Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 07:51 PM   #1
athomas15
AF Newbie

+98 isuzu trooper buring oil excessively

I'm finding that the engine was buring oil excessively. The car only had 63,000 miles on it and I kept the oil changed regularly. I'm looking for anyone with the same trouble, I'm writing Isuzu.

Last edited by amigo-2k; 01-13-2006 at 08:18 PM.
athomas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 05:43 AM   #2
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Unfortunately high oil consumption is a common issue with mostly 1998-1999 isuzu 3.2 & 3.5L engines. If you research other isuzu sites, you'll see the suspected cause is inadequate drain-back holes in the oil control rings. The consumption seems to be mostly an annoyance & doesnt effect performance or reliabilty. Old design has something like 4 holes, new design has 10+ holes. On the old design, oil gets trapped above the ring(s) and burns off in the cylinder. Gets worse as the vehicle ages & the rings get dirty with age. If you are still under warranty, Isuzu will replace the short block if they determine oil consumption is over 1qt/1000miles. Make sure your PCV system is clean to keep crank-case pressure down. If it was my truck, I'd pull the spark plugs & soak the cylinders w/ an upper cylinder cleaner like marvel mystery oil, seafoam, etc..etc. I'd run a product like auto-rx (auto-rx.com) and maybe run a HIGH detergency oil for cleaning purposes. Check a website: bobistheoilguy.com. If you can clean those rings out to get them to drain the oil again, your consumption should drop. G/luck
Joel
rodeo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 10:44 PM   #3
1spunson
AF Newbie

Hello well i guess that i wasn't the only one with this problem!! i was just amazed at the loss of oil i would put it in and the next time i checked the oil level it was gone kinda like magik ! i kept looking in the drive way for huge oil spots and you know i found none!
now that my Trooper SLX has 70k miles i am past all that warranty b.s. i will try every thung i can to get the rings clean or if anyone has a newer short block for sale for cheap and if anyone has a Trooper 95 or newer thats for sale for cheap and can be wrecked or a blown motor etc...etc let me know i have cash!!!!!!!!
late
Andy
1spunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 12:31 PM   #4
agoulet
AF Newbie

Re: 98 isuzu trooper buring oil excessively

Quote:
Originally Posted by athomas15
I'm finding that the engine was buring oil excessively. The car only had 63,000 miles on it and I kept the oil changed regularly. I'm looking for anyone with the same trouble, I'm writing Isuzu.
Mine burned through around 4 qts in less than 1500kms. Problem is that the engine seized on me....yes, seized. No oil pressure light ever came on and i've had it for less than a month. Bought it from a dealer and because it's a 2000, i still qualify under 100k powertrain. Don't know if they'll pay for a new engine yet, still awaiting an answer. One thing for sure, this is a very common problem and i've found many posts and a service bulleting to this effect. It looks like it's either a small problem or no problem at all on some 3.5s, or it's a huge problem that results in engine damage or worse. The post below is right about isuzu's decision to change something based on an oil consumption test, which i would do pronto if i were you. Some of us didn't get the chance...

I hope it gets resolved since i really do love that truck. e-mail me if you'd like those other posts on various boards as well as service bulletin #s.

cheers
agoulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:34 PM   #5
cah
AF Newbie

I have a 95 Trooper. It was running rough so I arranged to have the plugs changed. Well, the plugs and plug wires were full of oil. My Isuzu has 85,000 miles, and I babied it. Is this something that is common for this engine?
cah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 08:23 AM   #6
frase54
AF Newbie

Angry Re: Re: 98 isuzu trooper buring oil excessively

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah
I have a 95 Trooper. It was running rough so I arranged to have the plugs changed. Well, the plugs and plug wires were full of oil. My Isuzu has 85,000 miles, and I babied it. Is this something that is common for this engine?
I have a 2000 trooper with 68,000 miles. Noticed I was burning oil as well. Took it to the dealer and they were unable to find anything wrong. They changed the oil and I went on my way until the engine seized up while I was traveling out of town. Trying to fight the dealer but may have to use other options
frase54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 03:51 PM   #7
billp
AF Newbie

All below, I also have a '98 Trooper that is consuming oil...1 litre / 1200 hwy kilometres (1 qrt / 800 hwy miles). It seems consumption is worse when city driving. No sign of leakage. Dealer is tracking oil consumption. The vehicle was bought used at 121,000 km (~80,000 miles). The dealer seems blank regarding consumption: they have done a detergent and hot oil soak. from the threads below it seems like a oil drain-back problem in oil control rings (and maybe be heightened by poor PCV system which increases crankcase pressure not aloowing the oil to drain effeciently). I'm going to follow through with dealer's oil consumption report and do more digging.

Athmos, please let me know of the response you recieve from Isuzu? we all should unite, coordinate and demand resolution.

-billp

Quote:
Originally Posted by athomas15
billp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 01:40 PM   #8
crismat11
AF Newbie

Red face Re: Re: 98 isuzu trooper buring oil excessively

Quote:
Originally Posted by billp
All below, I also have a '98 Trooper that is consuming oil...1 litre / 1200 hwy kilometres (1 qrt / 800 hwy miles). It seems consumption is worse when city driving. No sign of leakage. Dealer is tracking oil consumption. The vehicle was bought used at 121,000 km (~80,000 miles). The dealer seems blank regarding consumption: they have done a detergent and hot oil soak. from the threads below it seems like a oil drain-back problem in oil control rings (and maybe be heightened by poor PCV system which increases crankcase pressure not aloowing the oil to drain effeciently). I'm going to follow through with dealer's oil consumption report and do more digging.

Athmos, please let me know of the response you recieve from Isuzu? we all should unite, coordinate and demand resolution.

-billp
Hey, I also have a 98 Trooper. I have only had it for 4 months and the oil that it is using is unbelievable. I am about ready to pull my hair out. My husband thinks we need to trade it in and get something else but I am having a hard time with the fact. I love the vehicle and am confused about the oil consumption problem. I am afraid that the motor could blow any day with such a problem. Have you heard anything from anyone (Asthmos?) about what Isuzu is going to do about the problem. I am kind of stuck in a rut because I don't have warranty on the vehicle. Got any ideas?!

Please let me know if you find anything out. Thank you!
crismat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:23 PM   #9
kplusten
AF Newbie

Bought a 99 Trooper that was using a quart of oil every 450 miles. Replaced the PCV valve and cleaned out the line. Then had an oil flush (to loosen the oil rings) and put in Mobil 5W20. Have driven the car 1500 miles and the oil level is down maybe 1/4 quart. Next step is to add some BG44K to the gas to clean the cylinder heads, injectors, valves and power rings and see if the oil consumption stops even more. Might work for you as well, good luck.
kplusten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:04 PM   #10
2eyefishclaw
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2eyefishclaw Send a message via Yahoo to 2eyefishclaw

first of all I want it to be know that I am not taking up for Isuzu and I agree that oil consumption may be a bit higher than all other manufacturers.

Ii is my understanding that the vehicle owner should periodocly check his/her oil. Not only every 1,000 miles, but maybe every time you fill the fuel tank. There is an oil cap that can be removed for adding oil if you belive that iit is low enough to add.
most of the 3.2L engines hold around 5.5 quarts of oil if it is two quarts low it will not hurt the engine. Now to those of you who are saying you are burning 2 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles your truck should be smoking like a house fire.
before checking your oil run the vehicle for a few minutes shut it off dont go and pull the dipstick right away give the oil a minute to drain back down into the oil pan. But you are checking it when its cold no problem. After letting wal-mart of Firestone change your oil check it I bet they are only putting 5 quqrts in it guess what it needs more to reach the full mark. When you change you oil go ahead put five quarts in it it may show full on the dipstick now start it let it run for a minute shuit it off for a minute check it again I bet its half a quart low now do you think it burned a half a quart in a minute no the oil filter sucked it up. once again I am not meaning to step on any toes just making a few facts known to those who dont know.
2eyefishclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:05 AM   #11
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Good points 2eye. It seems the oil burners and blown motors seem to always follow the same scenario:
1) Owner does not change their own oil or care to lift the hood, uses "iffy" lube type places.
2) Owner bought the truck used & does not know the full history of the truck.
3) Owner is aware the engine uses oil, does not troubleshoot issue.
4) Owner noticed some engine noise after an extended, high speed travel, no oil showing on dipstick, engine has spun a rod bearing.

Joel
rodeo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 03:42 PM   #12
cruiserman
AF Newbie

Well, I do the work on my rigs, and my 2000 Trooper burns oil like it's going out of style. Consumption is ~2.5 quarts per 1k miles. It's going through a consumption test with the local dealer, and they've replaced the PCV valve and now want to clean the EGR valve. All on my dime BTW.

Even Isuzu's 1 quart per 1k miles spec is outrageous. Just a CYA so they don't have to replace every 3.5l engine out there. I should have kept my '86 Trooper. It burned oil, but it was supposed to, being a diesel.
cruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:40 PM   #13
gdfarrell
AF Newbie

I have a 1999 Isuzu Trooper S which has been burning oil at a rate of approximately 1 Qt for every 700 miles. I first noticed this when the vehicle oil light came on a about 20,000 miles and I had to replace of 4 quarts of oil. Since then I've had rings replaced with no significant improvement and have been back and forth to the dealer more times than I can count. I should have checked the web earlier for similar stories but I now waking up to this. I'm now at 48k miles and out of warranty due to age.

The dealer is just now fessing up to the fact that this is a known problem. If I had known earlier I would have stopped hitting my head against the wall.
gdfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:55 PM   #14
LLH007
AF Newbie

1999 Trooper - CAUTION

I wish I had found this website sooner! As a woman who thought buying a new 1999 Isuzu was a good choice - I recently found out otherwise.

My Trooper has been going through oil continually, while the dealer blamed the problem on me not getting the oil changed every 2000 miles!!

Here I am - 2 months (YES 2!!!) before my lease expires, my engine blew - the oil light did not come on - and I am stuck searching for reasonably priced Trooper engines. I will have to invest at a minimum $4000 so that I can turn the car back to the dealer!

Owners beware - regardless of when you added oil - if you think your Trooper has oil - monitor it weekly at a minimum.

I would hate to see anyone in my shoes!
LLH007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #15
brancher
AF Newbie

Unhappy Oil Consumption

Boy, wouldn't you know it! I've been wracking my brain as to why I'm losing so much oil with no leaks, and this must be it!

I have a '99 trooper, treat it like a baby as far as maintenance - synthetic oil, regular changes, good filters, etc, etc. The thing started losingjust a bit of oil at aroung 70k, but now at 86k, I just finished a trip to Charleston (all I-95), and I'm losing 2 qts per 600-100 miles!!

I took it in to the dealer after replacing the pcv, the dealer (of course) had "never seen this problem before"....yeah, right. They then insinuated I don't change my oil regularly. I felt like killing the guy (not really). But the rude comment did make me angry.

Anyway, the dealer cleaned out the EGR port, and said that shoudl clear it up. So I brought it back home and put new oil in - this time I got regular 10w-30 petroleum oil - just in case it starts losing it again.

Oh, by the way, Rodeo02, what you say may be true for a few folks, but by and large it's a bunch of crap. No one should have to check oil with every tank of gas, nor should a car with reasonable maintenance have to be 'second-guessed' after any interstate trip. I take exceptional care of my cars, and this is the first of its kind.

I am very disappointed - especially since this Trooper is a decent vehicle overall, and particularly since my other trucks and cars last forever - like 200k plus - without this kind of junk happening.

So, You're saying to clean out the oil drain holes? With Magic Mystery Oil? What if I do that, then go back to synthetic - say, 0W30 or something - should I expect to keep this thing cleaned out forever?

Frankly, I am not interested in making this truck a hobby. I like it, but it is a tool, not a project, and I would just as soon dump it as nurse a qt every 800 miles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Brancher

Last edited by brancher; 07-01-2004 at 05:52 PM.
brancher is offline   Reply With Quote