimes you save money with them and sometimes you don't.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:13 AM   #13
RorthStar
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to RorthStar

My SES light never came on when my valve was sticking...I thought it was kinda strange...
Old 12-17-2003, 06:23 AM   #14
RickyZ
AF Newbie

Aurora Stalling............

Chuck......I am having the same stalling problem on my 1997 Aurora. I don't see here on this forum that the cause was identified and remedied. Did you find and fix the problem? I too have had the vehicle at Olds multiple times and they have no clue....Planning to take it again next week unless find solution here....Please reply....
Old 12-17-2003, 06:58 AM   #15
RickyZ
AF Newbie

Indy8 / Chuck Aurora Stalling............

Indy8.......I too have stalling problems on my 97 Aurora while stopped and in drive. I don't know if Chuck resolved the problem and was hoping you may have some insight. It is driving me crazy and Olds has no clue what to do...thanks..