Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunfire > General Discussions
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 03:36 PM   #1
silversun03
AF Newbie

2003 sunfire oil filter!

I know its a dumb question and I know where it is, but I can't get it off. Has anyone tried to change the oil filter and what did you use to get it off. Sorry stupid question. I just got it and I am of course a girl. Trying to learn more about the care. thanks for any info.

Jenn
silversun03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:51 PM   #2
CevJuan238
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to CevJuan238
oil filter

No problem, I have a little sister who is also interested in her car!!!

I have found that with dealing with oil filters you really should invest the few bucks & purchase a oil filter removal tool which looks like a set of pliers with a rather-large round peice on the end. This tool allows you to place the circle end over the filter, clamp with your hand & turn to unscrew.

here's a link of what im talking about, You can pick one up at any automotive parts store...

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=SHOP&SourcePage=SEARCHR ESULTS&MfrCode=CSM&MfrPartNumber=82219&CategoryCod e=3401

Hope that helps!!!
CevJuan238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 05:20 AM   #3
Insane_Expression
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Dont need a oil filter tool

To change your oil filter on a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire, you need large pliars. You have to unscrew the top of the oil filter holder. Then take out the oil filter. It is not a screw on type oil filter. It is a drop in and then screw the top back on. Hope I helped. Need anymore info just email me at weyant@j2mdesigns.com or northgatefighter@yahoo.com.

Insane Expression
Insane_Expression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:14 AM   #4
thecanadian
AF Newbie

Hi
I've changed my filter many times Sunfire 02 and have gotten oil on me more times than I care to mention, as you have to remove the filter threw the wheel well on my modle(I found was the easiest way ). I like to go with a FRAM filter as it has a rough end for gripping this way you don't need any tools. If you need to use a tool, I found that the plastic /metal filter caps with a wrench works good.
** Note ** The 02 Sunfire has 2 places where the oil filter is depending on your engine one from the top and one underneath the car.
thecanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
greasemonkey42410
AF Newbie

Work for an oil change place

I saw your post and I work for a quick lube place. If you use a pair of pliers on that filter to much it will strip out the threads on the cap. The best way we have found to do them is use a 1 1/4" socket with a 1/2 inch ratchet with about a 6" extension to it. Make sure when you put in the new filter to inspect the rubber 0 ring around the top for cracks or tears and replace it if your new filter comes with one. The filter number for ours, since we use Purlolator brand filters, is a SL15436. Hope this helps.

Grease Monkey Man over and out.
greasemonkey42410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:52 AM   #6
Nmiller67
AF Newbie

Grease Monkey Man has it exactly right for a 2003 Sunfire. I went through the pain of trying to work it off with some pliers for about 5 minutes and the area is so tight to work with you will eventually strip the top off. It's worth the $7 to $10 dollar investment to get the 1 1/4" socket. Only additional add on to this is that it needs to be the short socket and not a long one or it will be obstructed just enough to not work. Go with the socket plus an extension and you'll be in business.

Thanks for everyone that contributed here. I find so many answers to my simple yet tough to answer questions on this forum.
Nmiller67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 02:05 PM   #7
pk5050
AF Newbie

2003 Sunfire Oil Filter

Thanks everyone for your help. I have owned, and changed the oil and filter, on many cars but was dumbfounded by the location of the oil filter on the 2004 sunfire. My next question has to do with the Oil Drain. I have tried a 15mm wrench and 5/8 wrench. They both seem sloppy and I am afraid to apply too much pressure so as not to strip the aluminum head. Any suggestions out there on how to remove the bolt?

Thanks..

..Paul
pk5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:59 AM   #8
sunfire_ca
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 Sunfire Oil Filter

I use the 15mm closed-loop wrench. It seems to fit snuggly.
sunfire_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
pk5050
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2003 Sunfire Oil Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfire_ca
I use the 15mm closed-loop wrench. It seems to fit snuggly.
Thanks..I'll give that a try and get a closed loop wrench. I was using an open ended wrench and I was afraid of stripping the bolt.
pk5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:20 PM   #10
adblink182
AF Enthusiast

changed the filter on my 02 sunfire a bunch of times and its a pain in the ass. Haven't tried going through the wheel well yet, what I end up doing is going to the passenger side of the car closest to the firewall, remove this "thing" (not sure what it is yet), it just 2 bolts then stick my hand down to the oil filter
adblink182 is offline   Reply With Quote