Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 07:47 AM   #1
jmartin7
AF Newbie

'92 Explorer Heater Core Replacement

Anyone know how to access the heater core?? Do you have to get to it from the engine compartment and by removing the dashboard, or just by removing the dashboard? I have the engine torn apart for a head gasket replacement, and don't want to reassemble the engine and later find out having it partially taken apart will help gain access to the heater core...need to start the project this weekend, so quick responses are appreciated.
jmartin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:54 AM   #2
rubin_2
AF Newbie

Question Re: '92 Explorer Heater Core Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin7
Anyone know how to access the heater core?? Do you have to get to it from the engine compartment and by removing the dashboard, or just by removing the dashboard? I have the engine torn apart for a head gasket replacement, and don't want to reassemble the engine and later find out having it partially taken apart will help gain access to the heater core...need to start the project this weekend, so quick responses are appreciated.
I too will need to do this on a '91 Explorer and was wondering how your project went? Any information you can provide on "due's and don'ts" would be greatly appreciated. I too have questions on how much you have to access the dash. I have heard some say you can do it through the glove box and others say you need to do more in removing the dash.

Help!
rubin_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:41 AM   #3
autoplaneguy
AF Newbie

Replacing heater core in Explorer

There's nothing to it! Pull down the glove box, and locate the 4 screws holding the lower panel covering it, I think they are 5/16" or 7mm , and of course remove the heater hoses fron the engine compartment .It is a good idea too since you are doing all this to replace those old heater
hoses both and use new clamps too.It is not hard at all, just be careful in installing the new heater core and transfer the foam pads from the old core if possible or get some foam padding and glue it to the appropiate
areas of the new core.Do also check your coolant as you do not want to put rusty bad coolant in the new core either.This is the easiest thing almost to do on your Explorer,easier than changing plugs
If you do not purge all the air out you will run hot, so don't forget to let it idle a while to get all the air out, radiator cap off initially and just let it idle . It may take 3 or 4 startups to fully purge it so recheck your coolant recovery bottle to see if it needs topping up.
(This might be the time to do a complete cooling system replacement,
all hoses , coolant and thermostat too)
autoplaneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
georound
AF Newbie

Re: '92 Explorer Heater Core Replacement

After reading this, it took all of 8 minutes to have the heater core in my hands. That has to be the best 300 dollars I didn't pay a mechanic!!!!
And Kragen lists the heater core for $16.99.
georound is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac